Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
A Doona literally is a stroller
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:44 pm
hodeez wrote:
My judgment is for the people who HAVE to get a bugaboo and doona because it's the 11th commandment for them. Not because it's safe or convenient or whatever, but because they need to spend money they don't have on a stroller just to be "with it". I guess this is a discussion for another time but the whole culture just irks me.

Dear Hodeez and others judging people who get Bugaboos and Doona stroller,
I have both. Not because I'm stylish and want to be 'in', and we don't have the means.
We got them because it is the one stroller that serves the needs we need it for.
I'll explain myself so that you and others can see there is another side to every coin and every story.
I have a special needs child and then another child. Both still need to be in in stroller. The special need child hits the other one randomly, so I can't have them sit close to each other. Looking into options, the double Bugaboo stroller is the only one that you can turn around each seat in a different direction, which serves our purpose best. It was also funded by the state through our budget, being that it is a need for this special child.
The doona was purchased because we needed a car seat and a stroller for our newborn and this was more cost effective than buying two separate items. Also, we live in a tiny apartment and don't have room for a stroller in the house, and we don't have storage area. I won't leave it outdoors in a public complex. Our baby also rested best in this position because he has severe reflux and is head needs to be elevated all the time. Bh it did not affect his head. This serves our needs best.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They consider it a stroller, so they would never say it's to be used in place of a stroller. Same as any other product. Find me a statement where Alderfer's Poultry Farm claims their product is to be used in place of eggs.

Show me a slice of cheese pretending to be an egg and Ill show you a Doona

amother
Green

SafeAtLast wrote:
They don't buy a baby car seat though.
So take off $200.
Is a carriage for $300 okay with you?
(That's how much a Maclaran costs too.)
Anything less than that is trash in a year.

I used my bugaboo for 5 years on average a few times daily. That would be around 25 cents per walk. Sometimes expensive things are worth the money.

People will always try keeping up with Jones'.
No reason to poke fun of a good item because some people can't afford it.

That's exactly my point...people who would otherwise buy a safer option for strolling, like the Maclaren, would not because they already spent the money on the Doona.

amother
Green

TECHNICAL DETAILS
Product dimensions:
Folded: 23.6 X 17.3 X 26 inches
Unfolded: 39 X 17.3 X 32.2 inches
Product weight: 16.5 lbs
Suitability: Rearward facing infant car seat
Group: 0+
Recommended infant weight: 4-35 lbs
Recommended infant height: up to 32 inches

LATCH Base:
Product dimensions: 9.6 / 15.7 / 20.9 inches
Product weight: 10 lbs
Suitability: Compatible with the Doona Car Seat.
Intended for Rear-Facing use only.

amother
OP

amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Show me a slice of cheese pretending to be an egg and Ill show you a Doona

I'm reasonably certain that a Doona is neither a slice of cheese nor an egg imposter.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
I have both. Not because I'm stylish and want to be 'in', and we don't have the means.
We got them because it is the one stroller that serves the needs we need it for.
I'll explain myself so that you and others can see there is another side to every coin and every story.
I have a special needs child and then another child. Both still need to be in in stroller. The special need child hits the other one randomly, so I can't have them sit close to each other. Looking into options, the double Bugaboo stroller is the only one that you can turn around each seat in a different direction, which serves our purpose best. It was also funded by the state through our budget, being that it is a need for this special child.
The doona was purchased because we needed a car seat and a stroller for our newborn and this was more cost effective than buying two separate items. Also, we live in a tiny apartment and don't have room for a stroller in the house, and we don't have storage area. I won't leave it outdoors in a public complex. Our baby also rested best in this position because he has severe reflux and is head needs to be elevated all the time. Bh it did not affect his head. This serves our needs best.

Sorry, just a little confused.. You are saying you have the bugaboo so you can use it as the stroller for both kids but got the doona because you needed a stroller for newborn and didnt have room in the apartment for a stroller? (where is the bugaboo?)

Also, since Doona is infant car seat you will just have to buy a new car seat once your baby outgrows it. Makes more sense to buy a convertible car seat that will just last from birth till your baby is no longer in a car seat at all, no?

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
TECHNICAL DETAILS
Product dimensions:
Folded: 23.6 X 17.3 X 26 inches
Unfolded: 39 X 17.3 X 32.2 inches
Product weight: 16.5 lbs
Suitability: Rearward facing infant car seat
Recommended infant weight: 4-35 lbs
Recommended infant height: up to 32 inches

LATCH Base:
Product dimensions: 9.6 / 15.7 / 20.9 inches
Product weight: 10 lbs
Suitability: Compatible with the Doona Car Seat.
Intended for Rear-Facing use only.

Exactly, this is what I mentioned earlier. Also please notice for the base- Compatible with the Doona Car Seat

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:56 pm

I have no judgment for you, you clearly need what you have! It's not that I see women walking down the streets with their doonas and bugaboos and think they're primadonnas. It's just the whole shtick of "what color bugaboo will I get" instead of "which stroller will I get" irks me.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm reasonably certain that a Doona is neither a slice of cheese nor an egg imposter.

LOL. I got your point about a company that sells eggs would not claim they are egg substitutes when they are obviously eggs. My point was, the Doona is clearly a car seat, not a stroller. If you found a cheese company claiming the cheese were eggs, that would be a like what Doona is doing.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:57 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Everyone I know who got a bugaboo got one for the quality. Most people I know got theirs second hand.

And the status.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 12:58 pm

Of course there are exceptions to the rule and people that have it purely because they need it. But it's foolish to deny that it's absurd what's going on
in certain communities with "must haves" and keeping up with the latest trends.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:17 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
LOL. I got your point about a company that sells eggs would not claim they are egg substitutes when they are obviously eggs. My point was, the Doona is clearly a car seat, not a stroller. If you found a cheese company claiming the cheese were eggs, that would be a like what Doona is doing.

It is a convertible car seat/stroller.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:21 pm
It’s a car seat.
And it’s not a carriage.
People that don’t drive or own a car own one too.
The kid is sitting in one position and can’t sit up. Many kids are past the age of half laying for hours. They keep trying to sit up
Flat head syndrome is now called “doona baby syndrome”. I told two people that their babys are getting a really flat head.
There is no room to put bags meaning it’s not meant to go on a full shopping spree with
It’s basically for convenience if you use your car a lot But people got confused😀

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:23 pm
A baby carriage typically has the baby lying down, while a stroller generally has the baby in an upright or sitting position.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:24 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
And the status.

I live in Israel. I am staying here. Most people I know aren't cutesy kollel wives who spend two years here on their parents bill eating out every night and living in a three room apartment that costs double the rent as most other places.

The people I know are truly living the Israeli lives and scraping by each month.

No one here cares about status. Most of my friends don't even wear wigs. Or own a car. Or go on vacation or could afford a hotel stay for more than one night in a budget hotel.

Most people I know own a second hand bugaboo or uppababy for the quality and push. So they can push it to the store two miles away and back and carry all their groceries. Or treck through construction, brick sidewalks, and staircases, and going up and down busses constantly.

Status? If you travel around here most Israelis probably don't even know what that is. And people get super cheap strollers from secular people in Tel Aviv who used it for one kid and for their second the want the newest model.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:29 pm
hodeez wrote:
I have no judgment for you, you clearly need what you have! It's not that I see women walking down the streets with their doonas and bugaboos and think they're primadonnas. It's just the whole shtick of "what color bugaboo will I get" instead of "which stroller will I get" irks me.

You sound bitter.
A bugaboo is a phenomenal and smooth stroller and I love using it.
I don’t know where you live but in Brooklyn where it is very popular, many people- including me- who own it don’t drive or even if they do they choose not drive locally because of the traffic congestion and this stroller is cheaper than a few months worth of gas and toll.
It is probably the cost of a lease and insurance for 2 months and I use it daily for a few years. So look at it as my car and you’ll stop being so worked up

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:33 pm
I looked up the patent. It's for a "Baby safety car seat convertible into a rollable baby seat"

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 1:34 pm
A stroller is a type of rollable baby seat.

amother
Green

amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
You sound bitter.
A bugaboo is a phenomenal and smooth stroller and I love using it.
I don’t know where you live but in Brooklyn where it is very popular, many people- including me- who own it don’t drive or even if they do they choose not drive locally because of the traffic congestion and this stroller is cheaper than a few months worth of gas and toll.
It is probably the cost of a lease and insurance for 2 months and I use it daily for a few years. So look at it as my car and you’ll stop being so worked up

You don't need to pay as much money for a stroller as for a car...save some of that money for the expensive Brooklyn rent, or put it towards a down payment for a home out in the suburbs.

amother
Green

amother [ OP ] wrote:
A stroller is a type of rollable baby seat.

Yes, but a rollable baby seat is not a type of stroller...
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics