Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When to transition to crib?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:20 pm
Hi! ftm here.

When does your baby move to his/her own room?

My baby is 4 months.

We were cosleeping/contact sleeping until now. It worked for our family bh.

The nursery is not even a foot away from our room. Its decorated nicely, and very calming.

My dh wants to try moving baby to her own room to see how it goes.

Whenever my baby wakes up I feed her (not nursing Crying )

so she goes to bed around 8, wakes up around 11:30/12, up again around 3:30 and again at 6 usually. sometimes she'll skip the 3:30 feed and wake up at 5.

any tips on how to get baby to sleep a big more and longer stretches? we dont CIO

tysm!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi! ftm here.

When does your baby move to his/her own room?

My baby is 4 months.

We were cosleeping/contact sleeping until now. It worked for our family bh.

The nursery is not even a foot away from our room. Its decorated nicely, and very calming.

My dh wants to try moving baby to her own room to see how it goes.

Whenever my baby wakes up I feed her (not nursing Crying )

so she goes to bed around 8, wakes up around 11:30/12, up again around 3:30 and again at 6 usually. sometimes she'll skip the 3:30 feed and wake up at 5.

any tips on how to get baby to sleep a big more and longer stretches? we dont CIO

tysm!

Following.
Same boat literally lol...baby is turning 4 months this week, not nursing either. Was co sleeping till he was 2 months and then moved him to his own room in a pack n play (for now, not sure when the crib will go up).
He definitely has been sleeping better in his own room and sometimes will surprise me with a longer stretch. At night I'll feed him when he cries and he'll go right back to sleep after. Also have a baby monitor next to my bed so I can see him.
Hatzlacha!

Teomima

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 1:07 am
You do what's best for you. Some kids I co-slept with for years, others I put in their own room from the first night. Each time it depended on what was best for me and my family at that time.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 2:58 am
My daughter began dropping middle of the night feeds starting at 3 months (I would offer her the pacifier once when she woke up. If she immediately took it and went back to sleep it meant she must not be hungry. If she spit it out I fed her no problem. ) By 4 months she only had the 4am feed left so I moved her, at which point she dropped it. Idk if I would move a kid with so many night wake ups just because it would be harder for me to go so many times.

However, once they start rolling the bassinet is no longer safe.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:07 am
Never for me, cosleep til the next baby lol - but I nurse in my sleep

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:14 am
I don’t nurse and baby starts out in own room (I need the space and can’t sleep with baby’s tiny noises) so you could move baby anytime. (If you’re getting up to make a bottle anyway why do you specifically need baby close by?) in any case some babies wake for night feeds more and longer than others. My first sleep trained herself and slept through at 2 months. My next baby was still waking 1x a night at 6 months (though I don’t offer feeds overnight past 6 months: water only since I’m confident baby eats enough during the day and is of hungry) my babies teethe early so they can and do wake for pain rather (or in addition to) hunger

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:31 am
Skip the feeding by not giving it to her. She's old enough to be out of your room.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:19 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Skip the feeding by not giving it to her. She's old enough to be out of your room.

she was hungry she ate a full 6 oz!
and last night she woke at 2 to eat 6 oz and then again at 4 to eat 4 oz.

which she never does

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:19 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Following.
Same boat literally lol...baby is turning 4 months this week, not nursing either. Was co sleeping till he was 2 months and then moved him to his own room in a pack n play (for now, not sure when the crib will go up).
He definitely has been sleeping better in his own room and sometimes will surprise me with a longer stretch. At night I'll feed him when he cries and he'll go right back to sleep after. Also have a baby monitor next to my bed so I can see him.
Hatzlacha!

welcome to the 4 month club! Cool

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:26 am
When you drop the middle of the night feed she’s ready to move out.

If you want to drop it give her a little bit more by each day feeding

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:29 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
When you drop the middle of the night feed she’s ready to move out.

If you want to drop it give her a little bit more by each day feeding

tried all that, shes still waking up in the night to eat and she'll eat 5 oz!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:32 am
No need for a crying emoji about not nursing. Whatever is best for *you* and your baby is best- period.

You can move her in. Maybe try a noise machine. Worse comes to worse you'll go into her room for the middle of the night feed(s). That's what I do... make sure you have a comfy chair for you to sit on while you feed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:10 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
No need for a crying emoji about not nursing. Whatever is best for *you* and your baby is best- period.

You can move her in. Maybe try a noise machine. Worse comes to worse you'll go into her room for the middle of the night feed(s). That's what I do... make sure you have a comfy chair for you to sit on while you feed.

you're right! im still feeling upset I wasnt able to nurse tho.

we have noise machine
how many times do u go in for ur baby? how old is ur baby?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:21 am
Just because she's eating it doesn't mean she needs it.
At a certain point I start weaning them off their night feeds by offering less in their bottle. If she normally takes 6oz, I offer 5oz for a few nights, then 4oz, then 3oz. Etc.
Usually after a certain point they'll stop waking up because it's not worth it to them.
My babies definitely slept better once they were in their own rooms.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:23 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Just because she's eating it doesn't mean she needs it.
At a certain point I start weaning them off their night feeds by offering less in their bottle. If she normally takes 6oz, I offer 5oz for a few nights, then 4oz, then 3oz. Etc.
Usually after a certain point they'll stop waking up because it's not worth it to them.
My babies definitely slept better once they were in their own rooms.

rly?? its not bc shes hungry??
what if ur baby cries when u start offering them less?

its 9:22 am and shes still sleeping. should I wake her up? is it normal to sleep this long?
I keep checking on her to c that shes breathing!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:24 am
I actually do a combination.
At around 4 months, I set up 2 cribs. One in their bedroom and a small bassinet in mine.
I put baby to sleep in their own bedroom at bedtime. That gives the luxury to talk on the phone, do laundry, be with hubby.
When baby wakes up in the middle of the I, I'll feed and put back to sleep in crib in my room (cause I'm lazy and don't want to run back and forth, back and forth).
What happens naturally is that '?"move time" becomes later and later as they become capable of sleeping longer, and don't see me in their mini-waking
When baby sleeps until 6? I put away the bassinet for good.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
you're right! im still feeling upset I wasnt able to nurse tho.

we have noise machine
how many times do u go in for ur baby? how old is ur baby?

My baby is 14 months now. Currently I go in once or twice a night- once between 10-12 and once between 3-4. In the beginning it was more often but I fall right back asleep and I ask Dh to take fhe morning shift with the baby so I can sleep "in" (which means 6:45 on a weekday, 8:00 on shbs)

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:09 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
My baby is 14 months now. Currently I go in once or twice a night- once between 10-12 and once between 3-4. In the beginning it was more often but I fall right back asleep and I ask Dh to take fhe morning shift with the baby so I can sleep "in" (which means 6:45 on a weekday, 8:00 on shbs)

Wow I can't believe you are getting up for a one year old! How do you function on interrupted sleep for over a year??

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:11 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Wow I can't believe you are getting up for a one year old! How do you function on interrupted sleep for over a year??

Totally agree. I assert that at that age baby is waking out of habit rather than a need to eat. I also believe that baby needs Proper sleep For Brian development and waking 2x a night doesn’t facilitate that.

Mayflower

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:17 am
I have a 3 month old baby. She started off straight away in her own room. I slept in her room in the beginning so my husband could get a whole night of uninterrupted sleep.

The past few weeks she was waking up less (usually only once between 10:30 at night and 7 in the morning). So I moved back into my own room and set up a baby monitor. She's been sleeping from 10:30 till 6 straight since I moved out.

I do nurse very frequently during the day - usually every 2 1/2 hours.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics