Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help did I ruin this shirt? Stain removal question
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 8:38 pm
I walked into a store on Friday and realized I had a chocolate stain on my new white sweatshirt. I was mortified so grabbed a wipe from my handbag, but all I had were anti bacterial hand wipes. I tried removing the stain as much as I could. When I came home I sprayed the stain and washed but the part I had scrubbed with the wipe did not come out. The rest of the stain came out easily. So I sprayed again (oxi clean), let it sit, then soaked overnight in oxi clean. Still no luck. Sweatshirt is solid white, 95% cotton, 5% spandex. Any tips? Can this be saved?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 8:44 pm
Make top wet in a clean sink or tub. Put some Dawn dish soap on the palms of you hands and spread and rub the soap into the staim. Let sit half hour. Brush out stains with a soft cleaning toothbrush. Rinse soap out completely (suds hurt HE washing machines). Check to make sure stain is out, otherwise repeat (you can let it sit overnight if needed, then brush out any leftover stain and rinse out all suds). Then put the wet clothes into the washing machine and wash as usual.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 8:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make clothes wet in a clean sink or tub. Put some Dawn dish soap on the palms of you hands and spread and rub the soap into the stains. Let sit half hour. Brush out stains with a soft cleaning toothbrush. Rinse soap out completely (suds hurt HE washing machines). Check to make sure stain is out, otherwise repeat (you can let it sit overnight if needed, then brush out any leftover stain and rinse out all suds). Then put the wet clothes into the washing machine and wash as usual.

How are you so knowledgeable? Jewish Martha Stewart!😀❤️

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:07 pm
Dish soap is the best kept secret in stain removal!!

Surrendered

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 9:20 pm
When all else fails, I try Well Done- St. Moritz oven cleaner.
It's strong and might ruin it, but to my great luck, it did the trick with the toughest stains (dared to try when it was ready for the garbage).
It works well on yellow stains on baby cloths.

smile11

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:35 pm
Surrendered wrote:
It's strong and might ruin it, but to my great luck, it did the trick with the toughest stains (dared to try when it was ready for the garbage).

good to know I have the toughest stains on my baby cloths

deziner

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:41 pm
Try Folex carpet cleaner (nshei news raves about it)

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 10:42 pm
I also use st moritz on stains
Works like a dream
It’s On my laundry shelf next to the detergent
BTW the key ingredient in Tide is enzymes and Era 3x power has the same enzymes for half the price

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make top wet in a clean sink or tub. Put some Dawn dish soap on the palms of you hands and spread and rub the soap into the staim. Let sit half hour. Brush out stains with a soft cleaning toothbrush. Rinse soap out completely (suds hurt HE washing machines). Check to make sure stain is out, otherwise repeat (you can let it sit overnight if needed, then brush out any leftover stain and rinse out all suds). Then put the wet clothes into the washing machine and wash as usual.

Help it’s not working!

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Help it’s not working!

Let it sit overnight while wet, with the dawn rubbed in.
What is the fabric content? If the fabric is safe for heavy soaking in hot water, it may need a day or two with Oxiclean.
In the meantime, call Clorox (or the wipes company) and ask them what to do if their wipes stained your clothes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:58 pm
Is it a stain or is the fabric discolored? My guess is that the purell type ingredients discolored the fabric.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 3:58 pm
Try soaking in White Brite and Iron Out for an hour. (warm water.)
Rub gently and then wash as usual.
This works for all tzitzis stains as well.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Is it a stain or is the fabric discolored? My guess is that the purell type ingredients discolored the fabric.

No it’s the chocolate stain but somehow the ingredients in the wipes made it permanent. The area around it where I rubbed the wipes is perfectly clean. So the ingredients themselves didn’t discolor they fabric.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No it’s the chocolate stain but somehow the ingredients in the wipes made it permanent. The area around it where I rubbed the wipes is perfectly clean. So the ingredients themselves didn’t discolor they fabric.

If it's chocolate, it needs to sit overnight while wet with the dish soap rubbed in, and then rinsed and left to sit overnight again with more dish soap rubbed in. It should eventually dissolve the chocolate and you'll be able to brush it out with the soft toothbrush.

meme6

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 4:50 pm
Surrendered wrote:

Yup same here

I also now carry the shout stain remover wipes with me they are a miracle saver literally takes a lot of stuff off including makeup

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:57 am
So I’m back with a continuation of the sweatshirt saga. The soap helped a lot and the stains are def fading, but they just won’t go away completely!
Should I use a bleach pen? Anyone try that?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I’m back with a continuation of the sweatshirt saga. The soap helped a lot and the stains are def fading, but they just won’t go away completely!

A bleach pen is very risky.

The next thing I would do it wash it with 6 sheets of Shout color catcher.

Tell me more about the sweatshirt. Are these words on it, appliqués, trim, any other color besides white, what is the fabric content?Depending on the answers, you may be able to do a gentle bleach the whole garment evenly, if all else fails.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I have spent may years writing articles about laundry and cleaning. (No, my house is not tidy...) But, all the methods here have been great--ra_mom is a rock star.

Do not use a bleach pen.

Next, make a 50/50 solution of dish soap and Lestoil, and rub into stain. Flush with water, repeat. You may need to do this for 24-48 hours--that's what it took to get a red wine stain out of a sofa slipcover--but it was worth it.

You might also try soaking in Biz, which you can buy on Amazon, and works better than oxyclean.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:02 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I have spent may years writing articles about laundry and cleaning. (No, my house is not tidy...) But, all the methods here have been great--ra_mom is a rock star.

Do not use a bleach pen.

Next, make a 50/50 solution of dish soap and Lestoil, and rub into stain. Flush with water, repeat. You may need to do this for 24-48 hours--that's what it took to get a red wine stain out of a sofa slipcover--but it was worth it.

You might also try soaking in Biz, which you can buy on Amazon, and works better than oxyclean.

What’s lestoil? Which method would you recommend to try first?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
A bleach pen is very risky.

The next thing I would do it wash it with 6 sheets of Shout color catcher.

Tell me more about the sweatshirt. Are these words on it, appliqués, trim, any other color besides white, what is the fabric content?Depending on the answers, you may be able to do a gentle bleach the whole garment evenly, if all else fails.

Solid white, nothing else. 95 cotton, 5 spandex
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics