Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Here's a Game
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 11:40 pm
Not under games because maybe responders would rather be anon. Also I apologize if non-US members don't find this interesting...

You can't play unless you promise to close the computer & try this for real, k? )If I get really bored I might chart the responses : )

Well I was doing a crossword puzzle (clue was 3 contiguous US states start with...) so I decided to jot down a list of all the states I could think of.

I am curious how many most ladies can think of, and if it's age dependent. So please write how many you were able to remember, and your age range (within five years e.g. 20-25, 26-30 etc.

I am in the 60-65 YO range, so I was pleased to find I could think of 48! (Not the lower 48 either...) I was missing two when I finally decided to check up. But I think the other two might have come to me eventually.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 4:58 am
We learned it in a song form in younger grades so would probably be able to get all

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 5:35 am
I got stuck even with song, and only got 48.
Well it's about 35 yrs since we learned that song & in middle of the night.

Last edited by dankbar on Thu, Jun 03 2021, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 6:55 am
I know them all there was a song with them in alphabetical order when I was in 5th grade and I remember them all

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 1:45 pm
Dankbar, please hide those states!

Hidden: 

I missed Nebraska and Utah. I was thinking, there's s/t else near Nevada & New Mexico, it just wasn't coming to me.

Oh well, I thought it would be a fun idea. So far not much interest. I wonder if everyone learned that song. I don't think I did. Was it in 6th grade? Because that would explain it (I skipped 6th grade). Oh whoops, I see SingleAgain you said 5th. But maybe some schools do it in 6th?

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 3:08 pm
We did in alphabetical order song in 4th grade. In 5th we did song as per map location together with the capital

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 3:10 pm
Anyone ever hear this song

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 4:23 pm
im hopeless when it comes to knowing where is what. I know the names but I would never pass a quiz where I would need to fill in a map

penguin

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 5:46 pm
Quote:
I'm hopeless when it comes to knowing where is what.
I have a pretty good general idea of many... but I certainly couldn't place them all.

at some point we taught the kids all the capitols for a game in the car. But while they could tell you which state's capitol is X or what's the capitol of Y, I don't believe any of my kids ever memorized all the 50 states for school.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:31 pm
I learned the states in 3rd grade and can still fill out a blank map of the United States. However, third grade was only 12 years ago for me...
Should I list them all in order of the map?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:08 pm
We learned the state name song (and a lot of the world's countries) in Pre-1A! And thanks to the wonderful Morah Rivka, I remembered a full 48 states. The last two took a little cheating LOL

I missed
Hidden: 

Connecticut (I always have a mental block against that one, for some reason)
and
Oklahoma

GLUE

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:16 pm
I just tested my son the whole year on the state,capitals, and abb. so I am a know it all(tried to put the icon of tongue sticking out,did not work)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:11 pm
Quote:
I just tested my son the whole year on the state,capitals, and abb. so I am a know it all
Ah, I should have realized that there would be Moms here who'd have done that pretty recently.

So maybe I should ask to move this to the Over 50 forum. I guess what I'm curious about is how much of that knowledge stays into later years. Of course if you do crossword puzzles you're always working on retrieving old knowledge...

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:18 pm
Can someone see if I got all 50?
Hidden: 

Washington
Oregon
California
Idaho
Nevada
Utah
Arizona
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Wisconsin
Michigan
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Alaska
Hawaii

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:37 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Can someone see if I got all 50?
Hidden: 

Washington
Oregon
California
Idaho
Nevada
Utah
Arizona
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Wisconsin
Michigan
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Alaska
Hawaii

You did not write it in alphabetical order so I cheated..( because I only know them in alphabetical order and I was not going up and down searching) copied your answer and posted it to a word counting site counted 60 deleted all of those double name states and congratulations you got all 50 states

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:38 pm
singleagain wrote:
You did not write it in alphabetical order so I cheated..( because I only know them in alphabetical order and I was not going up and down searching) copied your answer and posted it to a word counting site counted 60 deleted all of those double name states and congratulations you got all 50 states

If you take a map you'll see it goes in order. This is how I learned it in 3rd grade. We filled out blank maps.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:47 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
If you take a map you'll see it goes in order. This is how I learned it in 3rd grade. We filled out blank maps.

That makes sense... I learned it alphabetical. But I'm 99% sure I could fill out a blank map as well

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 5:17 pm
singleagain wrote:
That makes sense... I learned it alphabetical. But I'm 99% sure I could fill out a blank map as well

Challenge? 😜

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 5:43 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Challenge? 😜

Find me a map

moonstone

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 1:50 pm
Why would anyone want to be anonymous for this?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics