Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone have a toddler who was or is extremely delayed?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:56 pm
When did they begin to communicate and then speak?

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It depends why they are extremely delayed. In the US your first step would be an evaluation for Early Intervention, have you done that yet?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:01 pm
I'm curious, how is that info helpful to you?
Maybe we can help you more by telling you what we did to help the child
I'm not sure
My delayed child spoke extremely early. the child is still delayed in many many areas (school age now)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:12 pm
My almost 3 year old doesn’t speak or even communicate in any way shape or form. And yes, he is getting hours and hours of therapy. I guess I’m hoping to hear from someone who’s had a child like mine that there was a happy ending and that their child eventually learned to talk.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My almost 3 year old doesn’t speak or even communicate in any way shape or form. And yes, he is getting hours and hours of therapy. I guess I’m hoping to hear from someone who’s had a child like mine that there was a happy ending and that their child eventually learned to talk.

Sorry that’s hard. Does he have a diagnosis?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That is hard. Not even by pointing at stuff? at pictures? crying? Facial expressions?
Have you tried baby sign language?
Did he have a psych eval? a hearing test?
sorry for throwing all of these questions at you. it's just hard to be helpful with no information.
what do his therapists say?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:21 pm
My son who will be 3 in august did speak at all at 2. Maybe 1-2 words but not to communicate. Due to covid nothing happened with it and I kept pushing off therapy. Within the past 2 months he started speaking. This past months he went from no meaningful communication to 5 word sentences. It’s still not clear but it’s so nice to hear from him.

My son until now didn’t speak but was great at non verbal communication. He had everything he needed. His Morah agreed he was happy and content with situation. He pointed, grunted. Or motioned and always got what he wanted. I felt he didn’t feel the urge to talk.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:23 pm
This information was eye opening for us when we were going through this with our asd child.
https://tacanow.org/family-res.....ions/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
This information was eye opening for us when we were going through this with our asd child.
https://tacanow.org/family-res.....ions/
thanks! He has received a diagnosis but isn’t really on the spectrum.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:54 pm
Is it just communication that's delayed? Because my son had severe Sleep Apnea as a baby that was undiagnosed, and when we finally figured it out and got him on a bi-pap machine and eventually got his tonsils and adenoids out he improved dramatically.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 10:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks! He has received a diagnosis but isn’t really on the spectrum.

what do you mean by this?
autism looks extremely different in each person
I have one child who is a perfect communicator with perfect eye contact and he's probably on the spectrum

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 10:58 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
what do you mean by this?
autism looks extremely different in each person
I have one child who is a perfect communicator with perfect eye contact and he's probably on the spectrum
he was put on the spectrum so he could qualify for a certain program.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 11:02 pm
I'm a school based SLP and I work with children/teenagers on the spectrum and some non verbal children too.

Please share what your son IS able to do, some of his interests, and I can give you some rough ideas of what you can do at home.

Does he have an AAC device? An app like proloquo2go is wonderful for children who are nonverbal.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 11:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
he was put on the spectrum so he could qualify for a certain program.

who put him there? as far as I understand it it's not so simple to get an autism diagnosis and if you get one you qualify. if you're in NY, it's very easy to get services for kids under the age of 5 without a diagnosis. unless you're talking about opwdd services.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 11:07 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
who put him there? as far as I understand it it's not so simple to get an autism diagnosis and if you get one you qualify. if you're in NY, it's very easy to get services for kids under the age of 5 without a diagnosis. unless you're talking about opwdd services.

It's not as easy as you think to get approved for EI or services necessarily.
I have heard of evaluators using diagnosis more freely in order to get approved

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 11:17 pm
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
It's not as easy as you think to get approved for EI or services necessarily.
I have heard of evaluators using diagnosis more freely in order to get approved

evaluators cannot diagnose a child.

do you live in NY?

tweety1

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes I did. Was delayed in every area. Had every form of therapy. Physical, feeding, speech, ot, and I think it's called special ed I'm not sure it was so long ago. Had a very specific diagnosis regarding speech. Bh it's so many years later and dc is bh doing great. Dc is struggling a bit and has a tutor but other than that there's no issue whatsoever.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:21 am
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
I'm a school based SLP and I work with children/teenagers on the spectrum and some non verbal children too.

Please share what your son IS able to do, some of his interests, and I can give you some rough ideas of what you can do at home.

Does he have an AAC device? An app like proloquo2go is wonderful for children who are nonverbal.

Do you work with P2G? Curious because I feel like so little therapists in our community are familiar with it.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 7:03 am
Yes I had one who was very delayed. He didn't really speak much until he was almost 4. But he did communicate in other ways. He is 10 and speaks plenty now (we joke that the speech therapists did the job too well) though he is autistic, so the challenges are by no means over.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 7:21 am
One of my sister's boys didn't speak until he was almost 5. He has mid-functioning ASD.

He's an adult now, and though he finished school he still lives at home. He can do basic work with supervision, but he's not reliable and has meltdowns frequently.

The good news is that he speaks very fluently, can communicate all of his wants and needs, and can carry on adult conversations. He has many interests, and loves to tell you all about them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics