Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Brandon Sanderson fans, raise your hands!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

raich

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 6:37 pm
I just got introduced to his books and I wonder why I have never heard of him before. It's like all my favorite things to read all rolled into one author!

So far I have read Skyward and Starsight. I am in love with Spensa! And Jorgen! And Kimmalyn and Arturo and Nedd and Cobb and everyone else lol.

Next on my list is The Way of Kings.

Anyone want to obsess with me?

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 6:57 pm
Yes!!! Mist born is my favorite

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 7:01 pm
Just finished the 4th volume of the Stormlight series — Sanderson is an excellent writer and unlike so much modern fiction, it's clean.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 7:11 pm
🙋🏻‍♀️ following!

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 7:12 pm
raich wrote:
I just got introduced to his books and I wonder why I have never heard of him before. It's like all my favorite things to read all rolled into one author!

So far I have read Skyward and Starsight. I am in love with Spensa! And Jorgen! And Kimmalyn and Arturo and Nedd and Cobb and everyone else lol.

Next on my list is The Way of Kings.

Anyone want to obsess with me?

How dare you leave out M-BOT and Doomslug 💛💙💛💙💛💙

So many amazing Brandon Sanderson books!!!

raich

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 7:59 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
How dare you leave out M-BOT and Doomslug 💛💙💛💙💛💙

So many amazing Brandon Sanderson books!!!

Doomslug!!!! M-Bot!!!! I am so happy right now oh my goodness.

Half the fun is being able to TALK about it and be so happy to someone else lol. DH is super not into Sci-fi or fantasy so he doesn't get it. Most of my friends don't care for those genres either (not sure what's up with them, honestly...)

What are your favorites of his? I am looking forward to starting Stormlight (maybe even tonight! Yay!) which should probably take a while to plow through haha. What should I put on my reading list after that?

I noticed he also has free novellas on his website. Anyone have recommendations for those?

paperflowers

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 8:25 pm
I got lured in with Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians. I’ve also read the Steelheart series and Legion, which is a novella. He’s a great author. But Way of Kings is far too long for me!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 8:37 pm
Way of kings and stormlight archives are amazing! I wasn’t as into his other ones..

imasinger

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 8:53 pm
Huge fans here! We've read everything he's written, and are eagerly awaiting what's next.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 10:00 pm
K so I'm assuming this is fantasy? Sci-fi? Yes, google says both.

I kind of like magical stuff but not when it's a really complex universe totally unlike anything I know about & I have to keep track of tons of rules etc.

Can some of you give those of us who are not familiar a little review of your favorite books?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 10:20 pm
This thread makes me so happy. I'm the managing editor for his YA books and get to work with his incredible editor. It's so nice to see he has so many fans.

EMEN

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 10:37 pm
It's so hard to choose a favorite. I think I'll have to go with Mistborn because it was the first book of his that I read.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 10:53 pm
I am not a fan of his genre, but my teen DS loves these books. He read his YA books years ago and was thrilled to realize there are adult books by Sanderson as well.

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 10:54 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
This thread makes me so happy. I'm the managing editor for his YA books and get to work with his incredible editor. It's so nice to see he has so many fans.

!!!!!!!!!!

So cool!!!!!

Siriusly?

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 4:30 am
I've wanted to get into Brandon Sanderson for a while now, but there are so many books I don't know where to start! Is Mistborn a good place to begin?

raich

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
K so I'm assuming this is fantasy? Sci-fi? Yes, google says both.

I kind of like magical stuff but not when it's a really complex universe totally unlike anything I know about & I have to keep track of tons of rules etc.

Can some of you give those of us who are not familiar a little review of your favorite books?

So far I've only read Skyward and Starsight but I would definitely recommend starting there as they're easy reads, exciting, funny, and smart. Very cool world building and character development.
In short, they take place sometime in the future in space locations other than Earth, and center around a girl who faces many challenges to reach her dreams and do what she feels is right and important for her. And gets into much trouble and snafus along the way hehe.

scruffy

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 9:53 am
I loved Mistborn but not really the Stormlight Archive...

The worldbuilding felt more compelling to me in Mistborn. It felt a little steampunk-y too which is one of my favorites. I ended up skipping some of the POVs in Stormlight because I wasn't enjoying those characters.

Any recs?

scruffy

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 9:56 am
What's interesting to me is his heavy focus on different religious systems, when I believe he is a practicing Mormon.

tigerwife

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

That’s so cool!!

I’m actually feeling fomo from all this fangirling about series I haven’t read. I did start Mistborn (thanks to bigsis’s rec) but for some reason I couldn’t get into and then had to return it to the library. Is it that worth it to take it out again and push through the first through chapters? (I think it was Mistborn, started off with someone overseeing slaves when an inspector came; on the slaves end they are visited by some troublemaker who isn’t as fearful as the rest of them. I cringed as the evil overseer searched for women to snag :-/ in general, I’m not a huge fan of dystopian fiction).

scruffy

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 10:53 am
tigerwife wrote:
That’s so cool!!

I’m actually feeling fomo from all this fangirling about series I haven’t read. I did start Mistborn (thanks to bigsis’s rec) but for some reason I couldn’t get into and then had to return it to the library. Is it that worth it to take it out again and push through the first through chapters? (I think it was Mistborn, started off with someone overseeing slaves when an inspector came; on the slaves end they are visited by some troublemaker who isn’t as fearful as the rest of them. I cringed as the evil overseer searched for women to snag :-/ in general, I’m not a huge fan of dystopian fiction).

Yes, that's Mistborn. The setting of the first chapter is not revisited so if that's all you read I would give it another try. I really enjoyed it! (Though to be fair my husband who is a classic fantasy/ sci fi reader did not)
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room