Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How many times have you remodeled
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:44 am
I moved into a twenty year old house and did no work. The carpets are gross and the kitchen is tiny. I plan on taking out carpets downstairs but was wondering if I should wait on the upstairs carpet and kitchen. I'm curious how often people have redone flooring, kitchens, or generally made renovations to their home. Do people change kitchens every 10 years? What about bathrooms.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:56 am
Who cares what other people do? Your house should be functional and comfortable for you and your family. So, within your budget and basic modesty, go for it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I moved into a twenty year old house and did no work. The carpets are gross and the kitchen is tiny. I plan on taking out carpets downstairs but was wondering if I should wait on the upstairs carpet and kitchen. I'm curious how often people have redone flooring, kitchens, or generally made renovations to their home. Do people change kitchens every 10 years? What about bathrooms.

Do what you need to do. I would personally do all the carpets now. If kitchen needs remodeling do as well if you can afford it. It doesn't matter what othe ppl do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:59 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Who cares what other people do? Your house should be functional and comfortable for you and your family. So, within your budget and basic modesty, go for it.

I understand that. I am just curious if people these days redo kitchen more often being that you can get brand new for pretty reasonable at ikea or home depot. I am trying to decide if I should wait until my kids are a bit older so there is less wear and tear or do now and do in 10-15 year again because you could redo a kitchen for a reasonable cost.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I understand that. I am just curious if people these days redo kitchen more often being that you can get brand new for pretty reasonable at ikea or home depot. I am trying to decide if I should wait until my kids are a bit older so there is less wear and tear or do now and do in 10-15 year again because you could redo a kitchen for a reasonable cost.

Is the layout functional as is? Is the kitchen ok looking or really horrible? Will fixing the kitchen drain your savings?

To me, ten years isn't much of a life span for a kitchen. But if you want to renovate again in ten years, then have fun. You can do all sort of trendy stuff that you might not otherwise do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:14 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Is the layout functional as is? Is the kitchen ok looking or really horrible? Will fixing the kitchen drain your savings?

To me, ten years isn't much of a life span for a kitchen. But if you want to renovate again in ten years, then have fun. You can do all sort of trendy stuff that you might not otherwise do.

The layout is fine but the kitchen is old looking. Like from the 90s. It is basically functional but drab. I could wait - I keep worrying anyhting I put in now will get ruined from little kids but then I was thinking put in now and when kids are grown put in new again. Just wondering if others had same dilemma. How long do new kitchens look new and nice / last.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The layout is fine but the kitchen is old looking. Like from the 90s. It is basically functional but drab. I could wait - I keep worrying anyhting I put in now will get ruined from little kids but then I was thinking put in now and when kids are grown put in new again. Just wondering if others had same dilemma. How long do new kitchens look new and nice / last.

So it sounds like you want something that will stand up to wear and tear. Some families are harder than others on their houses, depending on kids, ages, cleaning help, and even the climate where you live. Hopefully by the time your kids have grown up, there will be grandchildren getting their sticky handprints all over.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:21 am
I don’t know anyone who did a kitchen more than once (I live in Monsey) a new kitchen every 10 years seems kind of excessive to me.

If you have the finance why not do it now?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:29 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I don’t know anyone who did a kitchen more than once (I live in Monsey) a new kitchen every 10 years seems kind of excessive to me.

If you have the finance why not do it now?

Thanks - was just wondering because I heard someone say she paints every 5 years. I thought that was a lot but then other people said the same thing. Was wondering if changing kitchen is the same type of thing.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks - was just wondering because I heard someone say she paints every 5 years. I thought that was a lot but then other people said the same thing. Was wondering if changing kitchen is the same type of thing.

I know people who paint every few years but kitchens stay for 30 years.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I know people who paint every few years but kitchens stay for 30 years.

k makes sense ty!

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:38 am
Yes painting and scraping a floor are maintenance.

4g01o

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'd put in now and enjoy it whilst it lasts. No idea how long that'll be. That's just me though.

sub

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:39 am
If it is drab-but in good condition you could do a resurfacing or just change doors and hardware. Some of the older kitchens are stronger quality than those produced today
90s is not old My kitchen is from the early 80s

4g01o

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The amount that a fresh coat of paint costs versus a whole new kitchen is a huge difference. We paint every 3-5 years but kitchen lasts years. We're not touching ours until we've had an extension and ripped it all apart. We only just put it in when we moved in 3.5 years ago so it's still fine although it's falling apart at places because we put in very cheap. That was our budget when we moved. The flooring and upstands could do with a change but we're just waiting now.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:47 am
Fab4 wrote:
The amount that a fresh coat of paint costs versus a whole new kitchen is a huge difference. We paint every 3-5 years but kitchen lasts years. We're not touching ours until we've had an extension and ripped it all apart. We only just put it in when we moved in 3.5 years ago so it's still fine although it's falling apart at places because we put in very cheap. That was our budget when we moved. The flooring and upstands could do with a change but we're just waiting now.

So that is what I am confused about. Just like paint gets ruined, kitchens get ruined. So what do people do? Redo the kitchen? Just fix certain cabinets?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So that is what I am confused about. Just like paint gets ruined, kitchens get ruined. So what do people do? Redo the kitchen? Just fix certain cabinets?

Is your kitchen is getting ruined in 5 years you're either getting a very low quality kitchen or your kids are completely out of control. You may need to tighten knobs once a year, and be on top of scrubbing stains, but there shouldn't be anything too bad. If your kids are the type to color on the cabinets, either get washable cabinets or hide the markers.

4g01o

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No you clean the kitchen. They don't usually get so ruined so fast unless your kids hang from the cupboards, in which case I'd set new rules lol. Paint looks grubby after a few years.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are your cabinets falling apart? I'm confused about that. You said it's very old but still in good condition. That's usually how cabinets last. When one drawer broke, yes we called a repairman.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:56 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Are your cabinets falling apart? I'm confused about that. You said it's very old but still in good condition. That's usually how cabinets last. When one drawer broke, yes we called a repairman.

I mean like scratched here and there, drawer not closing flush, cabinets doors shaky. And the look of it - it looks like a 90s kitchen - not a modern kitchen.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics