Home

Do you set the Shabbos table with a salad plate?
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Linen
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 12:12 pm
We usually have just 1 dinner plate, unless we are having company. No need to add to the dishwashing duties. A few challah crumbs on the plate is fine for us.

We don't serve fish at meat meals at all, and we have Shabbat lunch as halavi, so sometimes we have fish then, but no need to change plates. We can eat salad on our main plate along with our meal, unless it is something stew-like, in which case an extra plate is better.
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 12:12 pm
Wow. You guys all have a lot of dishes to wash.
I live in Israeli, not 'simple' circles, and still I usually see only one main plate setting. If there is a separate fish and meat course (and the meal isn't just fish or just meat) - then there will be two. But that's it. No separate salad or dip plate - those are eaten alongside the main course.
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 12:34 pm
do you guys wash the big plates before serving the meat? Just wipe off the crumbs?
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:05 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
do you guys wash the big plates before serving the meat? Just wipe off the crumbs?


If you are referring to me, we don't have a separate challah course. I think it's more of an American thing.
Why dedicate a whole course to empty carbs?
We eat challa and a few dips/salads together with the main course. Yes, with crumbs mixing in - why not? In any case, the challah I make is not crumbly at all.
Back to top

MrsDash




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:07 pm
Of course we have salad plates! What are we, beasts in the field? LOL
Back to top

amother




Mint
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
If you are referring to me, we don't have a separate challah course. I think it's more of an American thing.
Why dedicate a whole course to empty carbs?
We eat challa and a few dips/salads together with the main course. Yes, with crumbs mixing in - why not? In any case, the challah I make is not crumbly at all.


I don't think it's necessarily an American thing, it probably depends more on the circles you run in.
Everyone I know in Israel (and in England where I grew up) has a separate course too. Most people in my community will be serving fish together with the challah and dips, as a first course Friday night, which you can't have together with meat.

In a traditional meal, there would first be fish, then a bowl of chicken soup and then the main. So even if you left out the fish, it wouldn't make sense to keep the first dirty plate there while having the soup.

It also seems very common with native Israelis to serve a large array of dips, more so than in chul, so not sure how it works to serve that together with the main, it's a little messy to have all on one plate.

(Of course there's no rules that the meal has to include chicken soup or anything else, and everyone can serve what they want, just explaining why it would often make sense to have the extra first 'salad' plate for many of us.)
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:53 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
My in laws set just with silverware and cups. When the fish comes out, they bring out the fish/salad/appetizer plates. When it’s time for soup they bring out the soup bowls (from the kitchen, with soup in it) and when the main course comes out THEN they bring the main plate.


That's how I grew up, and what I still do. My parents used to have a side plate next to the main setting, and that was where we put our challah. I've dispensed with that.

I put out small plates when I set the table, and they are for the first course of dips and fish, with challah. Collect those plates and serve soup. Collect soup plates and bring out plates for the main course. (If I was doing it properly they would be warmed, but that tends not to happen.) Collect main course plates and serve dessert. That might be on the same small plates that were used for the first course, and were washed while the soup was being served.

I never quite get the habit of putting out multiple layers of plates all at once.
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 8:15 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
We don't use salad plates or anything other than the main plate.


Me, too, but then I never serve fish at a meat meal. My first course is always fruit in a ramekin. Everything else except dessert goes on the dinner plate.
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
If you are referring to me, we don't have a separate challah course. I think it's more of an American thing.
Why dedicate a whole course to empty carbs?
We eat challa and a few dips/salads together with the main course. Yes, with crumbs mixing in - why not? In any case, the challah I make is not crumbly at all.


a woman after mine own heart.
dh would like it if I set out bowls for salad or cholent, but why dirty extra dishes?
Back to top

amother




Scarlet
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
[b]

So does the challah end up on the dip plate?
Well that’s what id love to do. Sounds so neat. Is the dip plate on the top layer or on the side.


Challah on dip plate.I use cute small white square accent plates on top of my china salad plate and big plate. Works well for me.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Challah on dip plate.I use cute small white square accent plates on top of my china salad plate and big plate. Works well for me.
[b]

I’d love to see a setting 🙈. I think I’m going to try this. But the smallest plate I have for over the fish is prob a saucer lol. Great that you were Able to match up a accent plate... my dishes are a very specific print.

So when u serve the fish then their are three plates at each setting? That’s a lot ! Dips/ challah Fish and salad . But yum!
Back to top

amother




Scarlet
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 8:53 pm
I have a grey and white china set so I got white small accent plates. The square accent plate is challah/dips. Next plate is salad/fish. Then I serve soup in a bowls (straight from kitchen,not served by table) and then main on big plate (served family style). Dessert either on accent plates again (I have 45 of them) or I have other cute bowls/plates I like to use.

This is my china set. And I use a very small square plate on top of the salad plate. I put it slanty so it looks like a diamond.

Back to top

amother




Khaki
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 9:04 pm
Table is set with dinner plate and salad plate. The salad plate is for: challah, dips, fish, salad. Passed around on table.

Then I serve soup which comes out in individual bowls from kitchen (not ladeled at table)

Then everyone takes their dinner plates and serve themselves dinner buffet style (our table is too narrow to put out main course family style- small apartment)

Works well!

For dessert, which is served on table: paper plates and fresh napkins
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 9:52 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I have a grey and white china set so I got white small accent plates. The square accent plate is challah/dips. Next plate is salad/fish. Then I serve soup in a bowls (straight from kitchen,not served by table) and then main on big plate (served family style). Dessert either on accent plates again (I have 45 of them) or I have other cute bowls/plates I like to use.

This is my china set. And I use a very small square plate on top of the salad plate. I put it slanty so it looks like a diamond.



So pretty scarlet! Thx for sending your gorgeous setup!
I presume you bring in the fish on serving platters as the fish plate is already at each setting.
Back to top

amother




Scarlet
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 9:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So pretty scarlet! Thx for sending your gorgeous setup!
I presume you bring in the fish on serving platters as the fish plate is already at each setting.


Yes. I have picky kids so its easier if they take their own pieces. Lol
I usually plate the food in the middle of the table nicely. (Salmon on a bed of greens with lemon slices and edible flowers etc)
Back to top

mommy12




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 10:05 pm
We don't usually do fish or dips. So we have the big plates and that's it. We have soup on Friday nights (because that's usually all my kids eat) but our challah and crumbs go straight onto the plate. It's never been a problem. If we have company and I end up serving fish, the fish plates are on the table too and I serve the fish on a platter. When it's just us, though, it's very basic.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 7:16 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Table is set with dinner plate and salad plate. The salad plate is for: challah, dips, fish, salad. Passed around on table.

Then I serve soup which comes out in individual bowls from kitchen (not ladeled at table)

Then everyone takes their dinner plates and serve themselves dinner buffet style (our table is too narrow to put out main course family style- small apartment)

Works well!

For dessert, which is served on table: paper plates and fresh napkins

This is what we do too, except the main course is on the table because ours is wide. I don’t plate anything for anyone except sometimes on chag I will plate an appetizer.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Wide folding table?
by amother
5 Mon, Sep 20 2021, 9:33 am View last post
Links to shabbos shoes for me
by amother
3 Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:06 am View last post
Children argue at the table
by amother
29 Fri, Sep 17 2021, 9:05 am View last post
New LED Shabbos bulb, where can you put it, to reach switch?
by Mevater
17 Tue, Sep 14 2021, 2:53 am View last post
Reheating meat lasagna on hot plate on Y"T
by amother
2 Mon, Sep 13 2021, 1:22 pm View last post