Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you add soup mix to your chicken soup?
1  2  3  4  Next

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:14 am
I don’t. I like it to be natural. I’ve gotten lots of compliments on my soup. I use lots of vegetables and chicken plus bones. The right amount of salt and pepper makes the soup good imo.

One of my kids went away for shabbos and came home talking about how good the soup was. I’ve been hearing about it all week. I called the woman who made the soup and she said she uses soup mix. Is this what most people do?
Any other way to spice it up? ( I cook an onion in the soup which add a lot )

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:15 am
I don't add soup mix. I add a piece of garlic as well.

scruffy

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:17 am
I don't use soup mix either.

I put in onion, garlic, and sometimes leeks for flavor.

I think the key to good flavor is cooking it for a long time (four hours or so). The flavor gets deeper and more complex.

Teomima

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:18 am
I don't use soup mix for anything. Extra salt, especially flavored salts (celery salt, garlic salt, etc) is just a good, if not better.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:20 am
lkwdlady wrote:
I don’t. I like it to be natural. I’ve gotten lots of compliments on my soup. I use lots of vegetables and chicken plus bones. The right amount of salt and pepper makes the soup good imo.

One of my kids went away for shabbos and came home talking about how good the soup was. I’ve been hearing about it all week. I called the woman who made the soup and she said she uses soup mix. Is this what most people do?

I don’t out any spices at all in my soup. I put water, chicken thighs, gizzards (pupiks), zucchini, and yellow squash, and carrots and onion and celery if I remember.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:21 am
Teomima wrote:
I don't use soup mix for anything. Extra salt, especially flavored salts (celery salt, garlic salt, etc) is just a good, if not better.

I don’t think they sell kosher vegetable salts here. I wonder why not? It would be interesting to try. I do put in enough salt as it is...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:21 am
lkwdlady wrote:

Add a head of garlic to an 8 quart pot. Use lots of vegetables that impart golden flavor. A bundle of fresh dill. And enough salt. That's it.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jun 03 2021, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:22 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I don't add soup mix. I add a piece of garlic as well.

I don’t put garlic. Maybe I should? I don’t have fresh garlic. Do you think I can use frozen garlic cubes? How many?

scruffy

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:23 am
lkwdlady wrote:
I don’t put garlic. Maybe I should? I don’t have fresh garlic. Do you think I can use frozen garlic cubes? How many?

I don't think crushed cubes would work.

raich

Why adulterate an amazing and super healthy product with artificial flavors and chemicals??

The more veggies the better. I also like to put in fresh (Bodek-style) herbs like parsley and dill in a mesh bag so it doesn't get all floaty around the soup. If you cook it for 6+ hours it will taste divine!

SuperWify

I add fresh garlic, tomato, beet, onion and parsley and I out it in a mesh bag. I toss before serving. It adds tons of flavor.

Teomima

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:24 am
lkwdlady wrote:
I don’t think they sell kosher vegetable salts here. I wonder why not? It would be interesting to try. I do put in enough salt as it is...

I'm in Israel so kosher flavored salts is no problem. But even so my garlic salt is literally large grains of salt and dried garlic in a grinder. The celery salt is fine salt and powdered dried celery. I have a seaweed salt that's just coarse salt and dried seaweed in a grinder. No additives for any of them. Pretty easy to make your own for all of these and more.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:27 am
lkwdlady wrote:
I wouldn't use crushed because the garlic will spread all over and the garlic itself does not taste good. It just gives a good taste to the soup.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:30 am
Your one son might like the artificial flavor, but the rest of your family probably wouldn’t.
My mom puts in soup mix, I don’t! Most of my brothers prefer my soup.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:33 am
Add a kalichel (then use it for pulled beef) and or some sweet potatoes for richer flavor.

Persevere

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:35 am
I do a lot of the above, but my ultimate trick is butternut squash for color and flavor. I roast a whole butternut squash, remove seeds, and add to soup

ferb613

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:35 am
I use celery root which gives a ton of flavor

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:36 am
lkwdlady wrote:

Don't use crushed it will cloud your soup.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:36 am
Btw for those who don’t know beets add an awesome golden,(yes golden) color to chicken soup. (When it cools down the reddish tinge is there, but when warm it golden and lovely! ) worth a try.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:41 am
My soup really tastes good! I just wanted to know how to get that spicy flavor without the soup mix.
I use parsnips, carrots, turnip, celery, onion and lots of chicken and bones.
I don’t need to use anything for color because it always looks like a rich chicken soup. Was just looking for a flavor idea. Thanks for telling me not to put in a garlic cube! I was almost about to! I’m surprised that the garlic cube doesn’t dissolve.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics