Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
It’s been a month without a washing machine! Update ! Vent!
1  2  Next

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:00 pm
I bought a new whirlpool washer in September, and a month ago, before Shavuos, it stopped working, water wasn’t draining and making weird noise. ( the machine was locked with my clothes inside!)
I called the store I bought it from and since it was under the warranty they sent down a certified repair company: Superior Appliance for the repair. While waiting for them to arrive I unplugged the machine etc..and somehow the lock opened and I took my clothes out ( but not the water).
Tech came diagnosed that I need a new drain pump and that he will come back in a week to install it. (And in the process locked he lid again- full of water no clothes)
After a week, they let me know that the part is back ordered and they have up to 3 weeks to get the part. I asked them to come open the locked machine since the water was smelling really foul at this point. So they unlocked it for me somehow (not sure if they forced it or not.)
After 2.5 weeks they finally got the part and came to change it! I was thrilled. They told me to wait 2 hours and assured me that all is good.
Of course when I tried it later a new issue arose, the lock is not locking, and the machine won’t start.
I called them back and they let me know that I obviously need a new lid lock and here’s the punchline......ITS BACKORDERED! And they have no date for when it will be fixed. It was obviously their tech who broke it- and the don’t want to take any responsibility.
Last I spoke to them they wanted me to contact Whirlpool to find out how long it would take to get the part.
Of course whirlpool is directing me right back to them etc..

I’m at my wits end! A family of 8 with no washing machine!!
How can I get this resolved?

Last edited by doodlesmom on Mon, Nov 01 2021, 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

applesbananas

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:05 pm
Oh my goshhhh!!!!! That’s absolutely horrible

happy chick

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:06 pm
Aaaggghhhh!! How are you managing? I know everything is relative, but my washing machine is my life line. I was out of a machine for about 3 days and I thought I was gonna run away. I have no answer for you, but you certainly have my sympathies.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:08 pm
happy chick wrote:
Aaaggghhhh!! How are you managing? I know everything is relative, but my washing machine is my life line. I was out of a machine for about 3 days and I thought I was gonna run away. I have no answer for you, but you certainly have my sympathies.

Thank g-d my mom lives near me, and I wash by her, but it’s really not easy going back and forth with every load, pregnant and all!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:09 pm
Call Whirlpool directly. You shouldn't have the deal with the middleman. Speak to the people paying Superior. Tell them you want a voucher for a new machine stat.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Call Whirlpool directly. You shouldn't have the deal with the middleman. Speak to the people paying Superior. Tell them you want a voucher for a new machine stat.

I spent 30 min waiting to get through to them and 30 minutes trying to explain my situation and they didn’t want to take any responsibility. Only claiming that the lid lock was ordered on May28, and that they have 45 days to resolve it from then.
I kept on saying that their certified vendor was the one to break it and they need to take responsibility and that with them sending me to superior, and superior sending me to them I’m the only one losing out.
Her response “ma’am you’re not the only one losing out, there are many people waiting for parts nowadays because of corona etc.”
So I said “ well I hope your helping of each and every one of them, otherwise you should close shop”.
And she said “have a good day ma’am,” and hung up the phone!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:19 pm
I am so sorry - that's awful!

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:21 pm
Sometimes you can stick in a screw driver instead of the lock to get the machine started.

Am I even clear?

Basically, when the lid closes, there is a small piece that clicks in and that's the machine's "go ahead" sign. You can "fool" the machine, by sticking in something else....

I hope this helps for now.

ETA: it'll depend it it's a top or front loader.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:29 pm
Can you find the part somewhere else on your own? Even a used part off a used machine should help. If you are desperate enough, there are places that rent appliances - maybe rent one until this is resolved?

I sympathize - mine has been broken for ages, only the dryer works, so I just use the laundrymat a few blocks from us.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:31 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Sometimes you can stick in a screw driver instead of the lock to get the machine started.

Am I even clear?

Basically, when the lid closes, there is a small piece that clicks in and that's the machine's "go ahead" sign. You can "fool" the machine, by sticking in something else....

I hope this helps for now.

ETA: it'll depend it it's a top or front loader.

It’s a top loader without an agitator (smart).

Now I’m thinking that I should just go and order another machine...is that spoiled of me?

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:33 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Can you find the part somewhere else on your own? Even a used part off a used machine should help. If you are desperate enough, there are places that rent appliances - maybe rent one until this is resolved?

I sympathize - mine has been broken for ages, only the dryer works, so I just use the laundrymat a few blocks from us.

Why isn’t it getting fixed or replaced?
I don’t know how you do it with a laundromat. Maybe I am spoiled.
Ie. My toddler’s panties can’t wait around for when I get to the laundromat etc....

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:35 pm
Hug That's really aggravating!

I spent months without a washer/dryer after we had a huge flood in our basement. We had to wait for renovations to be finished before we could install new appliances. I used to take all our laundry to a laundromat once a week so I could get it done in 2 hours using multiple machines. After just a couple of weeks I had it down to a science and was very efficient.

If you have enough clothing to last a week and a laundromat not that far away it might be worth it to you, especially if you can bring along someone to help with the schlepping and folding. Then you only have to bring stuff over to your parents if it's an emergency that can't wait until laundromat day.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:37 pm
My mom has 2 machines so I get to do 2 at a time, and it’s across the street, so I can go home while it washes etc. so for now I think it’s better than a laundromat.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:38 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
It’s a top loader without an agitator (smart).

Now I’m thinking that I should just go and order another machine...is that spoiled of me?

Were you happy with the machine before it broke down? The new top loaders don't have good reputations.

L K

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:38 pm
Something similar happened to me, only around pesach time.
First, the dryer broke a week before pesach, and while I was waiting for warranty repair, the washer broke on erev second days as well.

I bought a second set of machines to have two sets stacked side by side. (First set used to be on the floor side by side so I had space for two stacked sets instead)

Then at some point they came to fix the washer; and then the dryer. For reference, I estimate washer repair took about a month, and dryer more like two months.

Now I have two sets of machines, and laundry for a family goes so much faster, yippee! And you have a spare machine in case one breaks (you hope both washers or dryers won’t break at the same time).

It makes a lot of sense; I remember the first time my new whirlpool washer broke in the winter when I had a number of kids kah, including a newborn. Not cool!!

gonewiththewind1

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:39 pm

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:42 pm
So frustrating! I'm happy you have an easy ish solution for doing laundry though. I hope it gets fixed soon!

rachel6543

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 10:46 pm
Since you’re getting the run around, I would see if your local news channel or newspaper has a consumer advocate. It seems like companies only take responsibility once a reporter contacts them.

I would also file a complaint against whirlpool with the BBB. They may help too.

For example, I was having issues with getting a refund from Walmart last year and I was tired of getting the run around on getting my situation resolved. After I made a complaint with the BBB my request got forwarded to a person who was actually able to help me resolve my issue. And I even got a gift card because of all the time I has wasted dealing with them.

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 11:07 pm
Superior is a heimish company, he has a lot of non Jewish techs but the owner is a frum yid living in BP, try calling them again and make sure they direct you to him.
I’m sure if you plead your case to the big boss instead of one of his underlings it’ll help them figure out something to help you.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 8:14 pm
After 1.5 months they fixed the machine in July, while I was away for the summer.
Last week it broke again, they came down and are again giving me the runaround that the part is out of stock etc.
THis machine was bought in September of 2020 mind you!!

I couldn’t take it anymore, I just walked into a store yesterday and ordered myself a new LG machine.
I hope I’ll have better mazel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics