Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Can we get a cockatiel?? Att Mrs Dash or anyone else who can

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 10:55 pm
I am posting anonymously because ive had this conversation in real life with some family....

Anyone who is very knowledgable about cockatiels, please weigh in.

My family is desperate for a pet that they can actually bond with. They lost interest in their Beta fish quite quickly, and when we tried a hamster they were SO excited, but unfortunately, though we tried our hardest to train/tame him (followed every hamater forum's advice and youtube video out there but nothing worked), the hamster would only bite and run away no matter what, and they lost interest in him too.

My children are between aged 4 and 11. I will say that with both the fish and the hamster they started out very involved with the care of feeding, cleaning etc, but eventually completely stopped. BUT I really do believe that it had to do with them not feeling a connection to their pet anymore. My kids actually have chores they each do daily, and are used to having responsibilities. I think that if they had a pet they felt was actually a pet, they would naturally take care of it more on their own.

They are now begging for a pet that will truly interact with them, and we did extensive research and nixed many pets for various reasons. We kept coming back to parrots, but we realized we would not be able to give a real parrot sooooo much attention, nor deal with resulting temper tantrums they may be prone to. But a cockatiel kept coming up as a reasonable choice, needing attention but not quite as needy as a full parrot, and overall easy to handle.
We also loved that people say they arent necessarily choosey with one particular family member and shunning the rest, but that theyll love everyone who loves them. (Hope thats true)

The thing is, I really want to get it for them, but DH and I also want to make absolutely sure that a cockatiel is right for us, as it would be terrible for us to invest so much into this, only to have something come up as a problem...

So if you're able to answer these questions off the top of my head, I would so appreciate it.

-aside from all initial costs, how much $ is upkeep? Do they need to see a vet regularly?
-are they really as friendly to all family members aa ive read? How likely is it to be aggressive?
-my kids envision him sitting on their shoulder and interacting playfully with them. Likely, or a toss-up chance?
-what do they eat?
-what do you use to keep the cage clean and how often do you change it? How easy is it to change?
-do their nails (claws??)need to be clipped?
-do their wings need to be clipped? Do they fly around the house, or hop?
-do they listen to you? Can I expect it to go back to the cage willingly, or do we have to "catch it" to put it back?
-is it possible to train them to poop in their cage only or am I being silly? How offensive/large is their poop?
-how much hands on attention do they really need? We're all at work/school during daytime hours...
-im assuming its ok to leave it at home for a shabbos if we go away? Like Friday afternoon to Saturday night... but for longer than that, is it enough to have someone come by to feed it, or does it need to get let out of its cage? (We are not people who go away frequently at all, dont remember the last time we did, im just thinking of every possible scenario)
-is it a halachic problem on shabbos/yom tov to let it out of its cage, because when it goes back in, shutting the door on it is considered tzaid (trapping)? Ive heard that with other animals...

Thats all I can think of for now....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:53 pm
-aside from all initial costs, how much $ is upkeep?
Very little for a pet, only food mix and an occasional thing for the cage, maybe 50$ a year

Do they need to see a vet regularly?
Some people do, others only if a problem comes up

-are they really as friendly to all family members aa ive read? Yes, they have the main person as favorite but are great with anyone who spends a lot of time or interacts with them or is nice to them

How likely is it to be aggressive?

They are not aggressive, can get upset if someone is not nice

-my kids envision him sitting on their shoulder and interacting playfully with them. Likely, or a toss-up chance?
They love sitting on shoulder & interactive attention

-what do they eat?
Seed mix & veg & fruit scraps from kitchen, water from a water bottle

-what do you use to keep the cage clean and how often do you change it?

Wet wipes & change paper (recycled newspapers but without rabbi pictures Wink ) once a week, deep cleaning for pesach

How easy is it to change?
Quick & easy

You can but sand perches will keep them from getting sharp without trimming

-do their wings need to be clipped? No, it is optional

Do they fly around the house, or hop? If wings are clipped they hop & walk, if not they fly

-do they listen to you? Only if you spend the time to train them

Can I expect it to go back to the cage willingly, or do we have to "catch it" to put it back?
Once it is used to its cage like a nest it will go back easily, no catching needed. If you get a baby and its wings are not clipped you will have to get it back but its not difficult.

-is it possible to train them to poop in their cage only or am I being silly?
I think so but not sure, they usually prefers to

How offensive/large is their poop? Small, nothing a wet wipe cant clean up in a second

-how much hands on attention do they really need? We're all at work/school during daytime hours...
Thats fine, night only is enough attention

-im assuming its ok to leave it at home for a shabbos if we go away? Like Friday afternoon to Saturday night... but for longer than that, is it enough to have someone come by to feed it, or does it need to get let out of its cage?
Over one night is generally okay once you know your cage is safe & the food containers you use are safe. You can get someone to drop in daily or twice daily while you are away but for a longer time it is better to find a safe sitter to stay with if it is possible

-is it a halachic problem on shabbos/yom tov to let it out of its cage, because when it goes back in, shutting the door on it is considered tzaid (trapping)? No issue of trapping if the bird is domesticated & goes back into the cage willingly, aylor. There is issue with shabbos candles, cholent dangers if it flies.

By the way, no non stick pots and pans etc. The fumes can kill birds.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:15 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
-aside from all initial costs, how much $ is upkeep?
Very little for a pet, only food mix and an occasional thing for the cage, maybe 50$ a year

Do they need to see a vet regularly?
Some people do, others only if a problem comes up

-are they really as friendly to all family members aa ive read? Yes, they have the main person as favorite but are great with anyone who spends a lot of time or interacts with them or is nice to them

How likely is it to be aggressive?

They are not aggressive, can get upset if someone is not nice

They love sitting on shoulder & interactive attention

-what do they eat?
Seed mix & veg & fruit scraps from kitchen, water from a water bottle

-what do you use to keep the cage clean and how often do you change it?

Wet wipes & change paper (recycled newspapers but without rabbi pictures Wink ) once a week, deep cleaning for pesach

How easy is it to change?
Quick & easy

You can but sand perches will keep them from getting sharp without trimming

-do their wings need to be clipped? No, it is optional

Do they fly around the house, or hop? If wings are clipped they hop & walk, if not they fly

-do they listen to you? Only if you spend the time to train them

Can I expect it to go back to the cage willingly, or do we have to "catch it" to put it back?
Once it is used to its cage like a nest it will go back easily, no catching needed. If you get a baby and its wings are not clipped you will have to get it back but its not difficult.

-is it possible to train them to poop in their cage only or am I being silly?
I think so but not sure, they usually prefers to

How offensive/large is their poop? Small, nothing a wet wipe cant clean up in a second

Thats fine, night only is enough attention

-im assuming its ok to leave it at home for a shabbos if we go away? Like Friday afternoon to Saturday night... but for longer than that, is it enough to have someone come by to feed it, or does it need to get let out of its cage?
Over one night is generally okay once you know your cage is safe & the food containers you use are safe. You can get someone to drop in daily or twice daily while you are away but for a longer time it is better to find a safe sitter to stay with if it is possible

-is it a halachic problem on shabbos/yom tov to let it out of its cage, because when it goes back in, shutting the door on it is considered tzaid (trapping)? No issue of trapping if the bird is domesticated & goes back into the cage willingly, aylor. There is issue with shabbos candles, cholent dangers if it flies.

By the way, no non stick pots and pans etc. The fumes can kill birds.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the time you took to answer...sounds like a real option.

Anyone else with experience, pleaae chime in

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:25 am
Cockatiels can have varying personalities.

The one my mom had was a terror. She bit HARD, threw seed all over the floor, and SCREECHED at the slightest thing. She never learned to talk, and she never bonded with anyone, no matter how gentle and patient we were.

We ended giving the bird away. Nobody missed her.

As soon as the cockatiel was out of the house, my mom's parakeets started talking! We didn't even know parakeets could do that! Surprised They were quiet the whole time that we had Molly, but once she was out of the picture all we heard was "Pretty bird, here kitty kitty, nice doggy, hello, *whistles*, watcha doin'?"

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:01 am
One more thing, only buy from a breeder, not a pet store. There are many reasons.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:34 pm
A cockatiel is a perfect family pet! If you get one as a baby, that had been handfed by a reputable breeder, it'll be super tame. (If you're going to get a baby, make sure its fully weaned.) I highly encourage you to go through that route, and not pet store bought, or an older bird that "needs a little work."

Depending on your location, a baby cockatiel can be anywhere from $90 - $300 dollars. Cockatiels are not known to be aggressive, or having a favorite. They are very friendly and easy going. They can live to be 30 and beyond.

Get a good sized cage equipped with a swing, and toys. My cockatiel eats mostly pellets, but I sprinkle in different types of seed mixtures. You can try offering fruits and veggies. Never Avocados or chocolate. Avocados are extremely poisonous, it's equivalent to us eating arsenic.

You can use regular cleaning products in the house, but if there is an odor, keep your windows and doors opened to air it out. (Or an air purifier.) Room sprays are not too good for them, but if it's in another room, or far enough that it won't reach the bird, it's okay to use.

It's best to have the wings clipped, and not have free range all over the house. When taking it out of the cage to play, maybe go to a room that has a door to keep it safe. They can fly out the windows or doors in moments, and you'll never see that bird again. Hand tamed birds will "step up" to your finger, and you can bring it to the cage, and let them hop off. A few things to keep in mind, try to keep calm when taking it out and playing. Sudden movements, or spastic behavior can spook them. Don't poke at it, or squeeze, or scream at, or hit the cage. You don't need to tiptoe around the house when the bird is in their cage.

"Potty" training is possible, but super difficult. I've only ever had one bird, an eclectus parrot, that was potty trained, and they had trained themselves for some reason, otherwise, I wouldn't attempt it. Plus their poops aren't huge, or noticeably stinky, Unless you don't change their paper regularly. I somehow got a hold of stacks of dot matrix paper, but regular printer paper, or newspapers work just as well. Change it as needed.

Fresh cold water from the tap Every Day. If you notice the bird not bathing, use a water bottle, on the mist setting, and give the guy a spritz or two.

Please buy a bottle of "Kwik Stop." If you notice the bird is bleeding, that stuff, mixed with water creates a paste that stops the bleeding, and it has some antibiotic in it as well. If the bird is bleeding and you don't have any on hand, use cornstarch or flour.

Halacha-wise, on shabbos, most don't take the bird out of the cage. You can always ask your Rav.

If possible, try not to pull your hand away when attempting to pick it up or playing. Pulling your hand away is sometimes just a natural reflex, but the bird will feel unsettled about you. They like a nice steady finger to rest on, or a head, or a shoulder.

They need both light and dark every day. If it's a room that's always lit, cover the cage with a blanket of sorts to darken their environment, so they can sleep.

Here's a couple pictures of my cockatiel. The first picture, she was 4 weeks old. The second, she's a year old.

Last edited by MrsDash on Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:05 pm
MrsDash wrote:
A cockatiel is a perfect family pet! If you get one as a baby, that had been handfed by a reputable breeder, it'll be super tame. (If you're going to get a baby, make sure its fully weaned.) I highly encourage you to go through that route, and not pet store bought, or an older bird that "needs a little work."

Depending on your location, a baby cockatiel can be anywhere from $90 - $300 dollars. Cockatiels are not known to be aggressive, or having a favorite. They are very friendly and easy going. They can live to be 30 and beyond.

Get a good sized cage equipped with a swing, and toys. My cockatiel eats mostly pellets, but I sprinkle in different types of seed mixtures. You can try offering fruits and veggies. Never Avocados or chocolate. Avocados are extremely poisonous, it's equivalent to us eating arsenic.

You can use regular cleaning products in the house, but if there is an odor, keep your windows and doors opened to air it out. (Or an air purifier.) Room sprays are not too good for them, but if it's in another room, or far enough that it won't reach the bird, it's okay to use.

It's best to have the wings clipped, and not have free range all over the house. When taking it out of the cage to play, maybe go to a room that has a door to keep it safe. They can fly out the windows or doors in moments, and you'll never see that bird again. Hand tamed birds will "step up" to your finger, and you can bring it to the cage, and let them hop off. A few things to keep in mind, try to keep calm when taking it out and playing. Sudden movements, or spastic behavior can spook them. Don't poke at it, or squeeze, or scream at, or hit the cage. You don't need to tiptoe around the house when the bird is in their cage.

"Potty" training is possible, but super difficult. I've only ever had one bird, an eclectus parrot, that was potty trained, and they had trained themselves for some reason, otherwise, I wouldn't attempt it. Plus their poops aren't huge, or noticeably stinky, Unless you don't change their paper regularly. I somehow got a hold of stacks of dot matrix paper, but regular printer paper, or newspapers work just as well. Change it as needed.

Fresh cold water from the tap Every Day. If you notice the bird not bathing, use a water bottle, on the mist setting, and give the guy a spritz or two.

Please buy a bottle of "kuik stop." If you notice the bird is bleeding, that stuff, mixed with water creates a paste that stops the bleeding, and it has some antibiotic in it as well. If the bird is bleeding and you don't have any on hand, use cornstarch or flour.

Halacha-wise, on shabbos, most don't take the bird out of the cage. You can always ask your Rav.

If possible, try not to pull your hand away when attempting to pick it up or playing. Pulling your hand away is sometimes just a natural reflex, but the bird will feel unsettled about you. They like a nice steady finger to rest on, or a head, or a shoulder.

They need both light and dark every day. If it's a room that's always lit, cover the cage with a blanket of sorts to darken their environment, so they can sleep.

Here's a couple pictures of my cockatiel. The first picture, she was 4 weeks old. The second, she's a year old.

Thank you for your response!
-so am I understanding correctly that it's better to buy it when its a baby? Because an adult may not be tamed? What age is considered a baby?
-is a baby more difficult to care for in any way?
-how would I find a reputable breeder that hand fed it? Is there a look-up website? I live in monsey ny...
-ive read there are different lengths their wings can be clipped, and you shouldnt clip too short or they can drop off the cage and get hurt? Can you weigh in on how much to get it clipped? Also, I read someone saying that you should only clip it after theyve learned to fly first? Is that true? I also read someones opinion that clipping makes them unhappier birds, but others say they have very happy clipped cockatiels so...I guess not?
-regarding maybe not taking them out over shabbos-when we have a 3 day yomtov, they would remain in the cage for 3 days...im ok with that I just want to make sure we wouldnt be mistreating him...he would still get human interaction through the cage. Thats ok?
-is it true that males are friendlier?

Thank you!!!

Oh, and I LOVE your bird! Such a sweetie

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your response!
-so am I understanding correctly that it's better to buy it when its a baby? Because an adult may not be tamed? What age is considered a baby?
-is a baby more difficult to care for in any way?
-how would I find a reputable breeder that hand fed it? Is there a look-up website? I live in monsey ny...
-ive read there are different lengths their wings can be clipped, and you shouldnt clip too short or they can drop off the cage and get hurt? Can you weigh in on how much to get it clipped? Also, I read someone saying that you should only clip it after theyve learned to fly first? Is that true? I also read someones opinion that clipping makes them unhappier birds, but others say they have very happy clipped cockatiels so...I guess not?
-regarding maybe not taking them out over shabbos-when we have a 3 day yomtov, they would remain in the cage for 3 days...im ok with that I just want to make sure we wouldnt be mistreating him...he would still get human interaction through the cage. Thats ok?
-is it true that males are friendlier?

Thank you!!!

Oh, and I LOVE your bird! Such a sweetie

When you get an adult bird from a random person, you don't know their past or their true age. I rescued a Senegal, and he was sweet, but out of nowhere, he'd lunge and bite. They're unpredictable when you don't know what they've been through.

Most cockatiels wean around 3 - 4 months. (Some more, some less) Both males and females are equal when it comes to being tame. I have found that the male cockatiels have a better grip on vocabulary and whistling. My Indian Ringneck was a female and began talking at 4 months. Einstein, the popular speaking African Grey was a female. So it's a hit or miss.

Clipping the wings won't make the bird not able to fly, they just don't have enough length to soar, or fly up in the air for long periods. It's like getting a haircut or finger nails clipped. There's no pain. For my cockatiel, I clip her wings every few months or so. I would definitely have an experienced bird owner, or professional clip the wings, and cut their nails as needed.

Leaving the bird in the cage for 3 days is perfectly fine, as long as there's sufficient amount of food, fresh water, and toys. Plus you'll be there to talk to it and give attention.

The friendly factor is generally males, but for some reason, with cockatiels, I find the females to be more tame, and chilled. My Caique is a a female, she's super friendly to everyone, but my male lovebirds are friendlier. Each bird will be different.

Finding a breeder is the hardest part. If you have facebook, join a bird group from your area, and ask about handfed cockatiels. You can check the website Birdsnow .com, or Hoobly .com for ads. Craigslist sometimes has breeders.

Here's a picture of my baby cockatiel after a huge feeding: She's stuffed like a turkey!

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 4:40 pm
Every time I see this thread I read it as "cocktail"! Drunken Smile

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:45 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
Every time I see this thread I read it as "cocktail"! Drunken Smile

That's a sign that you're in need of one! Cheers

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:33 am
Can't argue with that! LOL

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 4:05 am
Just one more thing to add:
Females, once older, can start laying eggs and getting broody. It's a compliment - it means they're happy and comfortable - but it's a total pain.
They sit on them forever (even if you take them away which is supposed to be the magic broody cure but isn't) and get all hissy and snappy, don't play or eat or anything.
About once or twice a day they'll come off the eggs to eat and make a gigantic, gigantic (and I really really mean gigantic) poop. Oh, plus you worry about them because constant egg production isn't great for their calcium levels.

Some females are broodier than others - we had 2 females at one point. One never laid and the other was laying constantly.

So it's not a 100% gonna happen kinda thing, but you don't have to worry about it if you get a male.

Overall, really fun cute pets that don't require a lot of care.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 4:32 am
I had a cockatiel named Chiquita. We got her as an adult, she was nice and normal, very friendly, no aggression. She liked everybody, basically. She laid eggs but didn’t get too upset when they were taken away. Basically a nice low-maintenance pet, if you like birds.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 7:13 am
Now that I'm thinking back, I'm pretty sure my mom got Molly from a pet store, and she was probably traumatized by all the attention she got when she was on display. No wonder she didn't want to interact with us! Sad

I totally agree with Ms Dash about getting a weaned bird from a breeder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets