Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Coach forces Jewish student to eat pork

DallasIma

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:00 pm
Beyond awful.
https://www.cleveland19.com/20.....tice/

finprof

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:07 pm
I agree it is horrible, but at least they call him Jewish! This is the article I read about it: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u.....69388
It certainly does not lessen the severity of the issue but I'll admit that I did chuckle at the wording.

srbmom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:08 pm
This is horrible on so many levels.
Hope the kid makes lots of money on this and still gets his full scholarship offers

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:13 pm
OMG. Freedom of religion, where are you?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:16 pm
So crazy. And what kind of punishment is that anyway? Insane.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
So crazy. And what kind of punishment is that anyway? Insane.

Bullying

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:28 pm
finprof wrote:
I agree it is horrible, but at least they call him Jewish! This is the article I read about it: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u.....69388
It certainly does not lessen the severity of the issue but I'll admit that I did chuckle at the wording.

Well, was he a Hebrew Israelite, or was he a Jew? "Hebrew Israelites" do exist. The attorney says he doesn't eat pork, not that he keeps kosher.

Reprehensible in any case.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:58 pm
My mouth dropped open. This is absolutely horrible.

number

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:06 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Well, was he a Hebrew Israelite, or was he a Jew? "Hebrew Israelites" do exist. The attorney says he doesn't eat pork, not that he keeps kosher.

Reprehensible in any case.
I looked it up and my guess is Hebrew Israelite. This is the only video I found though. And the news reports all contradict each other.

exaustedmom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:33 pm
1imagine the outrageous and riots had they forced a Muslim student to eat pork...

jerusalem90

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:37 pm
Even if it's a reform kid who eats pork when *he* wants to, it's still inappropriate.

devo1982

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:57 pm
It's a horrific abuse of power even without the religious/dietary aspect entering into the discussion. It is completely inappropriate for adults in a position of power to shame and bully a child in front of their peers and force them to eat food as punishment. To then add in forcing them to eat food that goes against their religious beliefs is beyond the pale. The coaches need to be fired and the district deserves to be sued.

Persevere

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 11:02 pm
"Attorney Ed Gilbert said Tuesday that the teen and his family are Hebrew Israelites and do not eat pork.

The teen, who skipped a voluntary workout four days earlier while nursing a sore shoulder, was ordered to sit in the middle of the gym and eat an entire pepperoni pizza, Gilbert said. He was allowed to remove the pepperoni and some of the cheese, but pork residue remained, Gilbert said."

This is from the link above and says Hebrew Israelite. Reminds me of Professor Trunchbull in Matilda... Who forces someone to eat an entire pepperoni pizza? This is messed up on so many different levels.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 5:13 pm
The coach should be drawn and quartered after being forced to drink a gallon of his own urine.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:37 pm
That's absolutely insane. The fact that child abuse can happen like that in public...no words.

fmt4

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:06 pm
finprof wrote:

Why did you chuckle? He is a Hebrew Israelite it seems, not Jewish.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:46 pm
Respect people’s religion. Is it that hard?!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 10:50 pm
Forcing a Hindu to eat beef is just as bad, or forcing a Muslim to eat during the day when it's Ramadan. Can you imagine forcing the Dalai Lama to eat any kind of meat? He wouldn't even step on an ant!

I don't care if this guy belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and he refuses to eat pasta. Respect is respect. Nobody is forcing you to agree with someone's religion or dietary restrictions, but that doesn't give you permission to use someone's beliefs as a form of punishment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics