Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I run a No-Iron household. AMA!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 3:31 pm
Do I even have an iron?
DH uses non iron shirts and I wash his pants (cotton not dress) on delicates and hang dry. He looks put together and doesn’t think it looks off/bad/messy. His suits and kittel and once in a blue moon something of mine like a blazer go to the cleaners. I don’t really buy kids clothes that need ironing.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 3:57 pm
Same. But I have some finicky and particular sons who iron their own clothes if they feel it’s necessary. My DH irons his shirts in the summer and in the winter he wears sweaters over his shirts , so that hides wrinkles.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:14 pm
Havent owned an iron in almost 2 decades. We hang things that might otherwise need ironing.

fbc

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 4:36 pm
Omg my mil irons like EVERYTHING!!! I do not. We are part of the pearler bead club Wink my husband either brings to the cleaners- or I put the shirts in the dryer with a few ice cubes for like maximum 2 minutes (creates steam, which gets the creases out!), And then we hang the shirts!

raich

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:01 pm
Looks like I have some great company!

I had thought that I'd get some aghast responses from fancy ladies. Oh well lol

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:04 pm
Lol. I don't iron. I take out the iron maybe twice a year when I have something that needs it. I do drive myself crazy though with laying clothes flat to dry and hanging them just so (no clothes in the dryer, just underwear), so that the garment dries without creases.

ETA: I'm glad dh gave his shirts in to the cleaners when he was single because he still does that now.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

dena613

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:25 pm
I also use my iron for perler beads.
And a few of my kid' weekday button down shirts. Mistake to have bought them. HAa.

But what is starch liquid?

Dh shirts (noniron obviously)don't look so good, truthfully. Is that because they sit in the hamper for a week and get extra crumpled?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:33 pm
dena613 wrote:
I also use my iron for perler beads.
And a few of my kid' weekday button down shirts. Mistake to have bought them. HAa.

But what is starch liquid?

Dh shirts (noniron obviously)don't look so good, truthfully. Is that because they sit in the hamper for a week and get extra crumpled?

I have nothing but praise for my MIL, who taught my DH to iron his own shirts. (He cooks, too!)

imanotmommy

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:38 pm
raich wrote:
Looks like I have some great company!

I had thought that I'd get some aghast responses from fancy ladies. Oh well lol

Surprised
You must at least iron all the handkerchiefs!

raich

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:56 pm
dena613 wrote:

I think it depends on the company of non-iron shirts you buy. We have had a few companies before we found the right ones. I find that if you take them right out of the dryer and hang them up warm, they come out the best. Though my kids' shirts I skip the dryer totally and just hang flat on a drying rack to dry, so that whatever stains may be left after washing don't set in forever Laugh

yaye

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 5:58 pm
Only perler beads in our house also. But I try to wait as long as possible, and hopefully they get messed up before I iron them Wink

Also I taught my kids to do it

teachkids

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:08 pm
We also don't own an iron! I have a handheld steamer if something gets wrinkled, but generally shirts come out of the drier slightly damp and get hung in the bathroom.

sara_s

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:10 pm
We got rid of our iron! It took up so much space and we barely used it. My DHs shirts are non iron (best buy ever!) and I try to take them out of the dryer when still warm.
Every now and the boys have shirts that look a bit shlumpy not ironed, so I try to buy polyester blend for them.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:11 pm
raich wrote:
I don't even know where my iron is! I maybe used it just a couple of times in more than a decade.

Everyone looks clean and neat. You'd never know I don't iron anything.

DH sends his suits to the cleaners but everything else the entire family wears is washed at home (including Shabbos shirts.)

I have no cleaning help.

Come join me in this liberated lifestyle! Happy to share all my laundry hacks. Very Happy

Same except I do have cleaning help, but she doesn’t iron either.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:15 pm
raich wrote:
I think it depends on the company of non-iron shirts you buy. We have had a few companies before we found the right ones. I find that if you take them right out of the dryer and hang them up warm, they come out the best. Though my kids' shirts I skip the dryer totally and just hang flat on a drying rack to dry, so that whatever stains may be left after washing don't set in forever Laugh

Also how long they sit before getting transferred to dry, how long they dry for, and how quickly they get hung up. When I do my husbands shirts, I set times so I don’t forget.

bsy

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 6:54 pm
I dont own an iron either.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:03 pm
I don’t iron. I gave mine away.

Everything looks just lovely. Even my 100% cotton l white linen looks good- it’s just a matter of a few tricks.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:28 pm
DH only wears wool tsitzis which cost more than $7 to have washed and pressed. With Covid salary cuts, I'm not spending that kind of money for such a thing.

jj1236

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:31 pm
This is so funny because I just bought an iron and finally feel like an adult! I have certain skirts and shirts that I haven't worn in so long because they always needed to be ironed. Owning an iron to iron my things is so freeing. My husband's stuff he's always sent to the dry cleaners.

gyf45

Post Tue, Jun 08 2021, 7:46 pm
How do you all manage with cotton? My kids summer clothing is like 75 percent cotton - they wld look so wrinkly if I didn’t iron maybe it’s bec I don’t put any tshirts or pants and dresses in the dryer? Is that how they come out wrinkle free?
My highlight this year was getting shabbos robes that are iron free. Yay
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics