Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
What do you consider a healthy meal?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:41 pm
For children specifically. Aged between meal that will meet all their nutritional requirements.

For some reason I can't seem to figure this one out myself. Please help me. I need some ideas

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:44 pm
Protein, whole grain carb, a veg

Example: chicken, brown rice and butternut squash

Turkey chili, barley pilaf, cut veggies

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:48 pm
Anything that my children will willingly eat without a fight…..I have a few picky eaters, one with an eating disorder, so whatever they want I consider healthy.

lucky14

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
Protein, whole grain carb, a veg

Example: chicken, brown rice and butternut squash

Turkey chili, barley pilaf, cut veggies

This.

more ideas:
Pasta with cheese and cut up veggies
chicken, roasted potatoes (or butternut squash fries), steamed/roasted/sauteed broccoli, snow peas, zucchini, etc
veggie lasagna and some cut up fruit

Not saying every meal at my house looks like this but this is what I consider to be a healthy meal.

But of course like someone else said if your child is extreme picky or has some other eating/feeding disorder that totally changes things.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:54 pm
Meat patties (there is usually bread in the patty so no need to add additional bread with the meal) with lentil soup (lots of carrots and other veggies in soup).

Chicken with roasted veggies (potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potato, squash, etc) can add rice. Chicken (and even vegetables) can be cooked, baked, broiled, grilled, etc so its always different. Plus, shnitzel and other ways of cooking it makes it less boring if needed.

Meatballs and spaghetti. Can add salad or vegetable soup if needed.

Tuna or egg salad with vegetables/salad and bread.

Asian inspired food like sesame chicken with rice and veggies.

Generally its a protein, carb, and vegetable. Salad and vegetable soup is always good and filling and can be added to any meal if anyone wants. Can add fruit for dessert if anyone is still hungry which is not usually the case as the meals are very filling.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 2:00 pm
I serve a protein, carb and vegetable.

Sunday night was make your own poke bowl with sushi rice, kani, tofu, avocado, green cabbage. I let everyone pick their own toppings. This is a favorite dinner. I use whatever ingredients I have on hand.

Monday night we had chicken adobo, baked potatoes and sauteed mushrooms.

Last night was beef tacos, taco shells and broccoli

Tonight is Chicken enchiladas with corn and roasted peppers wrapped in a tortilla and baked with salsa.

Tomorrow night is usually my least balanced meal since its erev shabbos and I need a break. Either pasta or pizza from the food boxes.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 2:50 pm
Here are the popular balanced kid-friendly meals at my house:

Baked shnitzel, rice, roasted broccoli
Grilled chicken cutlets, grilled veggies (zucchini and red peppers are the favorites), roasted potatoes
Schwarma chicken, pitas, Israeli salad, hummus, pickles
Spaghetti, meatballs, fresh lettuce salad
Tacos made with half chicken/half beef blend with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, corn, etc.
Homemade grilled hamburgers with baked sweet potato fries or corn on the cob
Vegetable soup, followed by lasagna or baked ziti (they eat less pasta if partially full from healthier soup)
Homemade breaded fish with homemade french fries and cut up veggies (fish and fries both baked, not fried)
Tuna patties, baked potatoes, roasted broccoli or cauliflower

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 2:56 pm
Anything that includes a protein of some sort, a fruit and/ or vegetable, and a carb.

Example: Chicken, rice, and green beans.
Chumus sandwich and cucumbers.
Melted cheese and tomato sandwich (with or without additional veggies).
Hard-boiled egg, plain pita, orange.
Fake shnitzel sandwich with an apple.
Pasta, meatballs, tomato sauce with lots of veggies in it.
Vegetable and lentil soup with bread and chumus.
Pancakes with white cheese and any fruit or vegetable they want.

snowflake1

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:02 am
mha3484 wrote:
I serve a protein, carb and vegetable.

Sunday night was make your own poke bowl with sushi rice, kani, tofu, avocado, green cabbage. I let everyone pick their own toppings. This is a favorite dinner. I use whatever ingredients I have on hand.

Monday night we had chicken adobo, baked potatoes and sauteed mushrooms.

Last night was beef tacos, taco shells and broccoli

Tonight is Chicken enchiladas with corn and roasted peppers wrapped in a tortilla and baked with salsa.

Tomorrow night is usually my least balanced meal since its erev shabbos and I need a break. Either pasta or pizza from the food boxes.

These dinners looked delicious what is your recipe for chicken adobo,

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 12:18 pm
I believe that minimally processed, Nutrition dense food is healthiest for everyone. It’s the one thing that all the scientists no matter what their bent seem to agree upon.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 1:06 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I believe that minimally processed, Nutrition dense food is healthiest for everyone. It’s the one thing that all the scientists no matter what their bent seem to agree upon.

This. As least processed as possible, as close to the way Hashem made it, as my pediatrician puts it!

What I like to serve: protein, healthy carb, vegetable.

Some examples:
chicken, butternut squash cubes, fresh vegetables cut up
egg "pizza" (eggs, cottage cheese, vegetables, spices), mushroom barley soup
potatoes and tuna, zucchini soup
almond flour schnitzel, beets and sweet potatoes

Once a week I serve homemade whole wheat pizza with vegetable toppings.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 1:10 pm
Protein and side veggie first course. If all of that gets eaten, then (and only then!) do you offer carbs. Otherwise kids will fill up on the carbs first, and then ask to be excused from the table saying they are full.

BTDT. We used to call DD "The Starch Beast". Once she got used to the new way of plating and serving food, her eating habits improved immensely, and so did her overall behavior.

I babysit a lot, and I've found that kids who live on bread, pasta, and cheese have the most behavior problems. I love a good grilled cheese sandwich as much as the next person, but for me it's a treat just like chocolate cake. It's not a daily meal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise