Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Vanilla is by far my least favorite ice cream flavor.
1  2  3  Next

Do you like vanilla ice cream?
No, it's too cloyingly sweet  
 5%  [ 8 ]
No, I don't like the vanilla bean itself  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Yes, I love it and it's my favorite  
 35%  [ 51 ]
Yes, but I prefer other flavors  
 37%  [ 53 ]
DO NOT DARE INSULT VANILLA! WHAT DO YOU EVEN MEAN, IT'S THE BEST OUT THERE! ICE CREAM IS SUPPOSED TO BE SWEET, YOU MONSTER!  
 12%  [ 18 ]
Other/Neutral  
 7%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 142

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 8:56 am
I hate when an ice cream product is only available in vanilla or variations of vanilla such as cookies n' cream or half vanilla half chocolate. (This opinion extends to non ice cream foods like Oreos and black and white cookies as well.) There's nothing to balance out the sweetness. Vanilla is supposed to be the neutral flavor that everyone likes. Does anyone else not like it?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:14 am
I don't like it but didn't vote. It's too plain for me. I don't dislike it, but it's not worth the calories IMO. I wouldn't eat vanilla ice cream.

I like the Snicker's flavored ice creams and wild crazy ones like that. Chocolate covered cherry ice cream. Caramel cashew ice cream 😋

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:17 am
Vanilla is my favorite!!! Like by far!

Chocolate ice cream is not creamy enough. Other flavors are even more sweet (cookies and cream, cookie dough, birthday cake) in my opinion.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:18 am
Cookies n' cream and cookie dough are just vanilla with mix ins. I'm not sure about birthday cake flavor, which I'll admit I haven't tried.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:20 am
I don’t like vanilla either. I find it such a blah flavor.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:37 am
Plain vanilla is a waste of calories. Cookie dough, breyers cookies n cream, and French silk make vanilla ice cream good. Birthday cake flavor has a food coloring taste.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:45 am
If you post an opinion you have to tell us if you're eating chalav yisrael ice cream or not. CY vanilla ice cream is milk, sugar, emulsifiers, additives and artificial flavors. If you've ever tasted ice cream made with real vanilla you'll know why it's my favorite. If you only eat CY try making your own with quality ingredients. The cy stuff they sell doesn't deserve to be called vanilla ice cream. The premium cy just has extra fat, don't bother. If you're going to suffer the calories at least enjoy the sublime deliciousness of the real thing.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:49 am
I tried my old favorite ice cream flavor-mint chocolate chip, and discovered that at some point in the 10 years since I last tried it, it fell out of favor (flavor?Wink. I like vanilla soft serve ice cream with hot chocolate on top best.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:51 am
Plain vanilla is a canvas. French vanilla is always superior, especially when you can see the little specks of vanilla bean.

From there, let your imagination run wild! It's not just about toppings, either.

Let it get slightly softened, just enough that you can stir it with some effort. Swirl in your favorite flavors, and then you can make your own gourmet mixes. Refreeze as soon as you get your blend right. You don't want to the ice cream to lose it's structure.

Apparently, in Israel mint chocolate chip ice cream is not a thing. I've searched high and low for 6 years, to no avail. I've heard rumors about a shop in Tel Aviv that makes their own, but I'm not traveling for 2 hours for an ice cream cone.

Mint liqueur and finely chopped dark chocolate work just as well when you add it to vanilla.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Ice cream Very Happy

(I also make my own fruit sorbet and granita. The commercial ones are cloyingly sweet, and I wonder how much, if any, fruit is actually in there.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
If you post an opinion you have to tell us if you're eating chalav yisrael ice cream or not. CY vanilla ice cream is milk, sugar, emulsifiers, additives and artificial flavors. If you've ever tasted ice cream made with real vanilla you'll know why it's my favorite. If you only eat CY try making your own with quality ingredients. The cy stuff they sell doesn't deserve to be called vanilla ice cream. The premium cy just has extra fat, don't bother. If you're going to suffer the calories at least enjoy the sublime deliciousness of the real thing.

It's CY but like I said it's not specific to ice cream.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:55 am
I'm a vanilla lover though I wouldn't say it's my absolute favorite as is unless it's a really good quality vanilla. I tend to like flavors that start with a vanilla base and build on that but also flavors like mint, coffee, maple etc. Fruit flavors I'm less keen about although again - if we're talking about actual pieces of fruit mixed into a vanilla base that makes them more appealing to me.
What I really don't like is chocolate flavor ice cream and/or any variations or mix ins with it.
I find the chocolate overwhelming, usually not sweet enough and just not appealing.
I love chocolate as a candy and as a flavor in baked goods it's OK, but in ice cream it just leaves me cold (no pun intended Wink)

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 9:57 am
Vanilla is an excellent base for toppings and syrups. By itself, it's not so interesting.

blessedflower

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:09 am
I would vote no. Though I do like it mixed with other flavors.
I did once have vanilla ice cream in a restaurant where the chef told me he made it himself with vanilla beans. It was the best I've cream I had in my life. It had specks of vanilla in it. Wow
Bought vanilla or even home made is a big no no for me. I would love to make with real vanilla beans

scruffy

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:12 am
High quality vanilla is totally a flavor, and a good one.

My fave is mint chocolate chip though.

Will I get myself banned from this site if I admit I can't stand chocolate ice cream?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:18 am
High quality vanilla has a richer vanilla flavor, but vanilla still doesn't have the edge necessary to balance out sweetness. A vanilla ice cream with half the sugar might be good, but the sugar is necessary to keep it from getting crunchy.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 11:42 am
Are you eating really good vanilla ice cream? Because in my experience, high quality vanilla is absolutely delicious.

If you use strong flavors and mix-ins, then you can disguise an inferior ice cream.

I have very positive feelings and memories of good vanilla ice cream. My mother would buy me vanilla ice cream with the black vanilla flecks and explain how that was a sign of good vanilla ice cream. We used to go to the Horn & Hardart and the ice cream came in little Dixie cups and I would get to put the nickel in to retrieve.

My experience with ice cream is that even with strongly flavored ice cream, there is a HUGE difference in the taste between cheap ice cream and good ice cream. The cheap ice cream doesn't taste as good and the texture is off.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

I would make a poll, Im super curious to see what percentage of Ima's on this site eat cholov stam ice cream over cholov yisroel. Kashrus-wise

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:14 pm
scruffy wrote:
High quality vanilla is totally a flavor, and a good one.

My fave is mint chocolate chip though.

Will I get myself banned from this site if I admit I can't stand chocolate ice cream?

Same here! Mint chocolate chip is my favorite, but I love good vanilla ice cream, and will have coffee ice cream on occasion as well. Chocolate? Not so much.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:18 pm
I hate overly sweet foods and I love vanilla ice cream.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:28 pm
other thread wrote:
No, birth control. Imagine passing the horror on.

Crying
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen