Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Old fashioned simple Israeli cake recipes?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 9:53 am
Does anyone have old fashioned Israeli cake recipes they would be willing to share, without margarine? I remember making cakes with relatives in Bnei Brak decades ago that called for simple, cheap ingredients. Would like to try making them again. Thanks!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone have old fashioned Israeli cake recipes they would be willing to share, without margarine? I remember making cakes with relatives in Bnei Brak decades ago that called for simple, cheap ingredients. Would like to try making them again. Thanks!
[b]

Omg. Same! I dream of all the heavenly baked goods. The bars were insane. They were all so easy to make with such simple ingredients. Please share all your recipes. We will thank u now 😋

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:43 am
Look at oogio.net or the Cookie Fairy. Both have wonderful recipes, from simple to stunning, and even the elaborate ones are not too diificult. Of course, there's also Karin Goren - her recipes are generally simple and delicious - I just cut the sugar by 1/3 or 1/2

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 10:47 am
Oogio.net's site is also in English

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:00 pm
Thanks so much for the suggestions but those recipes aren’t the type I’m looking for. They’re heavy on the dairy and not the simple, cheap, easy, parve stuff chareidi families would make for Shabbos decades ago. Anyone know the type I mean? I don’t think I’m explaining it well. Back before cookbooks had glossy photos. Back before women felt pressure to cook gourmet. You would just go into your kitchen and bake a cake, no running to different stores for ingredients and no expectation that eating it would be this life changing event LOL

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:23 pm
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup oil

mix

2,5 cup flour

some salt
baking powder, vanilla

you can add cacao, fruit and or whatever you want

1 hour on 180 C ( don't know Fahrenheit)

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:33 pm
I remember making a similar recipe but with orange juice. Thanks! Please keep them coming!

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 31 2021, 12:34 pm
I think a lot of those cakes didn't necessarily have formal recipes. They were just the kind of thing that people knew how to make. A bit of this, a pinch of that, a handful of the other... the kind where you know what the texture needs to be and how to get it right without consulting a recipe book.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much for the suggestions but those recipes aren’t the type I’m looking for. They’re heavy on the dairy and not the simple, cheap, easy, parve stuff chareidi families would make for Shabbos decades ago. Anyone know the type I mean? I don’t think I’m explaining it well. Back before cookbooks had glossy photos. Back before women felt pressure to cook gourmet. You would just go into your kitchen and bake a cake, no running to different stores for ingredients and no expectation that eating it would be this life changing event LOL

Ate you referring to Leikech? Or to something called ougat mitz tapuzim?

etky

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 3:10 pm
Ugat Kinamon

3/4 c, oil
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
3/4 c, kiddush wine
1 box vanilla pudding (Osem)

Mix these ingredients together well.

Then add 1 1/2 c. self-rising flour and a teaspoon of cinnamon

Pour into greased pan: makes two loaf pans or 1 9x13 and bake for about 45-50 minutes at 350.
Can sprinkle cinnamon sugar and/or chopped nuts on top.
What I like to do with this cake is I don't add the cinnamon to the batter, rather after it is in the pan I sprinkle a nice layer of cinnamon on top of the batter and then mix that into the top only so that it doesn't get down to the bottom half of the cake. It creates a sort of two-layered effect which I like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen