Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Has anyone gone from smart phone to flip/dumb phone?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 9:58 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
It broke a few weeks after I got it from a small fall. I can still use it, but the screen has lines on it that make it annoying to use. Every time it falls, it breaks a little more. As far as I know there are no compatible cases for it to protect. My speakerphone doesn't work.... It's only a few months old. But with it all, I still like this phone over others bc of the qwerty keyboard.

When I bought mine in February, there werent any compatible cases/screen protectors available. If you look in the website, now there are.
Also, my phone broke (my fault). I bought a new one from the website and sent back the old one. They refunded me $125, so its like I paid $75 for tHe new phone.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 11:40 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
I disabled my smartphone and got a flip phone to get my daughter into a school...
I really like it.
My smartphone works however on wifi, so at home I can check whatsapp and use the internet. It has a lock, so my kids cant open it. When I am out, no access. (I could go back without the school knowing, but I actually like it better this way)
so you stopped your data plan but it works with Wi-Fi? Curious why the school lets.

mirib

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:23 pm
I have a smart phone and a flip. I set up my calls to be forwarded to flip phone and download a message forwarding app and my smart phone is only used at work for work once you get home it in my bag or in the bedroom (I believe for call forwarding you need to leave the phone on)

Rubies

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:31 pm
mirib wrote:
I have a smart phone and a flip. I set up my calls to be forwarded to flip phone and download a message forwarding app and my smart phone is only used at work for work once you get home it in my bag or in the bedroom (I believe for call forwarding you need to leave the phone on)

So your flip technically has its own number and service?

mirib

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:34 pm
Rubies wrote:
So your flip technically has its own number and service?
yes a cheap talk and text plan

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 11 2022, 10:57 pm
Which one is best? What are pros and cons of each? Looking to do the same

ProudMommy3

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 6:01 pm
Bump.

lemon1

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:03 am
So anyone has tips that did this recently?

newinbp

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:41 am
mirib wrote:

Hi, this may be a good option for me. Is the call forwarding pretty reliable, cuz I'm assuming most ppl have your "old" phone number, the one of your smartphone? You pay for 2 phone plans then? Are you ever tempted to just shlep 2 phones with you/keep two phones on you always since they both technically work?
Like I'd be afraid I'd default to shlepping both Sad

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:57 am
mirib wrote:

When you call or text back from the flip phone doesn't it come from the flip phone number that no one recognizes? This is the part I'm trying to figure out how to get around.

newinbp

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:08 pm
Bump - anyone took the plunge for tishrei? Wondering if I can swing it!!

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 10:03 am
newinbp wrote:

I haven’t , yet.
But just want to applaud you. Hatzlacha! I hope to join you …..

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 10:06 am
newinbp wrote:

Yes! Got the Qin F30 a few weeks ago.

I'm really enjoying it! I don't feel like a slave to my phone anymore and my kids are also benefitting. Whenever I'd pull out my smartphone in front of them they'd start whining and wanting to use it (not even to watch, just to touch!!). Now with my more basic phone, that has stopped.

Life's good!

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 10:20 am
amother Peony wrote:

I'm really enjoying it! I don't feel like a slave to my phone anymore and my kids are also benefitting. Whenever I'd pull out my smartphone in front of them they'd start whining and wanting to use it (not even to watch, just to touch!!). Now with my more basic phone, that has stopped.

Life's good!
Hooray Applause

InnerPrincess

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 10:24 am
amother OP wrote:
I really really want to give up my smartphone. I don't enjoy the constant on call etc. I've already deleted most apps but I want to cut back even more.
It's not even a hashjafa thing. I don't want that lifestyle.

The thing is, I've had a smart phone for 10 years now and practically I don't know how to go backward. I use it for work, music, gps. I want to know how to learn not to rely on my phone anymore and how people do it. Specifically people who HAD phones and now don't.

I really want to do it but I would love some tips.
Have you done it?
How?
Any tips?

(Under amother because I had this convo in real life.)

Get a few devices which each perform one or more of the tasks your smartphone did.
I.e., buy a camera. A waze device. An ipod.....

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 1:26 pm
amother Peony wrote:

Life's good!
how’s text and camera for you?

amother
Peony

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 11:47 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
how’s text and camera for you?

It's very good for a kosher phone. Can't quite compare to a smartphone though.

I mainly use the one handed 'sweep' method. Where you drag from one key to the next to make your words. I find that it's very accurate. You can also use talk to text, T9 or voicenotes.

I don't use the camera much but I'd say the quality is that of a regular android. Nothing crazy but still good quality. The placement of the front camera is pretty odd, so selfies are not really a thing for me. None of this bothers me though.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:41 pm
Hi all,
well I have to say proudly that BH I took the plunge! I got the qin phone! I actually can't believe I did it. but Hashem helped tremendously, my android smartphone completely broke and I was without a phone for 5 days. The android is unfixable, I still may try to get it fixed for the monetary value/use it for a camera one day if it's fixable, needless to say I've been quite upset. Since I was anyways on the fence about getting a kosher phone, I decided instead of buying a whole new smartphone, I'll try the qin. I mean if google replaces my smartphone for free I'll have to come back and let you know what I decide lol, but for now their customer service has been very difficult and I was simply unreachable for 5 days so I figure kosher is better than no phone.

I got the qin, even tho I think it's very expensive, because I think it will be the easiest transition for me. I don't want to go all the way to only talk/text and then have it backfire cuz was too restrictive for my lifestyle.
I'll update iyh how it goes! hoping for good things Smile sweet new year for everyone Smile
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics