Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Are you a righty or lefty?
Previous  1  2

Are you a righty or lefty
Righty  
 62%  [ 111 ]
Lefty  
 32%  [ 57 ]
Ambidextrous  
 4%  [ 8 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 177

singleagain

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:25 pm
honey36 wrote:
Im a lefty. Surprised at the poll is so high for left. I always heard is less than 10% of population.

Only thing it really makes a difference for me is my knife skills. I'm fast but can't cut anything without a plate/cutting board. Also I can basically only use serrated knives.

I bet the poll is higher bc left handled ppl prob are more likely to come click into the poll. Since this is something that affects them more than right handed ppl

I have a brother who is lefty .I once bought him a mug that says "God only made a few perfect people the rest are right-handed.

Also I'm switching over to voice to text

My father has a theory that his father was a left-handed because he one time took his pen in his right hand and signed his name and put his pen in his left hand and signed his name and the signatures were identical. So my father believes that my grandfather was forced to use his right hand as a child but was a natural left.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:32 pm
I'm a lefty. I iron and use the computer mouse perfectly with my right hand. Doesn't affect me otherwise

Crookshanks

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:33 pm
Im a lefty. Sitting next to eighties during meals is so annoying.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I also basically only use serrated knives but I didn’t do it has anything to do with being a lefty, what’s the connection?

I have read knives are actually sharpened either left or right side. But I am a lefty and I have great knife skills with regular knives - a good knife that is well sharpened is the trick. I don't know what it would be like to have a left sharpened knife - maybe in my next life I will come back as a chef and find out. Smile

Main problem was learning stuff is done with one hand like many sports or when I started guitar. Because you can't really copy someone and do it backwards the way many of the instructors would have me do. So I took to sports like horseback riding where I used both hands and wasn't at a disadvantage. I studied piano and I was probably a bit stronger on the bass than I should have been. LOL

Also sitting next to someone in a booth at a restaurant can be awkward. And thinking on it, I realize that I actually eat backwards instinctively. I hold the fork with my right hand and cut with my left and then put down the knife and transfer the fork to my left hand. I don't know how I learned to do it that way since it is the exact opposite of how Americans transfer their eating utensils. I am very good with chopsticks though. LOL

I think some of the statistics are probably skewed because it is only fairly recently that left handed children aren't forced to be right handed so the population of real lefties might be rising. My maternal grandfather was probably left handed but was forced to be right handed so that is probably where I got that recessive gene. My mother was right handed. My father was right handed but my brother and I were both left handed so my father must have had acquired that recessive gene as well. Thankfully there weren't any other recessive genes lurking in our DNA. Smile

amother
Coral

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:37 am
Lefty here.

Uh scissors. Can openers. Peelers. All so frustrating if you don't have lefty ones.

DH is also a lefty and I told him were going to make a lefty accessible household only, so when righties come in they'll know how we feel.

There's a lefty mug that has a small hole on the right side by the top so if a righty tries drinking they'll spill all over themselves.

Really want to buy one for the office. No one will ever use my mug again.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:41 am
Also this is an Israeli issue as in school desks sit two people, but if you are placed on a certain side next to a right your elbows bump. I used to switch seats when we took tests or did anything that involved a lot of writing.

I never took notes though. So this wasn't on a daily basis.

I'm also a redhead, I contain many reccesive genes.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:44 am
I'm a lefty and so is my sister. Both my parents are right-handed but it's possible my father was switched as a child.

I don't think it's a big deal. I also think lefties do more with their right hands than righties do with their left hands. I adapt.

My DH is a righty but he is fascinated by lefties.

My in-laws were aghast that their son was marrying a lefty. It was considered to be a major character defect. As you can imagine we did not have a good relationship.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:48 am
I wrote lefty, but it depends on the task. Gross motor skills? Better on the Right. Fine motor skills, like writing or sewing? Much better on the left.

I can do most things with both hands, though there's always a better hand. And the are some things, like drawing or other creative things, which are only possible with my left hand.

chanchy123

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 5:23 am
Both DH and I are right-handed, but my mother and my MIL are left handed, of my children 2/5 are left handed (actually one of them is ambidextrous- but he writes and eats with his left hand - we had to ask our LOR about which hand he should lay tefilin on - the rav threw him a ball and he caught it with his right hand - so halachicly he’s a righty- true story).

chanchy123

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 5:24 am
Rappel wrote:
I wrote lefty, but it depends on the task. Gross motor skills? Better on the Right. Fine motor skills, like writing or sewing? Much better on the left.

I can do most things with both hands, though there's always a better hand. And the are some things, like drawing or other creative things, which are only possible with my left hand.

My DS is the opposite, fine motor skills with his left - gross with his right.

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 5:49 am
I am much stronger with my left. I kick with my left foot. I have taught myself to do right handed things well. All my kids are righties.
My grandfather was forcibly switched. He was a biochemist and had equally messy handwriting.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 6:05 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Lefty here.

Uh scissors. Can openers. Peelers. All so frustrating if you don't have lefty ones.

DH is also a lefty and I told him were going to make a lefty accessible household only, so when righties come in they'll know how we feel.

There's a lefty mug that has a small hole on the right side by the top so if a righty tries drinking they'll spill all over themselves.

Really want to buy one for the office. No one will ever use my mug again.

Hear hear! I second every idea mentioned here. Also, it's not fun to have a word like "sinister" named after you......

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 6:26 am
I voted other as I write with my left but also do a lot with my right. My right hand/arm is stronger, but doesn't have the same dexterity as my left. I can also write with my right but it's not that neat.

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 8:08 am
I’m a righty for the most part. The only time I’m a lefty is when I play baseball or golf.

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 8:20 am
It’s interesting that you bring this up. Every single person who I’m aware of being lefty are all creatives. Whether it’s drawing, writing/telling stories, poems, or jokes. Their creative minds seem more developed than righty people.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 8:28 am
I am a righty but cannot cut with my right hand for the life of me! Only with my left. With regular scissors.

I have messy handwriting (which I think is more genetic than related to whether someone is R or L handed) but I am very creative and good with my hands.

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 8:32 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I am a righty but cannot cut with my right hand for the life of me! Only with my left. With regular scissors.

I have messy handwriting (which I think is more genetic than related to whether someone is R or L handed) but I am very creative and good with my hands.

Oh, I didn't mean it in that way. For instance, all lefties are creatives, but not all creatives are lefties.

chanchy123

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:43 am
MrsDash wrote:
It’s interesting that you bring this up. Every single person who I’m aware of being lefty are all creatives. Whether it’s drawing, writing/telling stories, poems, or jokes. Their creative minds seem more developed than righty people.

I know plenty non-creative lefties, including in my immediate family. In fact, of seven children, my least creative sibling is also probably the least creative.
My grandmother was a lefty and also forced to use her right hand as a child. As a result she could always use but hands equally, a true ambidextrous.

windchime

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:48 am
According to poll 1/3 are lefties...

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:19 pm
windchime wrote:
According to poll 1/3 are lefties...

Now it’s 50/50 but that’s probably because of what single one said. Ik whenever I see the word lefty I’m very interested.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics