Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help me get her to stop waking at 5am!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 6:32 am
DD is a bright 2yo who has started waking up around 5am. We have a 3 month old who is not a good sleeper at night or by day, we canNOT be getting up at 5am. It's winter by us, it's not the sunlight waking her... She has a tiny bit of light in her room from a lamp which she won't sleep without. She has toys in her cot that she can play with, but chooses to call for me instead.

How do you explain to a 2yo that it's not time to get up when she insists she wants to play Can't Believe It ?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 6:36 am
Make her bedtime 2 hours later, she can wake up at 7am.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 6:37 am
That has never worked with her unfortunately Sad She went to sleep 2 hours later than usual yesterday and was calling for me before 5:30 this morning.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:00 am
Only thing that has worked for us to move wake up is to drop a nap. Debatable if it’s worth it.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:08 am
I cut my daughter's nap to only 45 mins. She used to nap for 2/2.5 hours and gave me a really hard time at night and never woke up past 6. She's now asleep at 7 am and only woke up once last night! Yay!
You can't really explain not to wake up early unless you use one of those clocks

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:22 am
Have you tried using something like a traffic light clock?

Beingreal

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:25 am
I second the traffic light clocks. I have them for all my kids and it works! It also teaches them about colors.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:36 am
Its her body clock. Don't mess with it. Just adjust your sleeping time

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:58 am
Been there. The only thing that worked for us is to wake her at 3am this week help adjust her sleep cycle. She's doesn't need to wake up properly but just disturb her sleep. Nothing else works.

questionanswer

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That has never worked with her unfortunately Sad She went to sleep 2 hours later than usual yesterday and was calling for me before 5:30 this morning.

A one time late night will often not do anything and will certainly not help long term. Plus, overtired babies are hard to train.

To move bedtime and wake time you need to delay bed time by 20 minutes over a period of weeks. So delay 20 minutes for 4 to 5 days, then another 20 and so on.

Still might not work....some kids just like the morning.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:13 am
What is her schedule?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics