Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Tacos for shabbos lunch?

RW

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 9:59 am
Ok, silly question, I know, but I just wanted to ask .....Has anyone ever made tacos for shabbos? We're getting so bored of typical shabbos food, like chicken and potatoes, which I've made every week for years. I wanted to do something fun this week for lunch, so I was thinking tacos. What's your thoughts on having "taco Tuesday" on shabbos?

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:09 am
Sounds delicious! You can probably just make the taco meat in a crockpot. You can do pulled beef or ground beef. Or even steak. Or fish! Go for it! You can warm up the shells or tortilla on blech or hotplate.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:14 am
Totally! I made a slow cooker Cuban dish last week and we used the meat for tacos. It was a huge hit - I made cilantro lime rice too and my husband said it was one of the best meals we ever had.

Frumme

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:16 am
avrahamama wrote:
Sounds delicious! You can probably just make the taco meat in a crockpot. You can do pulled beef or ground beef. Or even steak. Or fish! Go for it! You can warm up the shells or tortilla on blech or hotplate.

I think pulled beef would be the best choice, I once did ground beef for a cholent and it seriously overcooked

scruffy

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:26 am
Frumme wrote:
I think pulled beef would be the best choice, I once did ground beef for a cholent and it seriously overcooked

Honestly anything I put in a crockpot tastes like cholent by the time it gets eaten Shabbos day.

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:36 am
I remember going out for Shabbos once, and the hostess announced she was bored of regular food and we were having a Mexican themed Shabbos meal. Including tacos. It was unusual, but tasted great.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:36 am
scruffy wrote:
Honestly anything I put in a crockpot tastes like cholent by the time it gets eaten Shabbos day.

This. If you're going to do it in the crockpot only use garlic and salt (lots) to cook it with. And make a separate sauce with other flavors that *does not* cook for 24 hours in the crockpot. Rather, toss the shredded beef with the sauce (that you warmed on top of the crockpot) right before serving.
And use soft tacos/flour tortillas instead of hard tacos, since you can't toast them right before.

cbsp

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:54 am
ra_mom wrote:
This. If you're going to do it in the crockpot only use garlic and salt (lots) to cook it with. And make a separate sauce with other flavors that *does not* cook for 24 hours in the crockpot. Rather, toss the shredded beef with the sauce (that you warmed on top of the crockpot) right before serving.
And use soft tacos/flour tortillas instead of hard tacos, since you can't toast them right before.

AYLOR about warming liquids on top of a crockpot. My understanding is that technique is only ok for dry items.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:56 am
cbsp wrote:
AYLOR about warming liquids on top of a crockpot. My understanding is that technique is only ok for dry items.

It's ok for thick sauce that has been cooked before (not raw)

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:57 am
I think it’s fun to play around with shabbos menus every now and then. I say go for it!

eduardo

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:58 am
I do this all the time. Slow cooker pulled beef, then have a spread of taco shells, salsa, guac, dips, etc

Always a huge hit

mamaleh

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's ok for thick sauce that has been cooked before (not raw)

Everyone should AYLOR, because this is not the way I learned it. It seems there must be different opinions.

essie14

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:05 pm
I make pulled beef in the crockpot all the time for Shabbat.
It doesn't taste like chulent.
Take a piece of raw brisket. Line crockpot with sliced onions.
Put the beef inside.
Pour a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.
Cook on low from candle lighting to lunch time.
Shred with 2 forks.

We do tacos, pulled beef, and all kinds of things for Shabbat meals.
Go for it!

Teomima

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 2:16 pm
essie14 wrote:
I make pulled beef in the crockpot all the time for Shabbat.
It doesn't taste like chulent.
Take a piece of raw brisket. Line crockpot with sliced onions.
Put the beef inside.
Pour a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.
Cook on low from candle lighting to lunch time.
Shred with 2 forks.

We do tacos, pulled beef, and all kinds of things for Shabbat meals.
Go for it!

I've done this, too. Very easy (and even better with homemade bourbon whiskey barbecue sauce!)

As for OP, we love tacos on shabbat. I usually make them vegetarian since that's how I roll, plus they're great with shredded cheddar, but to each their own obviously. Kids enjoy being able to assemble their own serving so it's fun for the whole family.

Girl@Heart

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 2:20 pm
I’m all for variety on Shabbos, but tacos seems very weekday-ish to me.

Frumme

Post Sat, May 29 2021, 10:12 pm
scruffy wrote:

I mean the ground beef was like burnt, inedible! Not just cholent-tasting Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus