Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Failing high school math
1  2  Next

momtra

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 1:27 pm
My daughter is in 9th grade. She is an incredible person with grit resilience and a strong work ethic and is just not a strong student academically. She is doing ok in general (lowest track, modifications etc.,) but is still struggling to pass math. She’s been working with a tutor, but us still having do much trouble.
Has anyone ever been in this situation? What if your kid is just not a math person and and can’t grasp it?

I’m meeting with the school today and am very nervous about what they will say...
DD really like the school and feel that can accommodate her needs, it’s just the math that is not clicking Sad

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 1:40 pm
I never liked math as well. its funny how I did ok with other subjects. I remember failing my math regent in 9th grade and thinking its the end of the world. I got my regents diploma in the end though.
Oddly enough I do accounting today LOL LOL
no worries. if you show dd that her failing math doesn't effect her as a person shell be fine
hugs to her!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 1:41 pm
momtra wrote:
My daughter is in 9th grade. She is an incredible person with grit resilience and a strong work ethic and is just not a strong student academically. She is doing ok in general (lowest track, modifications etc.,) but is still struggling to pass math. She’s been working with a tutor, but us still having do much trouble.
Has anyone ever been in this situation? What if your kid is just not a math person and and can’t grasp it?

I’m meeting with the school today and am very nervous about what they will say...
DD really like the school and feel that can accommodate her needs, it’s just the math that is not clicking Sad

I would just let it go. Im not either a math person, but a pusher. So I passed math in 9th & 10th, but dropped out of Trig in 11th
I dont feel like the 9th & 10th grade math got me anywhere. Not important. If I could redo HS I would def skip math class
FYI I work as a mortgage processor. Excel Formulas & calculators to the rescue!

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 1:45 pm
just want to add that a poster recently posted that she hated math and is a math teacher today
what is it with us math haters that draws us to work with numbers? Confused

#BestBubby

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 1:56 pm
I did not use these books personally, but I have read a lot of online reviews for a
self-teaching math books called "Learn Math Fast" which is 7 books which covers
math from grades 1 - 12.

Some people like to go through the whole series - which is written very short so one
can finish each book in a few months.

Or you can just get the book on high school math.

Sold on Amazon.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 1:57 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
just want to add that a poster recently posted that she hated math and is a math teacher today
what is it with us math haters that draws us to work with numbers? Confused

Simple. So much effort goes into learning it that we can't let it go to waste.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 1:58 pm
Opposite problem. AP Calc. But can’t write an essay independently to save her life. Looks like it was written by a third grader and causes so much anxiety.
To be honest, I can’t help because I am exactly the same. Went into a number/lab driven field but can’t get away from writing reports.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:07 pm
Has she been evaluated for learning disabilities? Sometimes "not a strong student" can be caused by a specific issue or issues that can be treated.

Also, I would do some kind of educational testing to identify gaps in her math knowledge. Often kids struggle in math because they weren't taught or failed to master certain earlier concepts and the deficit continues to hold them back. If that's her issue, then a tutor can work with her strategically to plug those gaps, rather than just working with her on her current day to day assignments.

Good luck!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:19 pm
momtra wrote:

Listen. Ask for suggestions. She wants to graduate from high school, so 9th grade math is required. And if she's working hard, the school should be able to find a way for her to do it.

I've heard wonderful things about https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Alg.....=8-3, but I'm guessing that there are things in there that would not be appropriate for a frum girl. Perhaps you could read it, and use it as a basis for helping her.

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Simple. So much effort goes into learning it that we can't let it go to waste.
Very Happy

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Listen. Ask for suggestions. She wants to graduate from high school, so 9th grade math is required. And if she's working hard, the school should be able to find a way for her to do it.

I've heard wonderful things about https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Alg.....=8-3, but I'm guessing that there are things in there that would not be appropriate for a frum girl. Perhaps you could read it, and use it as a basis for helping her.

I dont think math in 9th grade is required in order to graduate high school. maybe it has to do with where you live. didnt pass 9th grade math and got my high school and regent diploma

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:42 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
I dont think math in 9th grade is required in order to graduate high school. maybe it has to do with where you live. didnt pass 9th grade math and got my high school and regent diploma

In NY you need to pass 2 maths to get your regents diploma, so if you failed algebra but passed trig & geometry then you're good

momtra

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:46 pm
All of these responses are so helpful!
Yes, she is classified with a learning disability ( language processing)
Just spoke with the school- they basically said that if she does not pass the course, she may take it in summer school, although she likely would not pass it then either.

They mentioned that it may come to her just not getting a traditional high school diploma. Which for me and my dh would be fine ...but my next question is, will this limit her seminary options? She's my oldest, but I hear so much about the competitive nature of getting into seminary.
Please tell me that there are seminaries that are ok with a "non-traditional" diploma?
Not really concerned about her career path in terms of college etc., I know that there are many different options that she can opt in to and do fine.
And yes, we try to put it all in perspective. I told her "No one is good at everything, be grateful that the thing that you are bad at is math and not bad at being a caring, growing person"
Oy.
Thanks everyone

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 2:54 pm
I never got my high school diploma. I went to seminary, got married, and had several jobs, including as a teacher. One job was as a sub in the very same high school that I didn't get a diploma in.

Guess who doesn't take her kids' grades too seriously?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 3:20 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I never got my high school diploma. I went to seminary, got married, and had several jobs, including as a teacher. One job was as a sub in the very same high school that I didn't get a diploma in.

Guess who doesn't take her kids' grades too seriously?

I’m glad that you have succeeded in life, and school isn’t and shouldn’t be everything. There are many things you can do and I am sure that you have many skills and talents. But I am sorry, there is something very wrong with them hiring you as a teacher. I think that might be indicative of a problem with the school.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I’m glad that you have succeeded in life, and school isn’t and shouldn’t be everything. There are many things you can do and I am sure that you have many skills and talents. But I am sorry, there is something very wrong with them hiring you as a teacher. I think that might be indicative of a problem with the school.

LOL, I was a top student in most subjects. They knew I was quite capable.

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

thats what I loved about my school. they worked with me and helped me make up the math course in a different way so that I can get a diploma. its so important for a student to feel understood by the faculty in school especially when shes bright and good in other subjects

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 3:51 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

She was just a sub. As a teacher I know, subs are impossible to find. Most schools will take almost anyone to sub, so I wouldn’t worry about it

professor

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:10 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Opposite problem. AP Calc. But can’t write an essay independently to save her life. Looks like it was written by a third grader and causes so much anxiety.
To be honest, I can’t help because I am exactly the same. Went into a number/lab driven field but can’t get away from writing reports.

Ha same here. Hated writing. Loved math. I never even look at math anymore, but it's always gonna have a place in my heart.

professor

Post Thu, May 20 2021, 5:14 pm
momtra wrote:
I told her "No one is good at everything, be grateful that the thing that you are bad at is math and not bad at being a caring, growing person"
Oy.
Thanks everyone
[b]

This is beautiful. You are a wonderful mother.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics