Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Neve Campus Memories
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:32 am
I have so many fond memories of my year in Israel. I attended Bnos Sarah, a BY seminary on Neve campus and loved meeting people from all different backgrounds.

It really added to my experience.

I had a walking partner who was in Midreshet Tehilla and a library friend in Neve.

I also had laundry room buddies who somehow always ended up there at the same time as me. I shared a load of laundry once with a girl in the Israeli Neve program.

Any other amothers who were in school on Neve campus?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:46 am
No, but I am a grandchild of Mr. Vogel in the kitchen and would love to hear if you or anyone remembers him!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:52 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
No, but I am a grandchild of Mr. Vogel in the kitchen and would love to hear if you or anyone remembers him!

One of the only positive memories of my time in Neve was when they took pity on me and invited me into the kitchen to make chocolate rogelach for everyone. The filling involved coco powder, sugar and oil, but everyone said it was wonderful. It might have been Rosh Chodesh or something. But I got a few hours away from the crowd and doing something I enjoyed.

raich

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:52 am
Yes! Such great memories.

I loved Chanukah in the dining room, all those rows and rows of menorahs lined up on the shelves...

My friends and I were obsessed with the soy shnitzels lol.

I also became friendly with some of the Neve girls. There was one girl in particular who had such a cool life story-- her father was a southern Preacher/Pastor and she and her sister both converted to Judaism. It was so inspiring to me.

The grounds were beautiful! Especially the Shivas Haminim garden. I would go there for some "hisbodedus" when I got too intense LOL

There was also an Eim Bayit there who I spent a lot of time "living" by who changed my life for the better in so many ways...

I'm not sure if Mr. Vogel was there when I was but the food was amazing! So if yes, thank you Mr. Vogel!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:58 am
Yes to the Chanuka menorahs!

You would walk by the dining room window and see hundreds of lights shining out... So beautiful...

And I loved that we were in Har Nof and a little away from the hustle and bustle. That way we had the green space which was so rejuvenating.

Although it was a big shlep to get to the Kotel... I would go for vasikin when there was a direct bus.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:01 pm
I remember Neve when it was in Bayit Vegan!
I attended Neve at both campuses. Such wonderful precious memories.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:15 pm
Of course, who can forget Mr Vogel cutting up watermelons at the head table. I was there summer 97 and during the years 98 and 99 at the main neve program.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:29 pm
I didn’t have anywhere to go for my Purim Seudah and somehow got invited to one of the Israeli women who served lunch.
Bnos chava.
Living on neve campus was an amazing experience.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:30 pm
Probably not what you are looking for...but I was in Maalot '96 as an off-grounder (I didn't sleep in the dorm).

I absolutely loved the springtime, with the roses blooming in the flower boxes. It was so beautiful!

And how fit was I then....I would get off at the first bus stop in Har Nof (cuz this gave me an extra 10 minutes of sleep - totally worth it!) And I would race up this narrow set of stairs between two buildings...and up another....and this back path that took you into Neve campus, all of it uphill. I could do all of that in like 5 minutes or so, and come in huffing and puffing on time for class.

I loved the dining room at lunch time with so many different people there, such a hub.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:33 pm
I remember sitting in the lobby just after getting over hepatitis and rabbi kelman walking pass and then when he saw me he back tracked and asked me how I was.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 12:33 pm
I did a program at Neve one winter. I wasn't there long enough to have any "insider" experiences but I just want to add that it was one of the best memories of my life and such a wonderful place Smile I'll never forget being taught by Rabbi Kelemen, he was unbelievably inspiring. Rebbetzin Heller too. They truly changed the trajectory of my life.

raich

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 1:01 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I did a program at Neve one winter. I wasn't there long enough to have any "insider" experiences but I just want to add that it was one of the best memories of my life and such a wonderful place Smile I'll never forget being taught by Rabbi Kelemen, he was unbelievably inspiring. Rebbetzin Heller too. They truly changed the trajectory of my life.

Did he rappel into the classroom through the window?? I always heard he did that and would love to hear about it from someone who saw it!

Chayalle, so true about being fit! I walked all over Yerushalayim. Those Har Nof steps were brutal! But very effective at (somewhat) offsetting all the rugelach calories Laugh

icedcoffee

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 1:16 pm
raich wrote:
Did he rappel into the classroom through the window?? I always heard he did that and would love to hear about it from someone who saw it!

Lol unfortunately that doesn't ring a bell! But I do remember a lot of girls heard he was speaking and really wanted to come but space was so limited, so a bunch of people left their phones on a desk to record his talk. I thought that was so special! I felt so happy to be able to be there.

The Har Nof stairs I do remember.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 1:43 pm
I went to Bnos Sarah too!
Second year of their existence, 2005-2006.
I also went to Maalot on Neve the following year.

I remember...
- The fruit break between morning classes. You got your apple or orange, and very rarely a banana or other fruit. It was a big deal when the girl on snack toranut came back with her crate of fruit, LOL
- Yes, the absolute WALL of menorahs on Chanukah, as well as the campus-wide Chanukah performances and Chagiga. So inspiring!!!
- how cool and modern the Mifal HaPayis building was with its futuristic-looking metal stuff on the roof
- the Petel-syrup bottles next to the drinking water. They’re NOT pump dispensers of soap!
- davening Kabbalas Shabbos on the stone amphitheater steps, singing Lecha Dodi with my seminary mates on an “in Shabbos”
- my roommate exaggeratedly coughing when she would pass Israeli students who smoked 😝
- waiting for my turn to play the piano in the dining room, and marveling at how talented some of the other students were when they played
- dropping a massive can of tuna on my toe when I had Kitchen Toranut and being black and blue for months

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I went to Bnos Sarah too!
Second year of their existence, 2005-2006.
I also went to Maalot on Neve the following year.

I remember...
- The fruit break between morning classes. You got your apple or orange, and very rarely a banana or other fruit. It was a big deal when the girl on snack duty came back with her crate of fruit, LOL
- Yes, the absolute WALL of menorahs on Chanukah, as well as the campus-wide Chanukah performances and Chagiga. So inspiring!!!
- how cool and modern the Mifal HaPayis building was with its futuristic-looking metal stuff on the roof
- the Petel-syrup bottles next to the drinking water. They’re NOT pump dispensers of soap!
- davening Kabbalas Shabbos on the stone amphitheater steps, singing Lecha Dodi with my seminary mates on an “in Shabbos”
- my roommate exaggeratedly coughing when she would pass Israeli students who smoked 😝
- waiting for my turn to play the piano in the dining room, and marveling at how talented some of the other students were when they played
- dropping a massive can of tuna on my toe when I had Kitchen Duty and being black and blue for months

I was on Neve campus the same year as you!
The Payis building! Super fancy.
And the crates of fruit! I don't remember ever getting bananas, though.
The first day on campus I actually used the Petel to wash my hands and was wondering why it made my hands all red LOL LOL LOL
And the piano! I had forgotten about that.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 2:25 pm
Ah yes, the piano was magical. And the guy that would set up his books to sell at the cafeteria during lunch. Smart guy

wantavaca

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 4:18 pm
I remember the potato borekas and pita pizzas
and did anyone else attend exercise classes in the bomb shelter?
I am so nostalgic reading this I wanna cry

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 4:25 pm
wantavaca wrote:
I remember the potato borekas and pita pizzas
and did anyone else attend exercise classes in the bomb shelter?
I am so nostalgic reading this I wanna cry

Yes!! I remember going to a hip hop class in the bomb shelter!!

I remember the girls who would put chocolate milk powder or instant coffee in their yogurt/leben at breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast, the massive plastic boxes of cereal - always two kinds of corn flakes (one of them yellow, the other more natural), a sweet puffed wheat cereal like Smacks. And of course, milk in bags!!!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 4:39 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
Ah yes, the piano was magical. And the guy that would set up his books to sell at the cafeteria during lunch. Smart guy

I remember him! Definitely bought several sefarim from him. Went to Moreshet around 10 years ago.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 4:49 pm
And there was only 2 payphones on campus and in my last year they added to each floor a payphone
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics