Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you add soup mix to your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Pink Flamingo

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 4:58 pm
I dont use soup mix. This is my recipe:

Carrot
Parsnip
Turnip
Sweet potato
Red potato
Celery or celery root
Zucchini
Parsley root (sometimes)
Butternut squash (if I have a piece available, I wont buy a whole one just for soup)
Fresh dill and parsley
Whole onion and garlic cloves
Chicken bones (no one eats the chicken so I started using bones instead)

I dont have much room left for water lol

Everything goes in net bags so the soup is clear although it ends up a dark color from all the veggies

Salt and pepper

If I have time I make matzah balls in the soup

I let it simmer for a long time

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 11:38 pm
This thread is making me crave chicken soup.

I first boil a net bag of chicken bones and turkey neck, then skim the guck anf add the veggies:
About 6 carrots
4 zuchinni
Onion
Celery root
A few stalks of celery
Parsnip
Fresh dill and fresh parsley
A small piece of ginger
I season with salt, black pepper, and a bit of red pepper flakes for some kick. I’ve never made matzah balls but sometimes I’ll cook luckshen directly in the soup (the wide brown rice noodles work nicely; I add them when I reheat the soup right before shabbos).

saltandvinegar

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 12:00 am
should I boil the chicken in the water alone first then dump out the water bc it gets greasy? then refill pot with chicken, veggies, salt and let it simmer?

losingweight

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 1:03 am
you don't have to. When the soup gets cold in the fridge, the fat congeals on the top and you can skim it off.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 2:30 am
lemondrop wrote:
should I boil the chicken in the water alone first then dump out the water bc it gets greasy? then refill pot with chicken, veggies, salt and let it simmer?

First cook just the chicken on medium flame for about 30 minutes - skim off all the gray gook.

Then add the soup vegetables.

I first put in the chicken in the pot, then peel the soup veggies.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 4:30 am
watergirl wrote:
It was funny until she asked me to make a massive pot of it to serve at an already very awkward shabbos dinner the shabbos of one of my stepson's bat mitzvahs, and as people complimented her, she ACCEPTED THE PRAISE for MY SOUP (and matza balls, gefilte fish, and dessert, and then packed up leftovers for her now second ex's husband's family to take back home with them!). I am still annoyed about that!

Oh my gosh, sounds like a lovely woman.

gama

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:29 am
I used to in the past when making my chicken soup on the stove top in a pot. Had no choice because no matter how much chicken, vegetables or spiced I put in (and I put in a lot of all three), I always had to add some chicken soup mix or it would not have that chicken soup taste. However, for the last couple of years, I have been making my soup in an Instant Pot (pressure cooker). Since then, I no longer have to add chicken soup mix. Soup comes out amazing each time (and saves tons of time too).

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:39 am
Update-
While my soup was cooking and I was reading everyone’s ideas I decided to do what watergirl does and added a little onion powder and garlic powder. I never used spices before in my soup/ only salt and pepper and lots of fresh vegetables and chicken/bones.
It seems that the little onion and garlic powder I added gave the soup that “kick” and it had a similar taste to the soup mix without actually using it.
Watergirl said she uses lots of onion powder and garlic powder. I used very little since I was ‘proceeding with caution‘ - didn’t want to ruin my already very good soup . It really tastes delicious this week so I might be doing this all the time now. Let’s see what my kids say tonight 😉.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 10:44 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Update-
While my soup was cooking and I was reading everyone’s ideas I decided to do what watergirl does and added a little onion powder and garlic powder. I never used spices before in my soup/ only salt and pepper and lots of fresh vegetables and chicken/bones.
It seems that the little onion and garlic powder I added gave the soup that “kick” and it had a similar taste to the soup mix without actually using it.
Watergirl said she uses lots of onion powder and garlic powder. I used very little since I was ‘proceeding with caution‘ - didn’t want to ruin my already very good soup . It really tastes delicious this week so I might be doing this all the time now. Let’s see what my kids say tonight 😉.

I'm glad you like it!! It's funny. My mother in law knows very little halacha but she loves to quote what she thinks she knows. The first time she saw me make my soup, which she loves, she commented that she learned a man can divorce his wife for over salting/seasoning the food. Yet she loves it!

I have never measured how much onion and garlic powder I put in, but with the spice bottle, I would say I shake it over the pot in a way that covers all of the water and do 3 passes of it. Does that make sense? I put in a good amount.

Let me know if your kids like it! I'm so glad to hear you do!

Goldengrl327

Post Mon, Apr 11 2022, 1:46 pm
watergirl wrote:
Nope. I put:

A whole chicken left whole.
A lb of carrots (cut into rings)
A few stalks celery (cut into half moons)
A whole onion left whole
A whole sweet potato left whole (not served)
Salt, onion powder, garlic powder (a lot of each)
Bring to boil, lower to simmer, leave on the stove all the live long day.

My soup is my signature dish, which sounds weird but even my husband's ex who hates me and everything about me broke down and called me for the "recipe" because my step kids love it. It's clear, rich, and omg so good.

If I am short on time, short on cash, or sick in the middle of the week, I make soup in my IP with just chicken bones and then I put:
some carrots, an onion and sweet potato in large chunks, a zucchini in large chunks, and dill, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. I change it up a bit to differentiate IP vs. stove top soup. This is also OMG SO GOOD.

I just put up a post asking for tips for chicken soup. I love your recipe for its simplicity. Just curious, what size pot do you use?

mommy12

Post Mon, Apr 11 2022, 4:17 pm
I use it.

I also add salt, pepper, minced garlic, dill, and parsley. My kids love it, and guests are always complimenting me on the soup (including someone who said he was only coming again if I had the soup!). Besides chicken, I also put in onion, carrots, celery, parsnip, and zucchini.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics