Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Which Far Rockaway BY for a girl with ADHD

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:50 am
We are moving to the area for the 22-23 school year. I have a daughter who is in first grade and has an ADHD diagnosis. She is on medication and bh her current school is not complaining at all about her behavior. She has plenty of friends, no social issues bh and is academically on the weaker side. Hashgafically I believe I'd be fine in BBY TAG or BYAM.

Which school would you recommend for my daughter and why?

gootlfriends

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:13 pm
I have a girl in tag and ateres Miriam. I prefer ateres Miriam. Its small, warm and they know each of the students. They do have therapy available if your child has an iep as well. I mention that because tag has great therapists but its a big school, your child might be overwhelmed there. If I could pick, both my girls would in on byam.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:37 pm
My daughter does have an IEP. She is doing totally fine now behaviorally you would not know she was on meds if I didnt tell you but I need a school that will work with me if issues arise as she grows up.

BYAM size and warmth is attracting me yet they don't have as many resources as creative outlets as TAG. TAG is exactly the opposite. It is a much bigger school so many more resources yet can't possibly be as warm and principals cant know the girls as well. BBY just seems to be in the middle of everything.

Academically I am not so concerned. All the schools have providers paid for the NYC DOE once you have an IEP. My main main concern is which school would be best for a child should any behavioral/emotional/social issues (chas veshalom) arise as she gets older.

gootlfriends

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:42 pm
I think tag is less tolerant. My daughter in byam is 7, almost 8. She has a lot of anxiety that makes her act out sometimes and they worked with her. She had nit check and they let me come to school to sit with her and do her hair after. I don't think tag would have done that. I also know she has a few kids in her class with struggles and they work with it.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 12:44 pm
I would say Ateres Miriam. I don't have any school age girls yet, but I have friends that send to both schools, and more than one that sends to TAG that uses the resource room services has had issues. BYAM is known to be less academic than TAG, but they really treasure each girl, even if she struggles. TAG is a great school but it wouldn't be my go to if my daughter had an IEP. I wouldn't want her to feel like a 'problem' which I think is more likely to happen in TAG.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:29 pm
I haven’t found tag or byam to be so tolerant. I would go with bby. Tag is the least tolerant of all despite having the most services. They really don’t like kids that are out of the box.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 1:47 pm
Also you may need to prepare yourself for not having a choice. We tried to transfer our daughter in from another school and BBY didn’t have room and TAG was mostly full.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 2:08 pm
I have a daughter in BYAM who has an IEP (actually I have two but one is in preschool). Everyone involved in her case has been amazing and really worked with her and appreciated her essence even though she has academic challenges. BUT, I have found that you need to be on top of implementation of the IEP, you really have to bug them to ensure that all services are provided. It's on you, to bug the special Ed department.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
Also you may need to prepare yourself for not having a choice. We tried to transfer our daughter in from another school and BBY didn’t have room and TAG was mostly full.

Were you trying to leave byam? Can I ask why?

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Were you trying to leave byam? Can I ask why?

No chas v’shalom, we ended up sending to BYAM and it is a great fit for our daughter. We were transferring from a non-Far Rockaway school into a far Rockaway BY.

gootlfriends

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
I have a daughter in BYAM who has an IEP (actually I have two but one is in preschool). Everyone involved in her case has been amazing and really worked with her and appreciated her essence even though she has academic challenges. BUT, I have found that you need to be on top of implementation of the IEP, you really have to bug them to ensure that all services are provided. It's on you, to bug the special Ed department.

I found that was only the first year. Also, my son in darchei I also had to make calls. And darchei has amazing services (just making a point).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries