Home

What's healthiest diet to prevent health problems
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

abc 123




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 5:37 am
Hi
I'm a normal healthy weight and have never been overweight BH. I'm in my mid 30's, 162cm and I'm usually around 56kg when I'm not pregnant. So I do NOT need a weight loss diet. I need a HEALTHY diet. Preferably an affordable healthy diet . Not too expensive.
I never worried too much about healthy eating but I tried to eat a healthy balanced diet most of the time but still ate some junk on Shabbos, yomtov and at simchas.
But recently I had gallstones and BH had surgery to remove the gallstones. While waiting 3 months for surgery I ate a healthy very low fat vegan diet with no nuts no seeds no oils no avocado to prevent painful gallstone attacks.
I suspect that eating unhealthy food caused the gallstones.
I really want to eat healthy from now on to prevent health issues as I get older.
What is the healthiest nutritionally balanced long term diet to prevent diabetes, heart disease, cancer, kidney problems , etc etc.
Some of my aunt's have type 2 diabetes so it runs in my family. My sister had gestational diabetes even though she is NOT overweight.
But there is lots of confusing conflicting information about what is or isn't healthy.
I know added sugar is unhealthy and should be avoided
White refined flour is unhealthy and should be avoided.
Fruit and vegetable are healthy
Legumes are healthy
But some questions I'm confused about ?
Is canola oil ok or unhealthy ? (Is olive oil much healthier?)
Is dairy healthy or not ?
Is red meat healthy or not ?
Is wholewheat healthy (high in fibre) or unhealthy (genetically modified and gluten)?
Is gluten grains healthy or unhealthy?
Are grains healthy or unhealthy? (I mean wholegrains not white refined grains )
Is meat , chicken and eggs healthy or unhealthy?

What's healthier high fat low carb or high carb low fat?
Is vegan healthier?
Is Mediterranean healthier?
Back to top

amother




Nemesia
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 5:52 am
Short answer: medeterranian diet is known to be the healthiest.

Long answer:
Every single piece of nutritional advice has been debated over the years. There are conflicting viewpoints on all of them.
Low carb or low fat? Dairy or not. Eat many small meals or 3 square. Eat breakfast or skip breakfast.

The studies are always coming out with new results. And there are trends....right now the trend is to say that low carb is the way to go.

If you dont need to lose weight, my advice to you would be to stick to the Medetteranean diet.
Plenty of healthy oils (olive oils, avocado, nuts and seeds), full fat dairy.
Generous amounts of proteins such as oily fish, chicken, some red meat, eggs, tody, beans, legumes.
Restrict processed meats such as sausages and deli.
Eat lost of green leafy vegetables and colored vegetables.
Eat whole grains and legumes like lentils, beans, quinoa, wild rice, buckwheat. Choose dark over white.
They say a glass of red wine with dinner is good for you, as is a bit if dark chocolate.
Back to top

amother




Pewter
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:03 am
The healthiest diet is the one you can maintain long term and not feel constantly deprived.

Obviously go low on processed foods, sugar, refined grains. Other than that, it's what will work best for your lifestyle. No one diet is healthiest for everyone.
Back to top

amother




Snowdrop
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:16 am
But there is lots of confusing conflicting information about what is or isn't healthy.

And you will get a lot of conflicting information here too.


I know added sugar is unhealthy and should be avoided

Agree


White refined flour is unhealthy and should be avoided.

Agree


Fruit and vegetable are healthy

Agree


Legumes are healthy

Agree



Is canola oil ok or unhealthy ? (Is olive oil much healthier?)

Oil is not healthy except olive oil. Olive oil is best uncooked. If cooked at low temp.
Today it is believed that the healthiest oils to cook with are coconut, avocodo, and shmaltz.

Is dairy healthy or not ?

Very healthy for baby cows. Dairy is high in hormones and cows who ate unhealthy & unnatural like chicken brains and chocolate against their natural diet, which are the two reasons the cows who produce the milk are not healthy. According to an allergist who I know, if you never eat organic, dairy is the one thing you should. According to the shulchan aruch, milk loses its benefits and becomes bad for you after 24 hours past milking. The additives in dairy products are unhealthy. Like wood sawdust in shredded cheese, sugar & food coloring in yogurt. Butter is an exception, it is the healthiest dairy choice because of its process. Ultra pasteurized dairy is not good either. Cholov yisroel is better than not because most of the sources avoid the hormone injections to the cows ( the purpose is profits btw). Dairy promotes congestion at a cellular level. If you are ever sick avoiding sugar & dairy helps you heal faster. And no, it is not the best source of calcium, there are better sources.

Is red meat healthy or not ?

In moderation, on occasion is okay.


Is wholewheat healthy (high in fibre) or unhealthy (genetically modified and gluten)?

If you are okay with gluten. And wheat is not gmo yet. And depends according to shulchan aruch which says plain bread is healthy but everything else made of it ie pasta is not. But in the US they drench the wheat with heavy pesticides a few days before cutting so the cutting machines have an easier time and it lessens repairs to the machines, those chemicals are unhealthy, robs the body of minerals. But if you are in italy or france it is good. Their process is very different and the gluten and chemicals are not an issue.


Is gluten grains healthy or unhealthy? In plain bread like sourdough, healthy. If you do not have sensitivity to it.

Are grains healthy or unhealthy? (I mean wholegrains not white refined grains )

You meanthe not 5 chametz grains? Healthy


Is meat , chicken and eggs healthy or unhealthy? Chicken & eggs are healthy. Meat in moderation.

What's healthier high fat low carb or high carb low fat?

Major machlokes. Best to go in the middle.


Is vegan healthier?

According to some, not others. Best is in the middle.


Is Mediterranean healthier?

Anything is healthier than American style.

The closer a food is to its natural state of creation, the healthier it is for you.

High fat, dairy, sugar, fried food, dehydration are no good for you regarding prevention of gallstones, High carbs processed gluten & refined sugar as far as diabetes.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:36 am
I have a great interest in blue zones which are places where people live very long lives and are healthy in old age. A journalist recently wrote a blue zone cookbook and of course, different zones have different local foods. Look up blue zone diet to get some ideas. Of course, diet is not the only factor in predicting longevity.
Back to top

trixx




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:24 am
Low fat, vegan, no nuts, no fat is NOT healthy.

Veggies. Fruit. Meat. Oils that are only avocado, coconut or olive.

No gluten
No refined sugar
No dairy unless quality (raw, ghee, goat, kefir) (that's the ideal)
Back to top

abc 123




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:29 am
trixx wrote:
Low fat, vegan, no nuts, no fat is NOT healthy.

Veggies. Fruit. Meat. Oils that are only avocado, coconut or olive.

No gluten
No refined sugar
No dairy unless quality (raw, ghee, goat, kefir) (that's the ideal)

OP here
I only did very low fat vegan diet temporarily for 3 months while waiting for gall bladder surgery to avoid painful gallstone attacks.

Thank you for long term healthy diet ideas.
Back to top

abc 123




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:32 am
OP here
Thank you all for your replies about healthy diet.
Back to top

amother




Yolk
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:33 am
Food pyramid
Back to top

trixx




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:43 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Food pyramid


Don't do this. It's completely influenced by the big food corps. There is no way you should be eating more grains (processed by companies) than fruits and veg.
Back to top

amother




Yolk
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:56 am
trixx wrote:
Don't do this. It's completely influenced by the big food corps. There is no way you should be eating more grains (processed by companies) than fruits and veg.


1. You're not eating more grains than vegetables.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/n.....late/

2. My doctor says fruits are some of the worst things you can eat in an otherwise healthy diet. I love fruits but I limit them for this reason. I like veggies too and they are safe.
Back to top

lamplighter




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:29 am
I define healthy as closest to the way hashem made it.

Fruit veggies proteins whole dairy whole grains etc.

Less processed the better.
Back to top

amother




Nemesia
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:36 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
1. You're not eating more grains than vegetables.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/n.....late/

2. My doctor says fruits are some of the worst things you can eat in an otherwise healthy diet.
I love fruits but I limit them for this reason. I like veggies too and they are safe.


Really! So I'm better off eating ice cream, pizza, hot dogs and potato chips rather than an apple?
Can't Believe It
Back to top

amother




Yolk
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Really! So I'm better off eating ice cream, pizza, hot dogs and potato chips rather than an apple?
Can't Believe It


I wrote otherwise healthy diet. Where do ice cream and chips come in here? And if you have healthy homemade pizza it's probably a better choice than fruit. Fruit is only supposed to be a small amount of your diet. It's full of carbs and sugar. It actually gives me headaches but I love fruit so what can I say.
Back to top

realsilver




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:05 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
I wrote otherwise healthy diet. Where do ice cream and chips come in here? And if you have healthy homemade pizza it's probably a better choice than fruit. Fruit is only supposed to be a small amount of your diet. It's full of carbs and sugar. It actually gives me headaches but I love fruit so what can I say.


Thats a personal thing than. Its ludicrous to say fruit is unhealthy! Whoever says fruit is unhealthy is talking about about a losing weight diet, because its does have sugar.
I feel my best when I eat tons of fruit a day. It has tons of nutrients, tons of fibre, and could make you feel great.

I just edited to add that this is one of the reasons I dont trust doctors. I suffer from low energy and IBS my whole life and all the doctor was able to do for me is give me orange syrup laxatives to cure my IBS. Seriously?
Either way I feel like you should ask your doctor again to clarify because it makes no sense.


Last edited by realsilver on Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

BokerTov




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Food pyramid

If you want to look like a pyramid
Back to top

amother




Daylily
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
1. You're not eating more grains than vegetables.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/n.....late/

2. My doctor says fruits are some of the worst things you can eat in an otherwise healthy diet. I love fruits but I limit them for this reason. I like veggies too and they are safe.


I dont believe this is true for the general population. fruits, in moderation, contain much fiber and vitamins. don't eat a pound of cherries in one sitting, but a few servings a day are extremely healthy.
but the reason why I don't believe it is because Hashem created fruits; anything Hashem created is healthy for the human body in the form He created it. so, don't get eat sugar crusted dried mango....but please eat ripe fresh mango....
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 10:38 am
abc 123 wrote:
Hi
I'm a normal healthy weight and have never been overweight BH. I'm in my mid 30's, 162cm and I'm usually around 56kg when I'm not pregnant. So I do NOT need a weight loss diet. I need a HEALTHY diet. Preferably an affordable healthy diet . Not too expensive.
I never worried too much about healthy eating but I tried to eat a healthy balanced diet most of the time but still ate some junk on Shabbos, yomtov and at simchas.
But recently I had gallstones and BH had surgery to remove the gallstones. While waiting 3 months for surgery I ate a healthy very low fat vegan diet with no nuts no seeds no oils no avocado to prevent painful gallstone attacks.
I suspect that eating unhealthy food caused the gallstones.
I really want to eat healthy from now on to prevent health issues as I get older.
What is the healthiest nutritionally balanced long term diet to prevent diabetes, heart disease, cancer, kidney problems , etc etc.
Some of my aunt's have type 2 diabetes so it runs in my family. My sister had gestational diabetes even though she is NOT overweight.
But there is lots of confusing conflicting information about what is or isn't healthy.
I know added sugar is unhealthy and should be avoided
White refined flour is unhealthy and should be avoided.
Fruit and vegetable are healthy
Legumes are healthy
But some questions I'm confused about ?
Is canola oil ok or unhealthy ? (Is olive oil much healthier?)
Is dairy healthy or not ?
Is red meat healthy or not ?
Is wholewheat healthy (high in fibre) or unhealthy (genetically modified and gluten)?
Is gluten grains healthy or unhealthy?
Are grains healthy or unhealthy? (I mean wholegrains not white refined grains )
Is meat , chicken and eggs healthy or unhealthy?

What's healthier high fat low carb or high carb low fat?
Is vegan healthier?
Is Mediterranean healthier?


From my research healthiest fat is coconut oil butter from grass fed cows and schmaltz from organic chickens. What our Bubbies ate. Modern vegetable oils are high in omega 6 and this is a cause of heart disease the main killer.

Low carb also important.

Hatzlocha
Back to top

smss




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 10:48 am
I think we do best when we ADD things in as opposed to cutting things out.

So, add in lots of vegetables! And some fruit. Try for at least 5 servings a day.

Add fish that's high in omega-3 like salmon.

Add higher fiber carbs like whole grains and sweet potatoes.

Add some healthy fats like olive oil and nuts.

Add more plant based meals. No need to say "I'm never eating red meat again."

Add probiotic rich foods like yogurt.

Add plenty of water.

I think the rest will work itself out.

And of course exercise is just as, if not more, important than diet in preventing many of the diseases you talked about.
Back to top

amother




Hawthorn
 

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 10:52 am
Most humans would probably do well on a paleo diet. Too much carbs and too little fats are at the root of most western illnesses due to oxidative stress and mineral dysrefulation. If you are already sick then more restrictive diets like gaps, scd, aip, or keto may be necessary. For OP with gallbladder issues, look into root causes, don’t just cut out fats. You can support your gallbladder by supplementing with digestive bitters, digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Health Insurance Broker
by amother
3 Today at 2:54 pm View last post
Maxi health gripe water
by amother
5 Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:46 pm View last post
Not losing weight on strict diet
by amother
34 Wed, Aug 10 2022, 8:32 am View last post
Fasting and emotional health question
by amother
16 Sun, Aug 07 2022, 2:47 pm View last post
Diet for Hypothyroidism
by synthy
22 Sun, Aug 07 2022, 2:14 am View last post