Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Cicadas
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 7:34 pm
Are we really getting hit the the makka of Cicadas here in Lakewood? If so anyone know when they’ll start , how king they’ll be around and what to expect.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 8:41 pm
I never heard lkwd gets them
I actually plan trip to Baltimore for my kids to see it (and visit family)

lkwdgirl

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 9:13 pm
I keep hearing they’re coming to Lakewood. Anyone anyone?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 9:18 pm
Don't worry, I was living in Lakewood 17 years ago, it was unpleasant since then they cut down most of the trees so Lakewood will not be getting it. When you cut down the tree the Cicada dies.

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 9:51 pm
I have vivid traumatic memories of the last cicada makka when I was in baltimore 17 years ago. I honestly believe that I am still traumatized from them. I am beyond happy to be living here in lakewood. if you havent lived through it, you have no idea how bad it actually is!

Einikel

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 9:55 pm
How long does it last?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 10:08 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
I have vivid traumatic memories of the last cicada makka when I was in baltimore 17 years ago. I honestly believe that I am still traumatized from them. I am beyond happy to be living here in lakewood. if you havent lived through it, you have no idea how bad it actually is!

Yep. Silver Spring, 34 years ago. I can still hear them crunching under my feet as I walked through a carpet of them. The sidewalks were just gone. Recess was indoors the whole time. A bunch of kids scooped up handfuls of discarded shells and put them in other people's lockers, and got in a lot of trouble. I will not miss them.

lkwdgirl

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 10:09 pm
I don’t think Lakewood had 17 years ago. But Baltimore is packed with them when they come

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 10:12 pm
Lakewood and NY are a different brood. Will be in 2030.

amother
White

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 10:25 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Lakewood and NY are a different brood. Will be in 2030.

Huh?
What do you mean?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 10:55 pm
lkwdgirl wrote:
I don’t think Lakewood had 17 years ago. But Baltimore is packed with them when they come

Yes Lakewood had it 17 years ago. I was living in Lakewood then it was all over. The noise was very bad.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 10:57 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Huh?
What do you mean?

If I remember it correctly there are 5 different broods, but they do over lap in some areas. So, some places can get them 2 years in a row.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Yes Lakewood had it 17 years ago. I was living in Lakewood then it was all over. The noise was very bad.

If you say so. I’m living here 22 years and must’ve slept through the cicadas 17 years ago

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 11:24 pm
If I remember it correctly there are 5 different broods, but they do over lap in some areas. So, some places can get them 2 years in a row.

Breeds?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 11:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you say so. I’m living here 22 years and must’ve slept through the cicadas 17 years ago

Did you live in a new section that was just build up? I was living in a place that had a lot of old trees.

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 11:25 pm

Lived in Lakewood my entire 39 years and have never experienced cicadas.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 11:27 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:

Omg I could have written this! I was in elementary then and am still traumatized! Glad I'm not there anymore lol

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Lived in Lakewood my entire 39 years and have never experienced cicadas.

Same. Not 39 yet but soon enough.

cbsp

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Breeds?

No, brood.

From here
https://earthsky.org/earth/17-.....-2021
The Brood X cicadas are emerging now
Posted by Kelly Kizer Whitt in EARTH | HUMAN WORLD | May 11, 2021

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 3:52 am
Cicadas make a loud noise and are not that pretty to look at but they are harmless. I grew up in nj, not lakewood, and we had them every single summer.
Dont worry so much. Like I said, they make a hell of a noise, but they are not dangerous and dont really come near people.
My husband, who had nver heard of such a bug, when he came to america for the first time, thought something was wrong with the electricity. Thats how loud they are Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries