Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O how much do you spend on food PER ADULT per month?

How much do you spend on food PER ADULT per month?
$0-200  
 21%  [ 13 ]
$201-400  
 55%  [ 34 ]
$401-600  
 9%  [ 6 ]
$601-800  
 8%  [ 5 ]
$801-1000  
 3%  [ 2 ]
$>1000  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 61

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 11:56 am
It's easier to compare if you say how much you spend on food including groceries, takeout, restaurants per ADULT per month. If you have two kids who eat like one adult count them like one adult.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:06 pm
I don't divvy up my budget this way. Food is one category and I try to keep it under a certain amount.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 1:32 pm
No idea!
Some months I eat more some months I stock up so groceries are more.
Some months my husband works more so eats less at home. I have no idea how much we each spend.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 5:09 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I don't divvy up my budget this way. Food is one category and I try to keep it under a certain amount.
Doesn't your food budget change with every addition to your family?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 12:26 am
To those who voted 201-400, what in heaven's name are you eating? peanut butter sandwiches? one sandwich a day is three dollars, and I doubt you're eating only a sandwich a day. I don't understand how you eat on fifty dollars a week, or 7 dollars a day (which would equal 200 a month), (and 7 dollars a day on Shabbos too?).

Ok, so maybe you were all referring to the upper end of it: 400 a month. That's 100 a week, so how much of that is for Shabbos, and how much does that leave for weekday?
and what in heaven's name are you eating?

As you can probably guess, I voted in the higher range.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 12:37 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
To those who voted 201-400, what in heaven's name are you eating? peanut butter sandwiches? one sandwich a day is three dollars, and I doubt you're eating only a sandwich a day. I don't understand how you eat on fifty dollars a week, or 7 dollars a day (which would equal 200 a month), (and 7 dollars a day on Shabbos too?).

Ok, so maybe you were all referring to the upper end of it: 400 a month. That's 100 a week, so how much of that is for Shabbos, and how much does that leave for weekday?

$100 per person per week? I don’t think that’s so little at all...

Teomima

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 2:50 am
No way to answer that. It's impossible to keep track of just what the adults eat vs the kids. And I can't count two or three kids as adults because they don't eat all their meals from home. Plus it fluctuates depending on the time of year, how active everyone is, if we're in lockdown or not, if we're home or out all day, etc. Plus grocery bills include non-food items. Honestly I don't know how anyone with kids can answer.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 11:59 am
Teomima wrote:
No way to answer that. It's impossible to keep track of just what the adults eat vs the kids. And I can't count two or three kids as adults because they don't eat all their meals from home. Plus it fluctuates depending on the time of year, how active everyone is, if we're in lockdown or not, if we're home or out all day, etc. Plus grocery bills include non-food items. Honestly I don't know how anyone with kids can answer.
If kids eat school lunch factor in that cost. You eat different amounts based on the time of year, you mean shabbos and yt? Use an approximate average.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

It costs you three dollars to prepare a peanut butter sandwich?! A slice of bread costs way less than that.

Teomima

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If kids eat school lunch factor in that cost. You eat different amounts based on the time of year, you mean shabbos and yt? Use an approximate average.

It's really not so simple. Regarding kids meals it runs the gamut: I've got a kid who gets all their meals at school, another who gets half their meals, and others who take everything from home. Regarding time of year no I don't mean shabbat and yt, I mean seasonal. We eat more soups in winter, which are made with vegetables and are cheaper meals. We spend more on produce in the summer because we eat what's in season and cherries, sweet corn, grapes, and asparagus are more expensive than the apples and oranges we tend to eat during the winter. I will try to vote anyways, based on our average monthly food bills, but it's going to be a very wild approximation.

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 1:33 pm
When I was single and living alone, my food budget was well under $200 (approx 800 NIS) a month. I normally ate out on Shabbos, so that was a saving.

Now it's probably in the region of $200 plus a month, but not too much more. Making Shabbos is an additional cost, but it results in leftovers that carry us through the first part of the week.

I think Teomima is right though. Once you get past the stage of one or two toddlers it is very hard hard to allocate a food budget per person. It's all too integrated to say what each person costs each week, and just becomes a general food budget.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 2:10 pm
To save money on food, and eat healthier, eat home cooked food - not take out or frozen meals.

Cheapest Foods:

Protein:

Beans
Peanut Butter
Eggs
Chicken on the bone
Turkey on the bone
Canned Tuna
Canned Salmon
Ground beef
Ground Turkey

Carbs:

Rice
Bread
Pasta
Oatmeal
Popcorn
Pretzels

Produce:

Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Zuchinni
Cabbage
Frozen Vegetables

Apples
Oranges
Bananas

#BestBubby

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 2:23 pm
Also try to find the cheapest supermarket that is convenient.

Order online or just one big weekly order.

The more often you go to the store, the bigger your grocery bill will be as you will buy "extras".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics