Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Slow Cooker Peachy Chicken

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 11:27 am
I was in a fix it and forget it mood so out came the slow cooker. This was very good for a slow cooker recipe. The spices and the acidic elements complemented the sweetness of the peach preserves. I did
Trim off the fat from the thighs.

The recipe suggested a spinach sautéed with garlic as the side. I just used a bagged green salad and added some cherry tomatoes.

When I was growing up, there was a recipe that seemed to be *the* recipe that showed up everywhere. It was chicken with a sauce made of a jar of apricot jam, a bottle of Russian dressing and a package of dried soup mix. 😱😂😂 When I started collecting old cookbooks, that recipe showed up in every community type of cookbook from Junior League compilations to modest church type of pamphlets.

SLOW COOKER PEACHY CHICKEN

Excerpt From: The Chew: Winter Flavors

SERVES 6 TO 8
Skill Level: EASY
Cook Time: 6–8 hrs.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cost: $

If I had to pick my favorite type of cuisine, it would either be Mexican, Persian, or Moroccan food, because I love adding sweetness and spice to the same meal. It awakens the palate in a totally different way. This dish always makes me think of a Moroccan tagine, the way it mixes chicken, peaches, and even a little apricot jam, plus a whole lot of vegetables. You put all the fruits and veggies and seasonings in your slow cooker, then place the chicken on top with a little broth or apple cider. Turn on the cooker. Go to work. Come home at the end of the day, and you have this succulent, sweet, hot, aromatic chicken that has been slowly burbling and steaming all day. If you are looking for minimal work, minimal calories, and super high flavor, these kinds of slow cooker dishes fit the bill.

FOR THE CHICKEN:

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt
Pepper
3 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup peach preserves
1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

TO MAKE THE CHICKEN:

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.

2. Put the cubed sweet potatoes and onions into the slow cooker and top with the seasoned chicken.

3. Mix together the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, chicken stock, and peach preserves, then pour over the chicken.

4. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, ginger, curry powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.

5. Cook on low for 6–8 hours, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are fork-tender.

Less than you think

When you are translating one of your favorite recipes into a slow cooker version, remember it takes less liquid because no steam escapes and any fruits or vegetables will also give up their water. My rule of thumb is about a third less liquid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey