Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shortcuts to an organized house
1  2  Next

gold2

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:33 pm
I am looking for shortcuts to a well run home without having to give up on my sanity. I am not looking for perfection but that my home should be functional and happy.

Do you have any great tips and shortcuts to share?

My tips are:

1. Following the fly lady website weekly launch pad ideas. Just by doing one small daily task every day really helps to overhaul the home.
2. Eating on disposables to save time on washing up
3. Buying easy to make foods and not killing myself to make a fancy meal every night even though it's something I enjoy. I save that for the days when I am off work.

Looking for any ideas to save time and help me be a calmer, happier wife and mother.
Thanks in advance

tp3

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:38 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....9bfa2
This laundry hamper
It keeps my laundry under control

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:39 pm
Declutter. If it’s not used give away or chuck it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:47 pm
Tips for keeping things organized

#1 is purge. That's the #1 best way to keep organized. It will also make you think twice before bringing something home into the house.

#2, which is really part of #1, is a place for everything, and everything in its place. Either find a place for an item so that you automatically know where to put it and that there's room for it when you see it out of place, otherwise get rid of it.

Reserve 5 minutes each day where you set the timer and just purge and re-set. Because you know that every day, new papers, magazines, prizes arrive and #1 and #2 are important.

There's a nice hotline that you can follow that goes through the house methodically in 15 minutes a day and you maintain the entire home. I remember doing it 10 years ago.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 4:50 pm
Tips for keeping things clean

Using disposable bakeware and plasticware.

Disposable tablecloths. When I get to roll up all the garbage and presto! clean tablecloths, I am very happy.

Drop-ins to the tanks so toilets stay fresher between scrubbing.

Mr Clean Erasers on bathtubs and stovetops when no koach to scrub.

Wipes for kids to wipe down bathrooms each day.

Swiffer wet pads to wash floors.

Everybody helps take off and put linen back on.

Kids fold laundry with folding boards put on some music; it's a fun group activity for the whole family together.

ETA: If you're out of the house during the day, a Roomba will become your best friend (not so if you are home when it's running).

zaq

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:56 pm
Start by having less stuff. And if you can afford it, have all your stuff the same size, style, color.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:05 pm
Super small and random but I love having drawer organizers for my junk drawer. Even though it’s one teeny part of the overall clutter, knowing its organized helps me feel good every time I open it. Similarly, I have organizers for all my drawers in the kitchen (for silverware, with a small one for measuring cups and another long one for spatulas etc)

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:12 pm
Get rid of stuff. Regularly.

Geulanow

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:13 am
Separate towels with name or by color or design for family members.
Write down a menu for a week or two. Buy only ingredients you need. Invest in a freezer if you have space.
Get up a half hour earlier and don't dawdle.
Go through children's clothes at least once every six weeks. Put away those out of season, store away those that don't fit yet and give away or dispose of those that don't fit or they don't like.
Have a positive attitude.

smile11

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:38 am
I found myself behind on weekly chores so I have a list of what I must do every day. I find this the most helpful.
I also bought some gadgets to keep my house organized.

my mama

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 1:25 am
If it takes less than a minute do it now. Throw out that old magazine, wash that dish, close that closet door, hang up the jacket, straighten/put away the shoes.

Keep surfaces clear and doors (cabinets, closets, rooms) closed

A place for everything and everything in its place.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:08 am
Don't put things down unless they're in their place. This cuts down easily on half the clean up.

For example: instead of tossing purse and jacket on the sofa when you wake in, put them away in their designated spot.

Or instead of stacking papers on the side to "sort them later" while you're looking for one - file then or toss them as you go.

gold2

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
Tips for keeping things organized

#1 is purge. That's the #1 best way to keep organized. It will also make you think twice before bringing something home into the house.

#2, which is really part of #1, is a place for everything, and everything in its place. Either find a place for an item so that you automatically know where to put it and that there's room for it when you see it out of place, otherwise get rid of it.

Reserve 5 minutes each day where you set the timer and just purge and re-set. Because you know that every day, new papers, magazines, prizes arrive and #1 and #2 are important.

There's a nice hotline that you can follow that goes through the house methodically in 15 minutes a day and you maintain the entire home. I remember doing it 10 years ago.

Does this hotline still exist? What's it called?

glitter555

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:39 am
I put my laundry on a time. Fill machine at night, set a timer to start a couple of hours before I wake up so in the morning it's ready for the dryer. Evening I take it out, I have a small basket per family member and immediately split into the baskets. Then when we have time we fold basket by basket and put away (it's a family activity lol).

Surrendered

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 7:07 am
Hakol Beseder hotline: 347 772 1188

Akers Habayis hotline also has speakers on home organizing 845 678 8360?

Lists!
A grocery list, an errands list, a daily to do list...

Create a daily routine.
Example: Sunday fold Laundry, Monday iron shirts, Tuesday Appointments, Wednesday Outside arrends, Thursday cook for Shabbos...

Prepare kids clothing, recess, lunch for next day the evening before.

I purchased many foldable/collapseable fabric container baskets, which I use for many things. Clothing for the kids next day, take items up and downstairs (if you got several flights in the house), several kids clothing from laundry to take to their room, organizers in closets...

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 7:18 am
gold2 wrote:
Does this hotline still exist? What's it called?

Hakol B'seder

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 8:20 am
I would imagine that most people who get groceries delivered or use Amazon subscribe and save spend less time running to supermarkets.

maze

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:04 am
smile11 wrote:
I found myself behind on weekly chores so I have a list of what I must do every day. I find this the most helpful.
which gadgets?

Frumme

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 11:11 am
Have scheduled days for chores. Like Sunday is food prep, Monday is laundry day (wash, fold, put away), Thursday is floors, etc.

southernbubby wrote:
I would imagine that most people who get groceries delivered or use Amazon subscribe and save spend less time running to supermarkets.

This plus curbside pickup. WalMart, Publix, BJs, ShopRite all have it, they put the things in your trunk for you and everything (since not every place has delivery)

Window

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 6:07 pm
smile11 wrote:

Which gadgets?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics