Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What is average age for braces

When did you get braces for your kid
8-10  
 9%  [ 3 ]
11-12  
 41%  [ 13 ]
13-14  
 48%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 31

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:45 pm
Starting to think about braces for my daughter. At what age did your children get

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:47 pm
Depends on the kid-

Some don't have all their adult teeth in till older so you have to wait longer.

They also need a certain amount of maturity so they take care of their braces and you're not running to get brackets reattached every week.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:48 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Depends on the kid-

Some don't have all their adult teeth in till older so you have to wait longer.

They also need a certain amount of maturity so they take care of their braces and you're not running to get brackets reattached every week.

That's why I am sort of confused. I have a 12 year old - doc says it's my call but do before 15. Trying to decide if I should just do it or rather wait 1-2 years. If so how long to wait.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 5:55 pm
Go to an orthodontist for a consultation. Many kids need orthodontic work like palette expanders or space maintainers at age 10 or so. Some need it earlier.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 7:42 pm
Do it earlier in high school so they don't have braces for their 12th grade graduation pictures.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:52 pm
The earlier you take them to the orthodontist the better. If braces are needed the orthodontist will tell you when is best. And will monitor the child for the best time. It's best before they stop growing as the mouth is easier and much less painful to manuver during growth than after. For a girl-best before she starts menstruating.

Don't rely on the doctor or dentist for advice on orthodontics. Rely on a good orthodontist. Get recommendations from friends if you can.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:55 pm
Depends on how the teeth are growing in. It isn't about age. Timewise, your kid will want it off by 16-17, and it may be on for 2-3 years.
Check it out with your Orthodontist.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:59 pm
Get them when all the adult teeth are in or at least starting to grow. Otherwise you’ll just have braces for a long time

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:25 am
We were told bar/bas mitzva age. If it’s a serious issue, get them a bit earlier so that they will get them off midway ir so through highschool.
Many only need for a year or two.
They are more likely to stay if you do it a little younger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children