Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Age for Make-up and Eyebrow tweezing
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

hardwrknmom

Post Fri, Oct 07 2005, 10:28 am
Motek- Maybe its something that bothers girls when their eyebrows are a unibrow! They are self confident about it.
Why does it bother you ??
And how would one notice the eyebrow tweezing?
Maybe girls just have perfect eyebrows?

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 12:33 pm
hardwrknmom wrote:
Motek- Maybe its something that bothers girls when their eyebrows are a unibrow!

in that case, I would say it should be fixed with electrolysis even when she's much younger, but in my many decades on this planet, I haven't noticed this problem too often. It's quite rare.

Quote:
And how would one notice the eyebrow tweezing?

because, in my opinion, waaaay too many girls and women ruin their eyebrows, making it quite obvious that it's not natural

as lucky wrote:

Quote:
It is alright for a gorl to tweeze her eyebrows so they don't look like bushy unibrows.I feel a 13 yr old is too young for very arched (unnatural looking) eyebrows.

I agree with the unibrow point but I'll go a step beyond and say I think NO AGE looks good with sparse, unnatural eyebrows. Are the ones who do this when they're young, the ones who are drawing eyebrows on their face when they're older because they have no natural eyebrows anymore? Confused

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 12:41 pm
Quote:
when they're young, the ones who are drawing eyebrows on their face when they're older because they have no natural eyebrows anymore
?
Motek it's b/c they prob got rid of them but most people nowadays even after years of plucking still have eyebrows at 120 yrs Wink
And yep I plucked both very thin high arched and now more natural and ka"h I have no problem w/h the hair growing back and I'm not a spring chicken anymore Confused

carrot

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 2:00 pm
Motek wrote:
hardwrknmom wrote:
Motek- Maybe its something that bothers girls when their eyebrows are a unibrow!

in that case, I would say it should be fixed with electrolysis even when she's much younger, but in my many decades on this planet, I haven't noticed this problem too often. It's quite rare.

maybe you haven't noticed it because people take care of it? Wink (sorry, couldn't resist.)

there is a middle ground between having perfect eyebrows and a unibrow, you know. how can you say only those with a real unibrow should be able to fix it while those who just have a few hairs growing in between must keep them till shidduch age? sorry, motek, maybe what you mean is that it should be ok to pluck the hairs in between but not to shape the eyebrows into thin dramatic arches? (which you don't think should be done at shidduch age, either..?)

I think the question is whether plucking (or electrolysis or shaving) is part of regular grooming or not. if it is, why shouldn't a girl be allowed to do it as soon as she becomes aware of it?

jewgal84

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 2:43 pm
I dont think there has to be a specific age and I agree with carrot, that there is a diff in cleaning and reshaping.

Cleaning can start as young as a girl feels she shoudl due to self esteem ie the unibrow 12-13+, and dramatic, let it be up to the mother if shes willing to have her daughter change her feautures, I'd say it can work when shes 17 +.

All above is just MHO Very Happy

isrl74

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 3:01 pm
Whatever you decide for you daughter, whatever age it is, I would advise that if she needs help you might help her out.
I remember when I was in 9th grade, I didn't feel comferable in class 'cause everyone were shaving. I had blond hairs and didn't need it.
I knew though that other mothers would buy their girls shavers and shaving cream and might show them how it works.

When I spoke to my mother and told her I want to shave, she just said "you don't need to". So I told her I wanted to and she just said "so do" and didn't help me get a shaver or anything. And I felt really bad that I didn't have a big sister to help me out.
When my sister wanted to shave I helped her out and she was lucky she had an older sister.

I never had a good relationship with my mom because that is the type of way she brought me up, I didn't even tell her when I got my period later on.

It's important for all of you to develope friendly, close relationships with your daughters.

Rachel

imaamy

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 3:26 pm
Freilich, from the spirit that comes thru your posts, you certainly seem like a spring chicken!!! Very Happy

happymom

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 6:30 pm
When girls have bushy eyebrows that need to be plucked it looks gross... I had bushy eyebrows and my mother took me to get them waxed in eighth grade and I looked alot better! same with my sister.. in highschool, most girls tweeze... its considered "neby" not to if you look like you should. IT sort of like shaving if your in ninth grade or even eight and are wearing a short skirt with hairy legs it looks gross! same thing.

makeup is different... you don't look bad without makeup just prettier with. its the normal thing to not wear makeup till older... id put shaving/tweezing/deodorant in the same category.. when u get a little older, you do it!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 12:07 am
waiting for shidduch age to learn to care for yourself(shave/pluck/wax) seems kind of late to me. girls should be used to it so that when they are a bit older it comes easy and natural for them. (this is coming from one who just started waxing face less than a year ago- forget shaving- bh for thin hair on body. and makeup? I forget to put it on for weddings!!!) embarrassed

my girls are 14 & 17 and both get waxed-when they feel they need it. okay, so it helps that a friend who is in the 'business' moved to town and got us all going. LOL

shanie5

chen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 3:05 am
My electrologist said she would not do a girl younger than 16 --not sure exactly why but it may have had something to do with the fact tht they are still growing.

if a girl with noticeable hair on her legs is wearing sheer hose on shabbos she should shave. otoh, a girl younger than 14 or so should not be wearing sheer hose.

I would not encourage tweezing eyebrows just stam, but if a girl in HS has very wild, bushy brows or a unibrow and feels self-conscious about it, certainly she should tweeze them into a more acceptable shape if she's willing to put up with the pain.

The other day I noticed that my dtrs eyelashes looked darker than I remembered their being. not black-black, but just darker than I remember. I'm not going to say a word. she's putting on only a little makeup, only now and then, and she is a senior in high school. certainly the time to start learning is not when she's already going on shidduchim. Much as I'd like her to remain a little girl forever, there is nothing wrong with a HS senior wearing light makeup. "Light" being the operative word here:if her father can tell she's wearing it, it's too much. A little blush in winter so she doesn't look like a corpse; a little mascara if her eyelashes are invisible. I'd approve medicated acne coverup at any age.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 11 2006, 8:05 pm
Even the most chassidishe girls can wear clean nail polish and lipgloss. Anyting more than that has to be carefully though out.

ektsm

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:31 am
I think that it depends upon the mother as to when a girl does this stuff. I mean if she doesn't start until age 20 there is a problem. But if that's a decision every mother has to make.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:36 am
my daughter is a 6th grader and I have already started to shape her eyebrows. she made several comments about her unibrow and I decided that if she is paying attention to it, then it's the right time for me to do something about it. of course this doesnt apply to all aspects of child raising, but in my opinion this is a small gesture that goes a long way in fostering mom-daughter relationship cuz it shows that I respect her as a human being and as an almost-woman.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 11:11 am
Man, growing up in Virginia in the 70's, we didn't have all this.........

amother

Post Tue, May 23 2006, 3:06 pm
Quote:
why are you differentiating between tweezing/shaving and make-up? why not all of it when one is shidduch age?

Listen, Motek. I plucked at 12 b/c I had a unibrow and it made me miserable. Yes, I did a terrible job and I wish my mother had taken me somewhere professional. I did not wear make up until 18 - 19. There is a big difference. Tweezing just made me feel normal.

chen

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 9:37 am
[quote="amother I had a unibrow and it made me miserable. Tweezing just made me feel normal.[/quote]

If a physical feature makes a girl truly miserable to the point that it is interfering with her life, and there is a safe means of correcting or concealing it, age should not be a deterrent. Within reason, of course--I do not advocate cosmetic surgery for a child who is still growing, no matter how misshapen her nose (and no reputable surgeon would agree to such a thing, anyhow). E.g. if a child had a large birthmark on her face, I see nothing wrong with covering up with makeup even in the early grades, if it makes her terribly self-conscious or if she is getting grief from people because of it. I would, however, wait for the child to make mention of it. If a child has a physical feature that is distressing to me, but of which she is oblivious, I'd keep my own counsel. No point giving her a complex unnecessarily.

amother

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 9:53 am
I was in 8th grade at a shabbaton when a girl asked me why I didn't shave. I loked down & saw tons of hair poking thru my thick, black opaque tights (think of an overgrown lawn). it was disgusting! I never noticed because I guess I was oblivious to that stuff- I just wasn't aware. But when the girl pointed it out to me oh how I wished s/o in family would have bought me a shaver & told me to use it!!! Very Happy now I can laugh at it but then I was embarrassed

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 10:01 am
One of my daughters hated camp at the age of 13 because a group of girls had leg shaving parties where each girl put her foot in the sink at the same time and they all shaved.
One daughter was really into makeup and I didn't like the look so I took her to Sephora to have it re-done until we were both satisfied. I had to buy the stuff, though.
We get our eyebrows waxed if we have a simcha but ordinarily I am too frugal to go the beauty parlor.

BrachaC

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 10:42 am
I am one of those oldest girls who had to convince her mother that shaping your eyebrows was a good thing, borrow a shaver from someone in camp in 9th grade...and I matured very early on also. I remember after tweezing for years my mother went for a makeover and the woman did her eyebrows. She was a reformed woman, and we don't pick up the tweezers except for a little maintenance here and there! Please mothers of tweens- notice these things, and help your daughters out. It's not worth the teasing that they will get in school. Now that I am a mother I see how hard it is for us to let our little girls grow up, but that is OUR issue NOT theirs!

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 10:48 am
Motek wrote:
what age do you think is appropriate for a girl to wear make up on a regular basis (not for a special occasion) and to pluck her eyebrows?

For make up, my husband and I agreed that our future daughters wouldn't wear light/invisible make up under 16 (maybe a bit "heavier" for an occasion although at 16 I don't see the point and it can very quickly look trashy), and "visible" make up under 18. It may seem harsh, but what's the point of make up at such young age?

I don't see why a girl needs make up for bas mitsvo ("because others do"" is not a valid reason), she's just a very young teen, doesn't have to "seduce" anyone c'v and most of the time it will look unnatural and unpretty on such a young girl...

As for shaving, I would say they don't need it until the hair becomes really noticeable (unless it doesn't bother them). Eyebrow plucking I would say not before 16 and only if the "natural" ones are ugly, not to look more sophisticated. Now, if there's a real problem (unibrow), it's something else and age wouldn't matter.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children