Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Flowers are dying, wwyd?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:48 pm
I got stunning flowers for yom tov and they're dying out! I'm so disappointed. I can't decide if I should go back to the store tomorrow. Wwyd?

doodlesmom

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:52 pm
Definitely speak to them.
I specifically asked for flowers that last long vs. ones I prefer.
I’ve once heard something weird that if someone is on their period they will make flowers die. Anyone ever heard of it?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:56 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Definitely speak to them.
I specifically asked for flowers that last long vs. ones I prefer.
I’ve once heard something weird that if someone is on their period they will make flowers die. Anyone ever heard of it?

Ha, that's weird. I'm not on my period.
We ordered from my MIL from the same place and they're dying as well. The flowers didn't look fresh when they arrived. My siblings got from a different place and they're also dying. It's so disappointing to spend so much on flowers and they die so fast. It didn't look fresh to begin with.

isrmss91

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 10:59 pm
What type of flowers? If they are hydrangeas, they really don't last. If I get hydrangeas, I try misting them with a spray bottle.

Goody2shoes

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:00 pm
Can it be the heat that's killing it?
I heard that if you add add sugar to the water it should stay fresh longer

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:06 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
What type of flowers? If they are hydrangeas, they really don't last. If I get hydrangeas, I try misting them with a spray bottle.

It's a ready made arrangement with many different types of flowers. Orchids, roses, peonies, hydrangea, some other one's that I don't know the names. They're all wilting dying out. I sprayed them a couple of times and left the AC on all shabbos. It doesn't seem like they used fresh flowers.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:09 pm
I didn’t buy before Shabbos because didn’t expect them to last till shavuos. I’ll try to buy tomorrow. I feel sorry for you but live flowers *don’t* come with a guarantee that they’ll last just because shavuos is coming. My shavuos arrangements usually start dying the second day of shavuos too. So from before Shabbos till Monday is a lot to expect.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:10 pm
Try to keep them away from the candles Friday night.
Add water and flower food.
Spray them with water.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:11 pm
Fake flowers

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:13 pm
There's a flower shortage this year. It's possible they came from further away than usual and were older or just from a completely different supplier, and this is what they could get.

Goody2shoes

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:14 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Fake flowers

That's what we generally get for my parents. Mom uses them as a center piece all year and we replace them before shavous again.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:15 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I didn’t buy before Shabbos because didn’t expect them to last till shavuos. I’ll try to buy tomorrow. I feel sorry for you but live flowers *don’t* come with a guarantee that they’ll last just because shavuos is coming. My shavuos arrangements usually start dying the second day of shavuos too. So from before Shabbos till Monday is a lot to expect.

They're not getting in fresh flowers tomorrow. Whatever flowers they have is in the store since last week. I never had flowers dying out the day after I got them. The flowers were simply not fresh.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:16 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
There's a flower shortage this year. It's possible they came from further away than usual and were older or just from a completely different supplier, and this is what they could get.

Makes sense. But I think they should let the costumers know about this when ordering.

avrahamama

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:17 pm
I was in Trader Joe's on Thursday and I soooooo badly wanted to buy flowers. They had some very cool looking ones that have lasted about a week before. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I would have been so upset if they didn't make it.
My aunt can keep a bouquet looking fresh for two weeks.

She snips the bottom of the stems and fresh water daily. It never worked for me. But she has a lot of bracha with that.

isrmss91

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:23 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

Was wondering why the prices were so high? My local corner store use to sell roses for $15.00 a dozen. For a few months already, it is now $20 and they don't even give you a full dozen. You get 10 only. So I started buying tulips, they use to be $8.00 for 9 flowers. These week they were now $10.00. Sad we are spending more and getting worse quality. I think I may have stop buying flowers for now.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Makes sense. But I think they should let the costumers know about this when ordering.

Somehow they last in the store better than in my house. They seriously start the process of dying the minute they walk thru my door so the first day it’s still ok and the second day it’s a goner. I’ll get tomorrow whatever is left in the store and still alive.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:28 pm
I picked closed amaryllis. Which should last 3-7 days from when they open, with some other long lasting ones. THey blossomed over the weekend, so he’ll hopefully last till Tuesday at least.

amother
Black

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:34 pm
It is very disappointing.

You can try to revive hydrangeas. Typically they don’t last so don’t know why they d use in a shavous bouquet.
Cut the bottoms and stick in boiling hot water.
Others find putting them upside down in cold water works.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:29 am
There is definitely a flower shortage . In laws have a flower shop and fil told dh that he has 50 percent less flowers this year and wasn't able to accept as many orders as in the past .

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:41 am
Our very sweet neighbors have a lovely flowering bush in their backyard that they invite us to pick from every year. So, no fancy store bought bouquets for us, but at least the flowers will be fresh.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics