Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Parsha Chaya Sora

zuncompany

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 11:00 am
Hopefully some of you will be on today. We are having wonderful friends for shabbos (the ones who I met online and they come to us for shabbosim and yom tov a lot. reform, but asking so many questions we can't keep up with them) and their friends (conservadox). Politically we are on different sides of the spectrum, and I promised her no talk about the election at the table... no need for fights. She said she would like to talk about it... one topic specifically. Abortion. Ick. K, so I told her, if thats what you want, but I am going to insist that we talk about it in a torahdick way and we somehow connect it to the parsha. She told me not a problem, she was hoping I would say that. So, anyone have anything for me?????!!!! We just had this conversation today. Motek, anything good up your sleeve?

TIA!!
Sara

Motek

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 12:00 pm
connecting it to the parsha ... hmmm .... thinking ....

can't say I see a direct connection to the parsha, indirect is kind of weak too ...

some things you might want to bring up re abortion:

the Seven Noahide Laws, one of which is the prohibition of murder which includes abortion

that thanks to abortion, Israel has lost more children than were killed in the Holocaust, over a million and a half

what points do you think she will want to bring up?

zuncompany

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 12:22 pm
She is a liberal, but not at heart. She is leaning towards not feeling comfortable with the whole pro-choice thing now that she has kids. She wants to know what Torah says about it. What is allowed (there are a very small number of cases, no clue what though). I thought I would take it from the parsha, Sorah's life, motherhood, and how a woman's life does come first.. ie... why we can break a fast if we are at risk, etc... she will like this. However the mitzvah of having children, etc... I have talked with her about the whole sheva benai noach aspect already:) She is so interested in Torah and bringing into her life. However she has always been told the nonos and not the yeses. She is learning just by coming to us for holidays and shabbosim. B"H.

Anything for me?
Sara

zuncompany

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 12:30 pm
okay, is this true... listening to a parsha shir while cooking...

Sorah passed away when she heard Yitzchak was going to be sacrificed? Maybe I can tie that in... Sorah imanu was so distraught over her son being killed... how can one do it on purpose?

Does that makes sense. Wonderful if the Gutnick chumash has anything on it.
sara

Rochel Leah

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 12:59 pm
zun, you got me lokking into the gutnik chumash, bad on me I havent for a while: one thing it says on sara being distraught over yitzchaks passing is: Avaraham was able to cope with idea and he carried out the process with joy cuz he knew he was doing Hashems will.Sara on the other hand couldnt cope with this idea since her focus was to serve Hashem within this world. . As far as Sara was concerned, Yitzchak's neshma neede to stay in his body so thta he could make the world a better, holier place.

We need to bring neshams down into the world so that they could fulfill there purpose of being in a body to make the world a better place

YOur friend could say " well not everyone is on Sara's level and they feel they can't cope with bringing another soul into this world....

that was all I could find for now but I am going look for more things- its an interesting topic

zuncompany

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 1:09 pm
THANK YOU!!! Perfect... my husband has an arguement for that one;)

Oh man is this going to be an awesome shabbos.

Sara

Tefila

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 1:59 pm
Zun company
Quote:
Oh man is this going to be an awesome shabbos

Hatzlacha Rabah Very Happy

miriam

Post Fri, Nov 05 2004, 2:48 pm
Sara, you are amazing. I really hope it goes well. It seems like she really trusts you. Keep up the good work. P.S. Sorry I don't have any advice for you.

zuncompany

Post Sat, Nov 06 2004, 7:55 pm
B"H it was a really nice Shabbos. Once Rochel Leah posted I was much calmer. Usually after I bentch lict Zu plays, Tev cuddles with me, and I go through the Gutnick Chumash for something to give over by the dinner table. So, I sat down and thought it all out. The meal went really well. I went all out. There was political talk, but usually those were the times I chose to clear the table knowing my friend (not her husband... he kept bringing the election up) was depressed about the outcome. Finally after I had desert out (THANK CS for the awesome choc. toffuti pie recipes... its adicting!!!!!!! They were confused at first and didn't believe me it was pareve. I had to show them the containers of toffuti and the written out recipe) I was able to give everything over. I didn't want to give it over till the end of the night cause if anyone was upset I didn't want it to ruin the meal. B"H nobody was upset and it lead to a great discussion. My friend was very serious after that and seemed to be very introspective. When they left she told me thanks for the wonderful devar Torah and she now had a whole lot to think about. IY"H only for the good:) She did joke though at the end that the wonderful food, and the atmosphere of Shabbos really lift ones spirit. I told her I guess we will be having to do this a lot in the next four years. She agreed!!

Gutten Voch everyone!
Sara

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 3:01 pm
good for you, Sarah!!!
keep it up Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics