Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Cicada Thread 2021
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:09 pm
So far, our kids are loving this cicada wave. Not only do they like seeing the cicadas, but the cicadas are bringing out other animals like snakes, which they normally don't get to see much of.

Also, my 5-year old said to me this past week, "I didn't know non-Jewish people knew about cicadas. ______ is not Jewish and she knows about the cicadas!" Like, what? I have no idea how she got the impression there was anything distinctly Jewish about cicadas.

How's your cicada experience going?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So far, our kids are loving this cicada wave. Not only do they like seeing the cicadas, but the cicadas are bringing out other animals like snakes, which they normally don't get to see much of.

Also, my 5-year old said to me this past week, "I didn't know non-Jewish people knew about cicadas. ______ is not Jewish and she knows about the cicadas!" Like, what? I have no idea how she got the impression there was anything distinctly Jewish about cicadas.

How's your cicada experience going?

Are people around her calling it a "Maka"?

bigsis144

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:14 pm
BH not nearly as traumatic (so far) as I had feared. I really am okay with watching them through a window - my toddler and I sat watching one climb a bush for quite a while on Shabbos afternoon. She does say “I hate ‘skaydas! Ugly bugs!” but doesn’t seem too bothered.

My bigger kids, though... one of them is demanding to go to virtual school until the cicadas are gone because outdoor recess is mandatory. It’s a fight every single day and I am trying to balance genuine sympathy (they *are* gross and apparently we are in a pretty hard-hit area) with “your school doesn’t offer virtual classes anymore, sweetie. You can’t just skip school for a month.” It’s exhausting.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:16 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Are people around her calling it a "Maka"?

Interesting! She didn't mention anything about that, but I will ask her.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:18 pm
I didn't notice them. Does that mean I'm in a lucky area?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting! She didn't mention anything about that, but I will ask her.

all the rage in this thread!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....29867

Zehava

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:53 pm
Okay what?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 11:57 pm
Zehava wrote:
Okay what?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/23......html

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:08 am
Ha, that's funny that it was 96 near the airport as another decibel test in a different Cincinnati neighborhood was over 100 decibels. They get super duper loud. Like lawn mower loud.

Got my first cicada that slammed into me this time around on Shabbos.

They don't really bother me except my memories of having no where to walk except to crunch their exoskeletons all over the sidewalk the last time around.
We're only just getting started here...

superstar

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:16 am
where are you all? how cme I didnt see any?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 5:37 am
Only certain cities are privileged to get this massive brood.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 5:41 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

They don't really bother me except my memories of having no where to walk except to crunch their exoskeletons all over the sidewalk the last time around.

We're only just getting started here...
[b]

We’re allowed to crush them on shabbos when we walk?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 6:14 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
[b]

We’re allowed to crush them on shabbos when we walk?

Come to Baltimore and try walking 2 steps without stepping on one.

amother
White

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 6:20 am
Many years ago, when we would correspond with our camp friends by mail, a Baltimore friend of mine put one inside one of the letters she sent me:-)

Crookshanks

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Many years ago, when we would correspond with our camp friends by mail, a Baltimore friend of mine put one inside one of the letters she sent me:-)

That's disgusting but hahahahahahahahahaha

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 11:24 am
We’re going to Baltimore for Shabbos. My girls 6&4 are sooo excited. They plan to bring some back home. Home they don’t start creeping up here every 17 years cuz of my kids

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
We’re going to Baltimore for Shabbos. My girls 6&4 are sooo excited. They plan to bring some back home. Home they don’t start creeping up here every 17 years cuz of my kids

Please don’t bring them to a place that doesn’t have any. That’s really not so funny.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 11:35 am
Was just in Baltimore.
It’s amazing. The noise is like a constant hum. And the shells they leave behind are just fascinating.
It’s just annoying bec the bugs really gave no seichel and do fly into you. They don’t mean to but I don’t think they know.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 11:37 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Please don’t bring them to a place that doesn’t have any. That’s really not so funny.
This!

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 11:43 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Was just in Baltimore.
It’s amazing. The noise is like a constant hum. And the shells they leave behind are just fascinating.
It’s just annoying bec the bugs really gave no seichel and do fly into you. They don’t mean to but I don’t think they know.

They really are harmless, they’re just big and ugly and so so dumb. It’s like they fly or walk 3 feet and have to take a break for a long time cuz they’re tired now, or they get flipped onto their back by a breeze and then flap and flap as they try to right themselves. They’re not scared of people, so there’s no scurrying away like roaches or flies. The cicadas are SO DUMB.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics