Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Poll: Righty or Lefty and Creativity

Is being a lefty correlated with creativity?
I'm a righty and I'm artistic/ creative  
 44%  [ 37 ]
I'm a righty and I'm not  
 15%  [ 13 ]
I'm a lefty and I'm artistic/ creative  
 25%  [ 21 ]
I'm a lefty and I'm not  
 10%  [ 9 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 83

scruffy

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:55 am
S/o the other righty or lefty thread. I'm curious to see if there are truly more artistic/ creative lefties than righties (proportionally).

Artistic/creative does NOT necessarily mean good at drawing. There are many kinds of creativity.

Me? I consider myself a creative person, and I happen to be a righty.

But I'm just one data point Smile

Please vote, thank you!

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 10:57 am
Righty and extremely uncreative.

scruffy

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:23 am
So far, what's interesting to me is that so many people identify as artistic/ creative.

Could be skewed because of who chooses to open the poll, or possibly the site demographics?

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:55 am
I'm sometimes creative, sometimes not.
I am a natural lefty, but my parents did not allow it. Sometimes I unknowingly do things with my left hand, but then I remind myself to go back to my right.
So not sure where I fall here.

scruffy

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:56 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I am a natural lefty, but my parents did not allow it. Sometimes I unknowingly do things with my left hand, but then I remind myself to go back to my right.

I would consider you a lefty.

About the creativity aspect... Maybe it is linked to your right/left hand switching too. This is very intriguing to me.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:58 am
scruffy wrote:
I would consider you a lefty.

About the creativity aspect... Maybe it is linked to your right/left hand switching too. This is very intriguing to me.

But I write, eat, etc. with my right hand as that is how I was taught. I don't have a preference, it really varies. According to halacha, I'm a righty, but it isn't relevant as I am a woman. Anyways, I have a few lefty children who I also changed to righty. Old fashioned I guess, but I don't think it is a real problem. My lefty children have my personality :-/

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:15 pm
ambidextrous and creative

tigerwife

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
But I write, eat, etc. with my right hand as that is how I was taught. I don't have a preference, it really varies. According to halacha, I'm a righty, but it isn't relevant as I am a woman. Anyways, I have a few lefty children who I also changed to righty. Old fashioned I guess, but I don't think it is a real problem. My lefty children have my personality :-/

Out of curiosity, what was your reasoning for changing your lefty children to righties? We’re you happy that you were encouraged to change growing up?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:15 pm
I’m a lefty and I’m pretty creative but at random times. Sometimes I can’t think of an idea

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:40 pm
Since none of us can objectively assess our own creativity (and how do we define creativity anyway?) you're not going to get any genuinely meaningful data here. However, I will admit to being a righty without an ounce of artistic ability unless you consider making gorgeous kippot srugot "artistic." I'd consider it more of a craft. OTOH I am creative in non-"artistic" ways, primarily verbally, and if I say so myself, I make great creative use of materials for Purim costumes.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:42 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Out of curiosity, what was your reasoning for changing your lefty children to righties? We’re you happy that you were encouraged to change growing up?

I don't feel one way about it, but my husband's dayan was insistent that we change the lefty children because they were boys. I had no issue and they don't even have to know. It's not a "thing" I just remind them to use their right hand.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 4:46 pm
I am an art teacher for over 20 years for both kids and adults.
I do NOT find any correlation between being a lefty and creativity or artistic talent.
I have about one in 9 kids who are lefties, same as in the general population.

Ima Piano

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 5:10 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

Why would your parents not allow you to be a lefty

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 5:22 pm
Im a righty, I'm creative. I'm great at graphics, party planning, drawing, I'm the first my family and Friends call when they need advice on house design, or clothing shopping. Love styling hair and makeup as a hobby. I was the worst student in school.
Dh is s a lefty, he's a great contractor, perfectionist, enjoys creating miniatures as a hobby. Extremely bright.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 5:26 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I don't feel one way about it, but my husband's dayan was insistent that we change the lefty children because they were boys. I had no issue and they don't even have to know. It's not a "thing" I just remind them to use their right hand.

It's a issue with the boys because of the tiffin.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 29 2021, 5:26 pm
Ima Piano wrote:
Why would your parents not allow you to be a lefty

My sister is a lefty. She's 52 years old. When she was in school, all lefties were punished, even smacked with rulers!

She was forced to write right handed, forced to use right handed scissors. If she came to school with her own lefty scissors, they were taken away from her.

She would come home crying, with blisters on her hands, and even bleeding sometimes. She hated school so much! I felt really bad for her.

She's still a lefty. No amount of torture could change her brain wiring. She's also very creative in her own way.

I'm strongly right handed, and super creative. I always have been. Everything from writing fiction to sewing my own stuffed animals, to creating a successful jewelry design business. I also do silk painting, and hope to start teaching classes at some point.

amother
Orange

Post Sat, May 29 2021, 7:14 pm
I'm a righty and consider myself creative, but my daughter who is a lefty is the most artistic of all my kids.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, May 29 2021, 7:15 pm
I'm a righty and very creative and crafty but not artistic at all. Not just my opinion, people often ask me for ideas...

scruffy

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:56 am
Based on the results so far, of this unscientific poll:

75% of righties identified as creative
70% of lefties identified as creative.

IOW no correlation.

Thanks all!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 12:39 pm
Just want to say, as a proffessional artist and art teacher, that having artistic talent is not the same as creativity.

You can be very creative, be able to write creative stories or think up creative solutions to problems, but not be able to draw.

Drawing/painting is a skill that can be taught.

I actually do not consider myslef creative at all, as my goal in all my art is to mimic real life as much as possible.

I have had many creative students who did not draw so well, and students who copied exactly what I did, with no imagination, but drew beautifully.

As a teacher, I try to encourage them to be creative and not always copy what I do, and some do, while others try to copy my work as accurately as possible. I think both skills are valuable [being able to be creative, and being able to accurately copy what you see as the basis for real life drawing.]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics