Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I bake in an oven on 200 f?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 15 2021, 11:31 pm
I’m thinking of leaving my oven on about 200 as I don’t want it on too high over 2 days. Will I be able to get a deli roll or potatoes done? (I’ll obviously give it a lot of time to get ready)

Ellie7

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:45 am
Doubtful. The potatoes—maybe if they’re in for long enough. I don’t think there’s much chance of your deli roll cooking, though.

tzimip

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:11 am
That's how I bake my roast and potatoes every yomtov. Not sure about deli roll though

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 4:33 am
Bake in advance and reheat.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:47 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Bake in advance and reheat.

Definitely this
I wouldn’t take a chance

observer

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:49 am
Being that boiling point is 212, most things will not cook at 200. Even if you do 250, potatoes would take a really really long time. Either bake everything in advance and warm up on 200 or leave the oven on a little higher.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:54 am
Russet potatoes can take 8 hours and even then sometimes will still have a bite to them. Other things will cook just fine if you have the time. Yukon gold potatoes will soften and cook at that temperature but expect it to take a long while.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:54 am
observer wrote:
Being that boiling point is 212, most things will not cook at 200. Even if you do 250, potatoes would take a really really long time. Either bake everything in advance and warm up on 200 or leave the oven on a little higher.

THIS.

Anything less than that is a recipe for food poisoning. I've made that mistake, and found an inch of mold on everything in the morning. Sad

I had to go knock on a friends door and invite myself over for the meals. It was super embarrassing. I'd rather eat cold tuna than go through that again.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:33 am
I leave my oven on 275 or 300 for YT and it is a nice balance between low enough to warm stuff up and also bake raw food if I don't make it before Yt. 200 won't be high enough.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:47 am
At 250 you can make delicious chicken uncovered for 5 hours. Or minute steaks over Yukon gold potatoes covered for 7 hours.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:53 am
What about a frozen pizza from the supermarket and packaged blintzes?
Raw quiche?
What temperature could I safely leave oven on and cook these things?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:08 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Raw quiche?
I would say 300

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:30 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Raw quiche?

225-250

asmileaday

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:38 am
I leave my oven on 220 and have successfully cooked frozen raw salmon (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours) and small cubed potatoes in hot water for mashed potatoes (probably 5-6 hours).
I mostly bake and cook in advance and 220 is the prefect temperature for us to reheat and not dry out. It also doesn't make my kitchen hot at that temperature.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:46 am
I leave my oven on 250. I tried roasting potatoes once, left them in for hours and they didn’t cook through. Low and slow meats work wonderfully at that temperature. I make fresh bbq ribs every yom tov and they’re delicious. Pretty much everything else is cooked/baked before and reheated in the 250 oven. Reheat the deli roll uncovered and it should crisp up a bit.

exhausted

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I leave my oven on 250. I tried roasting potatoes once, left them in for hours and they didn’t cook through. Low and slow meats work wonderfully at that temperature. I make fresh bbq ribs every yom tov and they’re delicious. Pretty much everything else is cooked/baked before and reheated in the 250 oven. Reheat the deli roll uncovered and it should crisp up a bit.

This! I do exactly this every Yom Tov for years and it always works. I even put raw chicken in the morning before I go to Shul and come home to perfectly cooked chicken. I do it covered though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen