Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Trend of Replacing everything in your new house...
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:36 pm
imaima wrote:
You sound like you have a Bugaboo, oh horror!!!

LOL

I plead the fifth!

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I’m one of the people who replaced almost all furniture and appliances when moving. I tried selling some old stuff second hand and donated the rest.
By the time we moved, our furniture and appliances were in used and quite abused shape and we felt that replacing them is part of the expenses of buying the house. It’s probably not something we would be willing to spend on a few years down the line just out of the blue! There’s something about doing it when you move! To us it made sense. Hope you don’t mind! Hi

On the same note, I hope you don’t keep track of any of my other expenses in life. 🤷‍♀️

You sound like a terrible person!!

I'd love to get to know you. It's nice that you're so unapologetic.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:38 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
And that’s how it should be!
Someone moving to a new apt (due to non payment) just told me she won’t be taking any of her “brown” furniture into her new home...

Not taking pots is even stranger to me

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:40 pm
We had a fire recently
I’m pining after my old stuff- I can’t even tell you
😒

amother
Tomato

Being practical, trying to save money, making products last (I.e. fix them if they break) and getting the most possible use out of them is very much not in style.

amother
Pumpkin

Crookshanks wrote:
You sound like a terrible person!!

I'd love to get to know you. It's nice that you're so unapologetic.

I think we met.
Weren’t you the one who bought my used dinette set?

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:41 pm
I think we met.
Weren’t you the one who bought my used dinette set?

No, but I bought your 1.5k Valentino stroller second hand.
It's my Shabbos stroller.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:43 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
No, but I bought your 1.5k Valentino stroller second hand.
It's my Shabbos stroller.

Wait, let’s google that stroller. Price sounds right. I might have a used bugaboo for sale soon...

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:44 pm
I’m one of the people who replaced almost all furniture and appliances when moving. I tried selling some old stuff second hand and donated the rest.
By the time we moved, our furniture and appliances were in used and quite abused shape and we felt that replacing them is part of the expenses of buying the house. It’s probably not something we would be willing to spend on a few years down the line just out of the blue! There’s something about doing it when you move! To us it made sense. Hope you don’t mind! Hi

On the same note, I hope you don’t keep track of any of my other expenses in life. 🤷‍♀️

If you borrowed money for the down payment/move and you wouldn't have replaced the furniture had you not moved, then it doesn't make sense.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:45 pm
Bugaboo is so passe. I'm literally past that. (I'm also literally an airplane.)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

Agree.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
If you borrowed money for the down payment/move and you wouldn't have replaced the furniture had you not moved, then it doesn't make sense.

I appreciate all free financial advice here but we hired our own advisors to make our decisions! 🤔

We didn’t borrow for the down payment but this is so not the point I was debating whether I should add it. It would still be a sensible decision to some even if it doesn’t make sense to you. The judgement around here is awful.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:49 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

I wouldn't take my pots. I really need new ones. But it's another thing I don't want research or spend money on.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:51 pm
I appreciate all free financial advice here but we hired our own advisors to make our decisions! 🤔

We didn’t borrow for the down payment but this is so not the point I was debating whether I should add it. It would still be a sensible decision to some even if it doesn’t make sense to you. The judgement around here is awful.

You are quite right.
Your spoiled children, on the other hand, are the worst in their class.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:52 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I wouldn't take my pots. I really need new ones. But it's another thing I don't want research or spend money on.

Gotcha!
I was wondering if the pots were “brown” to match the brown furniture

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:52 pm
I think at least some of it probably has to do with stuff being of lower quality to begin with. If all the furniture one owns was assembled out of a flat box, it might not be able to be moved without breaking or weakening, and the moving costs are higher compared to the value of the item.

nechamashifra

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:53 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Recently I’ve seen a certain acceptable trend in my circles, and it really gets me...
When someone buys/ builds themselves a new house ( which I’m sure is maxing out most people financially) the trend is to basically not take along any of your existing furniture, bedding etc.
Some even replace pots, dishes etc.

It’s become almost the expected norm.
I understand wanting to replace your items, but why not wait a bit- recoup some funding and then replace at your leisure.

It used to be that anyone buying a house would be okay with furnishing the minimum, or using their old stuff......

Someone mentioned that she’s not taking along any of her kids old games since the boxes don’t look good anymore....

Where do you live that people's furniture, bedding and dish-ware purchases are a matter of public knowledge? Is it reported in the local news?

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:55 pm

I feel like imamother will separate into threads for poor and ricch soon. Because some people just can't get over others spendinng money!!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:55 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
You are quite right.
Your spoiled children, on the other hand, are the worst in their class.

Yes their teachers claim that if they’d still be sleeping in their old beds they’d do much better. I feel bad, I’m off to buy a new couch for each child maybe that’ll help.
I hope you are enjoying the beds I donated to you! You can use them as an indoor trampoline from time to time!

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:56 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
I think at least some of it probably has to do with stuff being of lower quality to begin with. If all the furniture one owns was assembled out of a flat box, it might not be able to be moved without breaking or weakening, and the moving costs are higher compared to the value of the item.

Nothing is allowed to matter on this thread but saving money.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics