Home

Low carb/ no sugar - diabetic recipes
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 2:32 am
Looking for ideas of really low carb no sugar meals. Seem to be doing the same thing again and again.


Some things we currently eat:

Breakfast :
Greek yogurt - low fat

Lunch:
Tuna
Avocado or Egg salad on occasion (trying not to eat to much fat and need to watch cholesterol)


Supper:
Chicken cutlets baked with oil and spices
Chicken legs baked with a drop of water, lemon juice and spices

Israeli salad
Baked cauliflower or broccoli with Pam and spices

Low carb veggie soup
Chicken soup

One fruit a day

Sometimes nuts as snack.

More snacks are needed. And variety for the meals.
I’m stumped.
Any menu or recipe suggestions will be much appreciated
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 9:37 am
You can do omelets with veggies/cheese
Hungarian cheese salad
Low carb cheese snack
Mushroom egg salad
Avocado egg salad
Mock liver from green beans
String cheese
Tuna melt or panini from low carb wraps
Lox, sardines, canned salmon
Crustless veg quiche with cheese
Muffins made from almond flour there are ready frozen too or you can do homemade
Flax bread french toast
There are low carb melba toasts
Sunny side up
For breakfasts
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 9:43 am
Make things interesting. Make chicken shwarma. Fajitas over riced cauliflower. Dip cubes of chicken is sesame seeds and brown. Colorful chicken veggies kebabs. Ground chicken meatballs over zoodles. Burgers sandwiched between roasted portobellos. Rainbows of color and flavor with vegetables.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55907
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 9:43 am
You can make “rice” with stir fry veggies , using cauliflower rice and any other veggies you like. Add some seasoning, soy sauce, drop of sesame oil etc. Add pieces of chicken breast.

Zoodles- I use a julienne peeler or a spiralizer and make long spaghetti out of zucchini. Add it to a pan hot olive oil and crushed garlic and salt and let it sauté a few minutes.
You can always add tomatoe sauce or no sugar added marinara and meat or cheese.


Grilled chicken salad

Light Cottage cheese in a red pepper sprinkled with lemon pepper and chives
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 9:48 am
Lunches
Eggplant rollatini
Stuffed portabella caps
Sauteed veggies ( with or without cheese)
Salads
Veg kugels
Veg cutlets
Tuna patties
Any soup without flour/potatoes/ grains/starchy veg good would be like broccoli soup/ cauliflower soup/zucchini soup/mushroom soup

Dinner stick to protein/veg
Stirfries
Letcho
greenbeans
zucchini n eggs
Frank's n eggs
Cutlets coat in nuts
patties without flour/bread
Grilled cutlets/ grilled cutlet salad
Schwarma over salad
deli salad
Roasted veggies
Roasted green yellow squash slices
chicken bottoms baked with veggies
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 9:56 am
Kasha
Brown rice
Spaghetti squash "lukshen" kugel
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 9:58 am
dankbar wrote:
You can do omelets with veggies/cheese
Hungarian cheese salad
Low carb cheese snack
Mushroom egg salad
Avocado egg salad
Mock liver from green beans
String cheese
Tuna melt or panini from low carb wraps
Lox, sardines, canned salmon
Crustless veg quiche with cheese
Muffins made from almond flour there are ready frozen too or you can do homemade
Flax bread french toast
There are low carb melba toasts
Sunny side up
For breakfasts


Ty for your ideas. We need to watch out for cholesterol so eggs in moderation only.
We don’t eat bread or crackers or substitutes except shabbos
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 9:59 am
ra_mom wrote:
Make things interesting. Make chicken shwarma. Fajitas over riced cauliflower. Dip cubes of chicken is sesame seeds and brown. Colorful chicken veggies kebabs. Ground chicken meatballs over zoodles. Burgers sandwiched between roasted portobellos. Rainbows of color and flavor with vegetables.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55907


How do I cook flavorful meatballs without tomato sauce?

I also realized lots of spice mixes have sugar
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 10:04 am
thunderstorm wrote:
You can make “rice” with stir fry veggies , using cauliflower rice and any other veggies you like. Add some seasoning, soy sauce, drop of sesame oil etc. Add pieces of chicken breast.

Zoodles- I use a julienne peeler or a spiralizer and make long spaghetti out of zucchini. Add it to a pan hot olive oil and crushed garlic and salt and let it sauté a few minutes.
You can always add tomatoe sauce or no sugar added marinara and meat or cheese.


Grilled chicken salad

Light Cottage cheese in a red pepper sprinkled with lemon pepper and chives



Thanks I will definitely try the cauliflower rice! Would olive oil work or do I need to get sesame oil?
Do you peel the skin before spiralixing squash?
Lemon pepper has sugar Sad
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 10:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
Make things interesting. Make chicken shwarma. Fajitas over riced cauliflower. Dip cubes of chicken is sesame seeds and brown. Colorful chicken veggies kebabs. Ground chicken meatballs over zoodles. Burgers sandwiched between roasted portobellos. Rainbows of color and flavor with vegetables.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55907


How do I make shawarma? Do the spices have sugar?
Back to top

dankbar




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 10:08 am
You can't do low fat & low carb combined unless you will starve. Body needs one or the other.
Also you need lots of protein if you are not doing any carbs.
If you are diabetic focus should be on low carb/low-no sugar not on limiting eggs.
Rabbi Herschel Miesels has a diet thst is geared especially for diabetics. I would recommend you to follow such a style diet.

Healthy fats are fine.
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I cook flavorful meatballs without tomato sauce?

I also realized lots of spice mixes have sugar


I cook meatballs in chicken soup!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 10:18 am
dankbar wrote:
You can't do low fat & low carb combined unless you will starve. Body needs one or the other.
Also you need lots of protein if you are not doing any carbs.
If you are diabetic focus should be on low carb/low-no sugar not on limiting eggs.
Rabbi Herschel Miesels has a diet thst is geared especially for diabetics. I would recommend you to follow such a style diet.

Healthy fats are fine.


The limiting eggs is temporary - need to get cholesterol down.

The sugar levels are bh amazing and dh will start weaning off some meds this week. He is already feeling a lot better, more energy. Not falling asleep in middle of the day.... but we need variety to keep eating healthy sustainable. It’s so hard because it’s like pesach every day cooking and prepping meals with hardly any shortcuts.


No bread or substitutes are easier than stopping at one.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I cook flavorful meatballs without tomato sauce?

I also realized lots of spice mixes have sugar

Is tomato sauce an issue? You can buy natural tomato paste and mix one part paste and one part water, and season with onion, garlic, oregano, salt & pepper.

Meatballs are also delicious simmered in shredded vegetable soup. Really delicious.

Also great browed in a pan then lots of diced veggies added while they cook through.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do I make shawarma? Do the spices have sugar?

No sugar. Pereg makes a mix with just Cumin, Coriander, Allspice, Garlic, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt

Sauté sliced rings of onion until caramelized. Add chicken strips with shwarma seasoning and added salt and keep sautéing until cooked through.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks I will definitely try the cauliflower rice! Would olive oil work or do I need to get sesame oil?
Do you peel the skin before spiralixing squash?
Lemon pepper has sugar Sad

I use olive oil all the time. The sesame oil I’ve done just for a different flavor but not needed.
I don’t peel the zucchini
And I know lemon pepper can have sugar but I use such a small sprinkle , less then an 1/8 th of a teaspoon that it’s not an issue for me.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:11 am
Prima lemon pepper has no sugar.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:14 am
ra_mom wrote:
Is tomato sauce an issue? You can buy natural tomato paste and mix one part paste and one part water, and season with onion, garlic, oregano, salt & pepper.

Meatballs are also delicious simmered in shredded vegetable soup. Really delicious.

Also great browed in a pan then lots of diced veggies added while they cook through.


Tomatoes are higher in sugar than other veggies. I add them to salad but wouldn’t make a meal with tomato salad... so I assumed tomato sauce shouldn’t be used? My tomato sauce actually calls for lots of added sugar as well.
I’d love a recipe for one without....
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Prima lemon pepper has no sugar.


Thanks!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:16 am
Maybe I need a nutritionist so I know what I can cook
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Exercise for low back pain
by amother
4 Wed, Oct 13 2021, 12:23 am View last post
ISO low cost Creative Writing course for young adult, Bklyn
by amother
1 Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:26 pm View last post
Please share a Good sugar cookie dough recipe
by amother
3 Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:41 am View last post
Low maintenance pets?
by amother
9 Sun, Oct 10 2021, 3:38 pm View last post
Looking for low-pressure realtor
by amother
0 Thu, Oct 07 2021, 1:53 pm View last post