Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
A Doona literally is a stroller
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:37 am
hodeez wrote:
It's a stroller in the sense that it strolls, but it does not allow the child to lay back flat, so it's not a "stroller", it's a wheeled car seat.

Where is it written that a stroller must lie flat? For an infant incapable of sitting up, there is the pram/ perambulator. A stroller is the next step up, for a baby capable of sitting up.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:37 am
The Doona clearly fits the definition of a stroller, though.

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
You sound bitter.
A bugaboo is a phenomenal and smooth stroller and I love using it.
I don’t know where you live but in Brooklyn where it is very popular, many people- including me- who own it don’t drive or even if they do they choose not drive locally because of the traffic congestion and this stroller is cheaper than a few months worth of gas and toll.
It is probably the cost of a lease and insurance for 2 months and I use it daily for a few years. So look at it as my car and you’ll stop being so worked up

Ha do I sound bitter? I was going for annoyed and anti-establishment Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:39 am
The definition of stroller is a seat on wheels in which a baby or young child can be pushed.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The Doona clearly fits the definition of a stroller, though.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but no matter how you try to twist it, it's not a stroller. It's just not. No matter how many times you say it is.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
You don't need to pay as much money for a stroller as for a car...save some of that money for the expensive Brooklyn rent, or put it towards a down payment for a home out in the suburbs.

Ah I didn’t realize that the $300 I’ll save on this- which I don’t consider a luxury because I cannot walk a few miles around town with any other stroller and still come home feeling like a mentch- will make or break the $150,000 needed for a down payment or the $40,000 yearly rent.
And on another note, very often the stroller is gifted by the in-laws or in some cases they give XX amount of money towards it and you can add a bit and get something extremely useful that’s fantastic quality.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The definition of stroller is a seat on wheels in which a baby or young child can be pushed.

No, actually, there are legal definitions for child and baby equipment like strollers and car seats.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
No, actually, there are legal definitions for child and baby equipment like strollers and car seats.

I said it's literally a stroller, not that it's legally a stroller.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
Ah I didn’t realize that the $300 I’ll save on this- which I don’t consider a luxury because I cannot walk a few miles around town with any other stroller and still come home feeling like a mentch- will make or break the $150,000 needed for a down payment or the $40,000 yearly rent.
And on another note, very often the stroller is gifted by the in-laws or in some cases they give XX amount of money towards it and you can add a bit and get something extremely useful that’s fantastic quality.

So don't save the $300, or the $1,000 from your bugaboo 5 years ago, or the hundreds of dollars from your DH's new shtreimel/Borsalino or the other hundreds of dollars from all the other frequent and "necessary" luxuries. And then we wonder why our community has financial problems.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but no matter how you try to twist it, it's not a stroller. It's just not. No matter how many times you say it is.

Quote:
ASTM F833-13b defines a “stroller” as a wheeled vehicle to transport children usually from infancy to 36 months of age. Children are transported generally in a sitting-up or semi-reclined position. The motive power is supplied by a person while pushing on a handle attached to the stroller. Carriages, on the other hand, are wheeled vehicles to transport an infant, usually in a lying down position.

The Doona actually does fit the definition of a stroller.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I said it's literally a stroller, not that it's legally a stroller.

The only thing in the world that is "literally a stroller" is a person who is strolling. Beyond that, since this is a consumer product, you're dealing with the market definition which depends on the consumer product category.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:48 am
The semantics of this discussion are ridiculous. You can put your baby in a toy wagon if that makes you happy, and call it a stroller because it has a seat and wheels.

The point that some people are trying to bring out is that it’s not a safe vehicle for your baby for extended periods of time, unlike your standard “stroller.” The angle that the baby must sit in is akin to a car seat (because it is fundamentally a car seat!) and has risks of positional asphyxiation. Take it or leave it, call it whatever you like. It’s a “stroller” that poses health risks to your baby if you don’t use it as advised. Feel free to google for all the exact details.

That position is safe for a car seat only because the risks of positional asphyxiation are lower than the risk of a child getting hurt in a car crash. And it is recommended that you take your child out by the two hour mark because of the asphyxiation risks.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:49 am
I don't care what point people are trying to make. I started this thread to say that a Doona is a stroller. I never endorsed it or claimed that people should use it. People who are discussing the safety of it are the ones who are off topic.

amother
Green

amother [ OP ] wrote:
The Doona actually does fit the definition of a stroller.

Absolutely not...as it clearly says on their website, it's only for use until 15 months of age.

amother
Pansy

LovesHashem wrote:
Everyone I know who got a bugaboo got one for the quality. Most people I know got theirs second hand.

I just bought a 2nd hand bugaboo chameleon from ebay, happens to be from a yid! . It does need a good clean. I might have it professionally cleaned but I paid £80 for it, a joke! The wheels look like new, very unused outdoors. It looks like they used it mainly to put the baby down indoors. It's a nice denim fabric, I want to buy the fur for £20 to spruce if up a bit. It's my 5th baby after a big break. I'm excited! I also bought a 2nd hand doona as I sold mine when dd was 1.5. Looks brand new, the people had it professionally cleaned, the wheels look new too. £120! Real bargain lol. We don't have the money for new stuff now.

Eta: the doona is amazing for car pool, fetching a kid quickly, going in and out of stores from the car. It made my life so much easier after my last baby, hence why I wanted it again.

amother
OP

amother [ Green ] wrote:
Absolutely not...as it clearly says on their website, it's only for use until 15 months of age.

usually from infancy to 36 months.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:50 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
So don't save the $300, or the $1,000 from your bugaboo 5 years ago, or the hundreds of dollars from your DH's new shtreimel/Borsalino or the other hundreds of dollars from all the other frequent and "necessary" luxuries. And then we wonder why our community has financial problems.

You dont begin to know me so why are you so judge mental?
I don’t owe you an explanation as to what I do with my money but no we don’t spend frivolously but I can decide that a bugaboo is a necessity for me if I don’t drive and your eyes don’t have to be seething with jealousy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:51 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
They don't buy a baby car seat though.
So take off $200.
Is a carriage for $300 okay with you?
(That's how much a Maclaran costs too.)
Anything less than that is trash in a year.

I used my bugaboo for 5 years on average a few times daily. That would be around 25 cents per walk. Sometimes expensive things are worth the money.

People will always try keeping up with Jones'.
No reason to poke fun of a good item because some people can't afford it.

Oh really? I never spent that much on a stroller.
16 years ago, I got a Kolcraft Universal Car seat carrier for like 60. I still use it 9 kids later and have also lent it out. It has a basket and pushes well and has the car seat more inclined than a Doona.
I've used it with 3 car seats now because car seats expire. This doesn't.
I also got a stroller for about 150 that I used for 7 kids. I paid 81 for my next stroller which I got at a warehouse clearance new and is still decent but I prefer using a stroller I got for 29.80 after tax at an auction (stroller is worth about 200).
I got a Combi double for 210 when I had my second and it still is in good condition though I haven't used a double in like forever.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
The only thing in the world that is "literally a stroller" is a person who is strolling. Beyond that, since this is a consumer product, you're dealing with the market definition which depends on the consumer product category.

The dictionary definition is accurate in this case. The Doona is literally a stroller by that definition.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Where is it written that a stroller must lie flat? For an infant incapable of sitting up, there is the pram/ perambulator. A stroller is the next step up, for a baby capable of sitting up.

No one who has a Doona is using a pram instead for the first few to several months of their baby's life to avoid the issue of baby not being flat.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics