Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What's your favorite cream for eczema?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 7:42 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
What's the other "Way around?" What do those Drs. "Believe" is the cause?

First of all, it's not "doctors ." Its doctors. I heard this idea from two highly respected allergists.

My son's allergist explained it to me like this:
They used to think that allergies cause eczema, but now they say that the eczema causes the allergies. The idea is that a regular person has skin that is not porous. So when someone is first exposed to a food, it goes to the gut first, and the body learns to accept it. But the child with eczema, the skin is porous , and when it is exposed to the food through the skin first, it developes an allergy. This seems to be based in the latest research. (Maybe someone who is in the field can explain it better than me, or you can google it.)

Additionally, most dermatologists are taught that ingesting food allergens does not cause or exacerbate the eczema. They say that there is no connection, except that these three conditions (allergies, eczema and asthma) are often found in the same people , probably due to some underlying reason, but not that one causes the other.

This may seem incredulous to you because you may have heard many mothers say that as soon as they stopped feeding their child certain foods, the eczema disappeared.
My allergist told me that research has found that in about 40% of cases, ingesting the allergen will cause the eczema to worsen (but it will not cause the eczema to begin with. Eczema is a condition or skin disease, something the child is born with.) But for 60%, removing the allergen will not make the eczema go away.

In my son's case, he has been off his allergens for many months and he still has eczema. For the most part its only in certain areas, but he sometimes gets major flareups. That's why my doctor says we need a two-prong approach: stay away from allergens (because they are life threatening), and treat the eczema with creams and wet wraps (because eczema is very uncomfortable and can lead to infection).

I am very careful about the allergens, but get a bit lazy about the skin care at times, and that is when I see flare ups.

Finally, this field (allergies and eczema) is one of the most complicating fields, with so many doctors having different theories and approaches, that it can get very confusing.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 8:02 pm
Vanicream

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 8:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First of all, it's not "doctors ." Its doctors. I heard this idea from two highly respected allergists.
I’m curious which cream they recommended. I personally like the vanicream but my pediatrician recommends cerave.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 8:24 pm
Vanicream mixed with bactroban and hydrocortisone. a few times a day for a few weeks, then taper down, then maintain with just vanicream on it's own. It change our lives. 2 if my kids had terrible eczema and this worked for both of them.

Eczema is a vicious cycle of broken skin, allowing allergens in and bacteria in. You need to heal the skin and rid it from the bacteria. One of my kids got less allergies once her skin healed.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:25 pm
I have really bad eczema and allergies it definitely interacts when I eat sugar for example my eczema goes haywire. I never found a cream that helped me the only thing that I saw results from is I avoid wearing tights when I go outside I try to go out with socks and a long skirt so my eczema which is mostly behind my knees don't sweat which is the worst
It's the most painful thing definitely gets better as you get older

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I’m curious which cream they recommended. I personally like the vanicream but my pediatrician recommends cerave.

My allergist recommended Vanicream for a daily moisturizer.
For the trouble spots, he says to use Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment, except for the face, which he says to use hydrocortisone 2.5 ointment (as needed).

If you ever watch the wet wrap therapy video from the National Jewish Health in Denver, they use Vanicream as well.
If you have never seen this video or don't know about wet wrap therapy, you should look into it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They used to think that allergies cause eczema, but now they say that the eczema causes the allergies. The idea is that a regular person has skin that is not porous. So when someone is first exposed to a food, it goes to the gut first, and the body learns to accept it. But the child with eczema, the skin is porous , and when it is exposed to the food through the skin first, it developes an allergy. This seems to be based in the latest research. (Maybe someone whonis in the field can explain it better than me, or you can google it.)

Additionally, most dermatologists are taught that ingesting food allergens does not cause or exacerbate the excema. They say that there is no connection, except that these three conditions (allergies, eczema and asthma) are often found in the same people , probably due to some underlying reason, but not that one causes the other.

This may seem incredulous to you because you may have heard many mothers say that as soon as they stopped feeding their child certain foods, the eczema disappeared.
My allergist told me that research has found that in about 40% of cases, ingesting the allergen will cause the eczema to worsen (but it will. It cause the eczema to begin with. Eczema is a condition or skin disease.) But for 60%, removing the allergen will not make the eczema go away.

In my son's case, he has been off his allergens for many months and he still has eczema. For the most part its only in certain areas, but he sometimes gets major flareups. That's why my doctor says we need a two-prong approach: stay away from allergens (because they are life threatening), and treat the eczema with creams and wet wraps (because eczema is very uncomfortable and can lead to infection).

I am very careful about the allergens, but get a bit lazy about the skin care at times, and that is when I see flare ups.

Finally, this field (allergies and eczema) is one of the most complicating fields, with so many doctors having different theories and approaches, that it can get very confusing.

Fascinating.
As a todelete and young child my son was constantly dealing with broken skin. We had some fruits that we knew triggered horribly (ie straeberries, pineapple) and food coloring.
Now that he is older and his skin is much more under control he can eat those foods with no issue.
I always assumed he grew out of it. But I’ve realized I understand nothing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:08 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Fascinating.
As a todelete and young child my son was constantly dealing with broken skin. We had some fruits that we knew triggered horribly (ie straeberries, pineapple) and food coloring.
Now that he is older and his skin is much more under control he can eat those foods with no issue.
I always assumed he grew out of it. But I’ve realized I understand nothing.

People do grow out of their allergies. I am sincerely hoping that will happen with my son....right now he has a very limited diet.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:42 pm
The cells of the Th2 immune system are involved secreting “biological chemicals “ that cause eczema. Those cells are also involved in for example asthma. In fact the treatment of eczema and asthma are essentially the same. Both involve steroids and the newer biological injections like Dupixent are used for both. It is somehow self understood that asthma is not necessarily a food sensitivity. It is the same way we need to think about eczema it is the “asthma” inflammation but in the skin.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 1:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They used to think that allergies cause eczema, but now they say that the eczema causes the allergies. The idea is that a regular person has skin that is not porous. So when someone is first exposed to a food, it goes to the gut first, and the body learns to accept it. But the child with eczema, the skin is porous , and when it is exposed to the food through the skin first, it developes an allergy. This seems to be based in the latest research. (Maybe someone who is in the field can explain it better than me, or you can google it.)

Additionally, most dermatologists are taught that ingesting food allergens does not cause or exacerbate the eczema. They say that there is no connection, except that these three conditions (allergies, eczema and asthma) are often found in the same people , probably due to some underlying reason, but not that one causes the other.

My allergist told me that research has found that in about 40% of cases, ingesting the allergen will cause the eczema to worsen (but it will not cause the eczema to begin with. Eczema is a condition or skin disease, something the child is born with.) But for 60%, removing the allergen will not make the eczema go away.

I could've written this exact same post, word for word!
Regarding creams, the cerave healing ointment is the only thing that doesn't make my DS scream and it really makes a difference with the eczema. DS seems to be sensitive/allergic to components in lots of different creams and he doesn't like vanicream but I don't like it either.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:48 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Regarding creams, the cerave healing ointment is the only thing that doesn't make my DS scream and it really makes a difference with the eczema. DS seems to be sensitive/allergic to components in lots of different creams and he doesn't like vanicream but I don't like it either.

Does your son have food allergies ? Also, what about the Vanicream dont you like?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does your son have food allergies ? Also, what about the Vanicream dont you like?

Yes, lots and lots of allergies.
I don't like the consistency of it. And my son hates it too.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

If your son doesn't like the vanicream it's probably because his eczema is very flared now and the skin is broken. It hurts on broken skin. My daughter couldn't handle vanicream. In the beginning we had to do vanicream ointment mixed with steriod and antibiotic cream. As it calmed down we switched to cream based vanicream. Ointment is oily and traps the bacteria in. It actually keeps the eczema cycle going. It is good for initially, because it doesn't hurt.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
The cells of the Th2 immune system are involved secreting “biological chemicals “ that cause eczema. Those cells are also involved in for example asthma. In fact the treatment of eczema and asthma are essentially the same. Both involve steroids and the newer biological injections like Dupixent are used for both. It is somehow self understood that asthma is not necessarily a food sensitivity. It is the same way we need to think about eczema it is the “asthma” inflammation but in the skin.

I am not such an expert in asthma. BH my kids asthma is very mild. But, I hate to hear of medicating with dupixent or oral steriods for eczema. There is a way to keep it under control without messing with their whole immune system. http://www.draron.com/ <This treatment, as I described above ends up being so much less medication going into their system and if you are on top of it, actually helps get rid of so much of the inflammation.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:25 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I have really bad eczema and allergies it definitely interacts when I eat sugar for example my eczema goes haywire. I never found a cream that helped me the only thing that I saw results from is I avoid wearing tights when I go outside I try to go out with socks and a long skirt so my eczema which is mostly behind my knees don't sweat which is the worst
It's the most painful thing definitely gets better as you get older

I agree. When my kids have a flare up, I make sure to only put them on cotton clothing. My daughter wears leggings instead of tights.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
If your son doesn't like the vanicream it's probably because his eczema is very flared now and the skin is broken. It hurts on broken skin. My daughter couldn't handle vanicream. In the beginning we had to do vanicream ointment mixed with steriod and antibiotic cream. As it calmed down we switched to cream based vanicream. Ointment is oily and traps the bacteria in. It actually keeps the eczema cycle going. It is good for initially, because it doesn't hurt.

Interesting.
I havent found that my son has any preference of one cream over another.

I personally dislikes the heavy, thick petroleum like moisturizers like aquafor and Cerave because my hands would get all gooey.

I prefer the vanicream or renew because it is soft and light. The cream goes on faster. The Renew has a nice smell.

But none of those should be good reasons to use the cream..the main reason should be what works best... however, I don't see that one works better than another for my kid. I have tried them all. What

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 1:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting.
I havent found that my son has any preference of one cream over another.

I personally dislikes the heavy, thick petroleum like moisturizers like aquafor and Cerave because my hands would get all gooey.

I prefer the vanicream or renew because it is soft and light. The cream goes on faster. The Renew has a nice smell.

But none of those should be good reasons to use the cream..the main reason should be what works best... however, I don't see that one works better than another for my kid. I have tried them all. What

I don't think creams make that much of a difference if they are basic, non-fragranced, no dyes, non food/allergen based. Problem is you have people putting creams with oats, lanolin, olive oil, sunflower oil on broken skin. It's a great way to create an allergy to said allergen. Or to further irritate the skin if you already have a sensitivity.

I learned the hard way. I also tried many many creams before I found the aron regimen. One of which was a eucerin that had sunflower oil in it. Her reaction was so traumatic. She had to go on serious oral steroids for a while to get rid of it. It was a nightmare. Take a look at the picture if you can handle it https://I.imgur.com/1gYO2HK.jpg

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 2:04 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I don't think creams make that much of a difference if they are basic, non-fragranced, no dyes, non food/allergen based. Problem is you have people putting creams with oats, lanolin, olive oil, sunflower oil on broken skin. It's a great way to create an allergy to said allergen. Or to further irritate the skin if you already have a sensitivity.

I learned the hard way. I also tried many many creams before I found the aron regimen. One of which was a eucerin that had sunflower oil in it. Her reaction was so traumatic. She had to go on serious oral steroids for a while to get rid of it. It was a nightmare. Take a look at the picture if you can handle it https://I.imgur.com/1gYO2HK.jpg

Is that true even of the child is not allergic to said food?
My son eats oats every day. So would applying an oat beased cream give him an allergy to oats?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 2:13 pm
A few of my kids have very occasional quite mild eczema. DD with celiac has it almost constantly behind her knees.

devo1982

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 3:57 pm
Sometimes Vanicream, but my go-to is Curel. My skin can't tolerate Aquaphor and I seem to react to something in Eucerin. Aveeno Sensitive Skin made me break out in hives. I'm also allergic to beeswax and coconut oil in cosmetics, so pay attention to how your skin feels when you use different products.

But the biggest help has been a combined regimen of tools - Protopic to control flares, monteluekast to reduce overall allergic reactiveness and Allegra. There was a period of time pre-pandemic where I also did regular phototherapy to help heal the skin, but B"H I don't need it anymore because it's largely in remission at this point.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics