Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Covid vaccine- need to vent
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 9:53 am
Dh is in college and is required to take the covid vaccine before the fall. I’m really not happy about it, although dh doesn’t care either way. We weren’t planning on taking the vaccine, as we both recently had covid, but if he’s forced to take it, he will. I’m upset, but more than that, I won’t get support from anyone. My family is extreme anti-vaxx even before corona and though they know I vaccinate my kids, they won’t commiserate with me now. I just need to vent. Dh is doing something I really don’t like and not even because he wants, but because he’s forced. Arrggghhh! Crying

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 9:58 am
Okay. There is a very very high degree of likelyhood that nothing negative will happen to him as a result of this - regardless of the many reasons you think he shouldn't take it.

Life happens. We all have to do things we don't agree with from time to time.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:06 am
He’s the boss of his body. Even if there were no college making him get it, he wouldn’t need you to be ok with it to do it. The same way he doesn’t need to be ok with you not doing it.

Your husbands vaccine status is not your family’s business

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
He’s the boss of his body. Even if there were no college making him get it, he wouldn’t need you to be ok with it to do it. The same way he doesn’t need to be ok with you not doing it.

Your husbands vaccine status is not your family’s business

I agree with you but my husband wouldn’t do anything that I’m not ok with. We talk through everything. This time he’s forced to take it, and he’s not given a choice. That’s what’s bothering me.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree with you but my husband wouldn’t do anything that I’m not ok with. We talk through everything. This time he’s forced to take it, and he’s not given a choice. That’s what’s bothering me.

Very frustrating when things are out of our control. Try not to ruminate on it.

trixx

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:30 am
1. The fall is a long time away and things change each day. I'd take it as late as possible.

2. There are organizations fighting this mandate

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 12:50 pm
trixx wrote:
1. The fall is a long time away and things change each day. I'd take it as late as possible.

That’s what I keep telling myself. My husband is not running to get it.
Thanks for the hugs as no one else understands me

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s what I keep telling myself. My husband is not running to get it.
Thanks for the hugs as no one else understands me

I understand you.

I imagine you are feeling like someone is forcing your husband to eat a bacon cheeseburger... and he's agreeing to it so that he can continue in school.

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 2:04 pm
Op I totally understand I'm in a very similar situation. It's so hard not be able to rely on support from your family, they know you don't have a choice but will judge you anyway. And it doesn't help to have so many people posting that there is no coercion for this vaccine!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 2:47 pm
Well said, amothers slategray and black! Thanks for the validation!

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well said, amothers slategray and black! Thanks for the validation!

So now that I've established that I understand how you feel...

The support part is... this sucks... but your husband is going to be okay.... he is not physically harming anybody... its not what you want - but its very likely that there will be no negatives consequences to his health, nor the health of those around him.

(Anti-vaxx is not your religion)

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:05 pm
So frustrating not to have the freedom about what you put in your body. Odds are he will be ok. I personally would email the college and ask them if they will take responsibility in the event of negative side effects c"v. Since the vaccine companies are not responsible for negative events, is the college going to?

It's the students' responsibility to say something and protest being forced, even if chances are it won't help. If you just comply and don't complain, it allows them to keep doing what they want.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 1:31 am
Hugs OP
Please hold out.
There are many fighting this coercion.
Can he get a letter from a lawyer?
Look up Icandecide.org
Of course, pray

DrMom

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 1:51 am
Does this university offer a distance-learning option?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 2:46 am
Technically speaking, he's not being forced to do anything. Certain jobs require uniforms, a person can decide if they want to accept the employer's rules and work there, or not. Certain educational institutions require vaccines, a person can decide if they want to get vaccinated and learn there, or not. I understand why someone opposed to the vaccine may feel coerced into taking it, but the school also has a right and responsibility to protect its staff and students to the best of its abilities. An outbreak at a school/university/college will cost everyone who works and learns there in time and money. So students and employees alike have a choice to be made. But it is a choice nonetheless.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 5:39 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Technically speaking, he's not being forced to do anything. Certain jobs require uniforms, a person can decide if they want to accept the employer's rules and work there, or not. Certain educational institutions require vaccines, a person can decide if they want to get vaccinated and learn there, or not. I understand why someone opposed to the vaccine may feel coerced into taking it, but the school also has a right and responsibility to protect its staff and students to the best of its abilities. An outbreak at a school/university/college will cost everyone who works and learns there in time and money. So students and employees alike have a choice to be made. But it is a choice nonetheless.

You're wrong. If someone is vaccinated they are covered. No reason to force all students to take it.
Vaccines in the trial phases should NEVER be mandated. Where there is risk there must be choice! Even if you think the risk is small, which btw its not.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 5:53 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
You're wrong. If someone is vaccinated they are covered. No reason to force all students to take it.
Vaccines in the trial phases should NEVER be mandated. Where there is risk there must be choice! Even if you think the risk is small, which btw its not.

You completely missed my point. What I said was that no one was being forced. I was not arguing the validity of the vaccine, rather the validity of the educational institution making requirements based on what it feels is the best and safest move for everyone on campus.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 7:00 am
You completely missed my point. What I said was that no one was being forced. I was not arguing the validity of the vaccine, rather the validity of the educational institution making requirements based on what it feels is the best and safest move for everyone on campus.

He most definitely is being forced as he wont cancel mid college. Also you compared it to a uniform- sorry just not the same as putting something into your body that has no long term studies.

When they force all children to take it to attend school, will that also be not forced?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 7:10 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
He most definitely is being forced as he wont cancel mid college. Also you compared it to a uniform- sorry just not the same as putting something into your body that has no long term studies.

When they force all children to take it to attend school, will that also be not forced?

Again, you misunderstand me. You have a very black and white way of thinking I see. Please pay attention to what I actually write and not how you
seem to interpret it. I never compared wearing a uniform to getting a vaccine. I compared the policy of requiring uniforms to the policy of requiring vaccines. Neither is forced. Both are a choice. One may be a harder choice than the other. But nonetheless, it is a choice.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 7:49 am

I think this is an excellent analogy.

There is such thing as a "social contract", and if you want to be in a certain social circle, like a university or workplace, you need to accept the terms of the contract.

As for the other analogy, no one is forcing DH to eat treif. He can refuse to eat it, and accept the consequences of his choice.

That's life when you live among other human beings. You can choose to live in an antivaxx bubble, you can start your own commune, you can purchase your own private island if you want.

Once you start mixing with the general public, the rules change, and you have a choice to participate, or not.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics