Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Vanilla is by far my least favorite ice cream flavor.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you like vanilla ice cream?
No, it's too cloyingly sweet  
 5%  [ 8 ]
No, I don't like the vanilla bean itself  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Yes, I love it and it's my favorite  
 35%  [ 51 ]
Yes, but I prefer other flavors  
 37%  [ 53 ]
DO NOT DARE INSULT VANILLA! WHAT DO YOU EVEN MEAN, IT'S THE BEST OUT THERE! ICE CREAM IS SUPPOSED TO BE SWEET, YOU MONSTER!  
 12%  [ 18 ]
Other/Neutral  
 7%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 142

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:43 pm
I enjoy vanilla, but only if it's quality ice cream. I find the cheap vanillas to indeed be too sweet and blah, but high quality vanilla ice cream is delicious. It's not my favorite, but I won't turn it down.

Out of curiosity, why are there so many amothers on a board about ice cream? Hardly seems necessary, no?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:56 pm
Maybe ice cream isn't as important to you as it is to other people. (I happen not to be able to eat real ice cream right now, so I'm talking about it instead.)

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe ice cream isn't as important to you as it is to other people. (I happen not to be able to eat real ice cream right now, so I'm talking about it instead.)

No I meant why the reason for the anonymity. I would never ask why discuss ice cream at all. Ice cream is a very important topic of conversation.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:07 pm
As you can see, it's a very unpopular opinion. There are about six of us, and I don't want to be identified IRL.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:11 pm
I almost never met an ice cream I didn't like, but vanilla is the classic. Other flavors can mask poor quality; the busier and stronger the flavor, the worse quality it can disguise. Vanilla, otoh, being mild and subtle, masks nothing and allows the true quality, be it good or bad, to show through. There is hardly a flavor or add-in with which it does not marry well, but it works beautifully all on its own.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:13 pm
I almost never met an ice cream I didn't like, but vanilla is the classic. Other flavors can mask poor quality; the busier and stronger the flavor, the worse quality it can disguise. Vanilla, otoh, being mild and subtle, masks nothing and allows the true quality, be it good or bad, to show through. There is hardly a flavor or add-in with which it does not marry well, but it works beautifully all on its own.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:18 pm
"Mild and subtle" meaning it's basically nothing. (Though I find that the vanilla is often way too strong and overpowering.)

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:50 pm
I own an ice cream company. We don’t carry vanilla and ppl are always asking!

(Anonymous cos I don’t want ppl to figure out who I am on my username)

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
If you post an opinion you have to tell us if you're eating chalav yisrael ice cream or not. CY vanilla ice cream is milk, sugar, emulsifiers, additives and artificial flavors. If you've ever tasted ice cream made with real vanilla you'll know why it's my favorite. If you only eat CY try making your own with quality ingredients. The cy stuff they sell doesn't deserve to be called vanilla ice cream. The premium cy just has extra fat, don't bother. If you're going to suffer the calories at least enjoy the sublime deliciousness of the real thing.

Not surprising since so much *kosher* food is really awful quality. It would not be considered palatable to most people who weren't kosher.

I think the most egregious would be Chinese food since kosher Chinese food at a restaurant is essentially the kind of low quality fast food Chinese sold at places like Panda Express. Tuna and salmon can be good in sushi but most of the other sushi concoctions at kosher sushi places is similarly not very good - especially the ones made with fake crab.

ETA - I am not criticizing home cooking as that can be delicious but kosher restaurants for the most part know they have a captive audience and so the standards are not very high since they have little competition for the "gourmet" food.

Of course kosher deli is delicious as are the traditional "Jewish" soul foods like good rye, good challah, all of the fish type of appetizing (lox, whitefish, sable, herring etc.)

healthymom1

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:57 pm
Mint chocolate chip
Snickerdoodle
Peanut butter

So many better flavors out there

Vanilla is good as a base for things. But I’d choose something else if there was an option

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:05 pm
OP, what flavors DO you like?

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:06 pm
I don't like plain vanilla ice cream unless it's being served over a molten chocolate cake or the like. I do enjoy vanilla with mix-ins though. I'm not such a big fan of plain chocolate ice cream either even though I love chocolate. I'm more of a Ben and Jerry's fan with all the interesting flavors.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:14 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Not surprising since so much *kosher* food is really awful quality. It would not be considered palatable to most people who weren't kosher.

I think the most egregious would be Chinese food since kosher Chinese food at a restaurant is essentially the kind of low quality fast food Chinese sold at places like Panda Express. Tuna and salmon can be good in sushi but most of the other sushi concoctions at kosher sushi places is similarly not very good - especially the ones made with fake crab.

ETA - I am not criticizing home cooking as that can be delicious but kosher restaurants for the most part know they have a captive audience and so the standards are not very high since they have little competition for the "gourmet" food.

Of course kosher deli is delicious as are the traditional "Jewish" soul foods like good rye, good challah, all of the fish type of appetizing (lox, whitefish, sable, herring etc.)

Not nice to bash kosher food as a whole

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:16 pm
imasinger wrote:
OP, what flavors DO you like?

Chocolate, especially intense chocolate
Coffee
Cheesecake flavor
Fruit flavors
Mint
Pistachio

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Chocolate, especially intense chocolate
Coffee
Cheesecake flavor
Fruit flavors
Mint
Pistachio

I remember when pistachio had real pistachios in it... now they have almonds! 😛

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Not nice to bash kosher food as a whole

I am critiquing kosher restaurants and much prepared kosher foods - especially those which are not traditional kosher cuisines.

That is not criticizing kosher food as a whole.

If you think that kosher restaurants are as good as the equivalent non-kosher restaurant it is because you have nothing to compare it against.

Some of the kosher steak places can be acceptable because meat is meat by and large and the preparations are generally simple just as they are in non-kosher steak houses which are not generally considered to be temples of haute cuisine.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:29 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
If you post an opinion you have to tell us if you're eating chalav yisrael ice cream or not. CY vanilla ice cream is milk, sugar, emulsifiers, additives and artificial flavors. If you've ever tasted ice cream made with real vanilla you'll know why it's my favorite. If you only eat CY try making your own with quality ingredients. The cy stuff they sell doesn't deserve to be called vanilla ice cream. The premium cy just has extra fat, don't bother. If you're going to suffer the calories at least enjoy the sublime deliciousness of the real thing.

I make my own ice cream using cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. I still prefer other flavours.

But, I find kids often prefer vanilla.

My pet peeve is how so many ice cream flavours nowadays don't even make good fruit flavours. Its all cookies and cream and caramel and chocolate.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 2:32 pm
Raisin wrote:
I make my own ice cream using cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. I still prefer other flavours.

But, I find kids often prefer vanilla.

My pet peeve is how so many ice cream flavours nowadays don't even make good fruit flavours. Its all cookies and cream and caramel and chocolate.

I used to love Peach and it is no longer available.

A good strawberry with real strawberries is also delicious.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 3:31 pm
Although I'm fond of mint chocolate chip, I love vanilla with fudge ripple, chocolate chips, or a bar with chocolate coating. Or on top of apple pie.

Or I'll get a vanilla greek yogurt with the magic chocolate sauce that turns into hard topping.

Alas I am limited to either frozen yogurt or pareve, plus I have to watch my carbs. But Mehadrin makes a yummy chocolate covered yogurt (alas, with artificial sweetener. I wish, wish they'd do a stevia/coconut sugar version). Burlywood: are you listening????

And So Delicious makes a chocolate dipped coconut ice cream bar with healthy sweeteners (no sugar) def not as good as milchig but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I own an ice cream company. We don’t carry vanilla and ppl are always asking!

(Anonymous cos I don’t want ppl to figure out who I am on my username)

Why not?

I love vanilla. But I love it with mix ins more. Fudge ripple, moose track, cookie dough etc
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen