Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Trend of Replacing everything in your new house...
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Yes their teachers claim that if they’d still be sleeping in their old beds they’d do much better. I feel bad, I’m off to buy a new couch for each child maybe that’ll help.
I hope you are enjoying the beds I donated to you! You can use them as an indoor trampoline from time to time!

I can lend you mine moncler for your couch to wear

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:58 pm
I'm doing this. Most of my furniture is broken after 3 moves and lots of wear and tear. Whatever is not broken, was cheap items that are more expensive to move than to buy new (I'm moving cross-country).

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 12:58 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
I think at least some of it probably has to do with stuff being of lower quality to begin with. If all the furniture one owns was assembled out of a flat box, it might not be able to be moved without breaking or weakening, and the moving costs are higher compared to the value of the item.

Ikea furniture doesn't move well 😂

I don't think I have a single piece of furniture I would take with me.

1. It's all second hand stuff to begin with and on its way out due to wear and tear

2. Generally when you move into a new home it's because you've outgrown the old home and the old furniture! My 6 seat dining table wouldn't come with me. We need at least an 8 seater. My one couch that has has sharpie on it wouldnt fit the whole family anyway. Some of the beds are old and could use an upgrade. Some could come along for the ride.

Sometimes it's ok to let go.

Anyway it's a dream. We aren't moving anytime soon. I'm grateful for the roof above my head. And I'll be grateful for the upgrade whenever H decides we can have one.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:00 pm
imaima wrote:
I feel like imamother will separate into threads for poor and ricch soon. Because some people just can't get over others spendinng money!!!

They better be anon disabled cuz I’d never admit under my SN that I actually replaced furniture when moving!

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:03 pm
You must travel in different circles than any of the people I know.

The people I know who have moved have taken the opportunity to go through things and so they might not take all of the **** they have accumulated but they generally take everything that will be used. I have certainly never heard of replacing pots unless they are old garbage pots and so this is an opportunity to get rid of stuff that one’s inertia just kept. Moving is expensive and some items aren’t worth shlepping especially if there is no use for them. Spaces are different.

And sometimes people don’t take stuff because it can’t be used in the new place for whatever reason.

I did a gut remodel relatively recently and I had to go through every last fork and missing mate to a sock that I hoped would have turned up in the past five years. 😂 I took the opportunity to get rid of stuff. I also got rid of furniture that I couldn’t use fir whatever reason but I gave it to people who could make use of it. I am in a place where I could get the dining room set that I wanted instead of making do with one I had been given 15 years ago that I never liked. I repurposed stuff I still liked but I took the opportunity to buy stuff that worked for me and that I love. I have no debt so why is it your concern?

People are at different stages in life. When I moved to my first apartment I had to scrounge around to furnish it because I had not much money for furniture and needed everything so new stuff was limited to items that I wouldn’t want second hand like mattresses and sofas. Someone moving to a second home at a later stage is probably better off because presumably they had equity to help with down payment amd so they are probsboy ready financially to upgrade their furniture a bit.

If people are making stupid economic decisions that is their problem. But people make all kinds of stupid financial choices so why single out this.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:04 pm
Yes their teachers claim that if they’d still be sleeping in their old beds they’d do much better. I feel bad, I’m off to buy a new couch for each child maybe that’ll help.
I hope you are enjoying the beds I donated to you! You can use them as an indoor trampoline from time to time!

Were you on this thread? https://www.imamother.com/foru.....21856 Once they have their own living room, a private kitchen should definitely be included...
I pushed them all together and made a giant trampoline. '5 little monkeys' plays from my built in speaker system as a warning.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:11 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Were you on this thread? https://www.imamother.com/foru.....21856 Once they have their own living room, a private kitchen should definitely be included...
I pushed them all together and made a giant trampoline. '5 little monkeys' plays from my built in speaker system as a warning.

I’m not sure which anonymous mom I am there but I do remember that thread. Very Happy

Glad you are enjoying the furniture I left behind. If we’ll have more threads like this there will be a shortage of used furniture very soon so collect them all now!

mizle10

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:17 pm
Throwing out pots is weird to me.
Furniture, I personally bought cheap furniture in my rental. Why would I spend $$$ on a dining room set when I have no idea how big my dining room will actually be when I buy a house? What if the couch I bought is too big for the space I have in my new house or what if I buy a small couch to be safe and end up with a massive family room where we would have been able to fit a big couch my whole family can enjoy?
When I bought my house, I gave away/threw out/replaced my old cheap stuff with quality pieces I knew work in my real house.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:31 pm
I’m a pretty frugal person. Haven’t bought any new furniture in 15 yrs. our couch is really beat up (one couch for 8 ppl over 15 yrs).
Our dinette table has massive chips and cracks. Many of our dinette chairs are broken and torn.

I could replace now. But am waiting to see if we actually do move soon I’d rather buy for the new place. I hope to have more room so doesn’t make sense to buy now a smaller table or couch to fit our current space. So when we move we are going to need couch, dinette, book cases and some other items immediately.

But items that are good solid I’ll keep - bedroom furniture, dining room furniture. Food, pots, pans we’d for sure bring. (Yaakov went back for a pot - my dh lives like this trying hard not to be wasteful within reason).

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:34 pm
Now that I’m hearing responses many of them actually make sense. Re waiting to move to replace an anyway broken piece, or pieces not fitting into the new space.

So I guess many times it’s the right decision. It’s the whole revamp that I still don’t understand.
Ie no old linens and towels in the new house etc...

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:43 pm
My sister in law also doesn't like her "brown" furniture and she keeps getting more modern and updated things. The problem is when those colors will go out of style she will need the new ones and will say ugh I can't look at gray anymore

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:44 pm
I’m assuming when one renovates they move into a smaller space for a while at times.
So then you need to make the decision: what comes along, what gets thrown out and what goes into storage

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 1:52 pm
I’m one of the people who replaced almost all furniture and appliances when moving. I tried selling some old stuff second hand and donated the rest.
By the time we moved, our furniture and appliances were in used and quite abused shape and we felt that replacing them is part of the expenses of buying the house. It’s probably not something we would be willing to spend on a few years down the line just out of the blue! There’s something about doing it when you move! To us it made sense. Hope you don’t mind! Hi

On the same note, I hope you don’t keep track of any of my other expenses in life. 🤷‍♀️

I moved 13 years after I first bought all my stuff. I lived in a 700sq ft apt with 4 kids and bought minimal stuff throughout the years. One child slept in a toddler bed. Another toddler in a portacrib. My wash machine was small, specifically designed to fit under the kitchen counters. And all the stuff were OLD and worn. I never replaced anything and scrimped and saved for when iyh I will be able to move to a bigger place where nicer stuff mattered more to me then. In small, cramped quarters things get ruined faster. So, except for one high riser and my master beds I didnt take anything along. Nothing went to the garbage though and it was either sold, or given away to family members.

I hope no one begrudges my purchases or the fact that my kids were finally able to sleep in normal beds, with regular linen. And that I dont have to deal with a tiny fridge/freezer and a broken wash machine every 4 weeks.

I just want to add that I took along all clothing/games/books/hangers etc but def got new containers since the closets and drawers were completely different sizing.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
All the more reason to stop this meshugas of buying expensive furniture for chosson /kallah.

Personally, our most expensive furniture, aside from the master bedroom where we bought good quality beds, were our ikea wardrobes. Most of our stuff is either second hand and/or ikea style.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 3:33 pm
imaima wrote:
1. It depends on the new place and lay out. Maybe old furniture won't fit a new room to serve the intended purpose. Maybe old items are more expnesive to transport than to replace.

2. If people are already getting money from the bank with a good (low) interest rate, they can use this chance to buy big ticket items cheaper (cheaper in the long run). Makes sense financially

3. People might have hated these items all along and waited for moving into a new house to get everything new. Also.: New technically superior appliances appear every year. So they waited to upgrade.

Yes! I’ve been living super frugally with broken dining room chairs and ripped up living room furniture because I WILL NOT buy new furniture (ok I only buy second hand stuff to begin with anyway) until I buy a house. Ive put away money and I’ve only bought second hand furniture or got for free until now so that when I am able to move I can have a fresh start with things that make me happy

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 4:01 pm
Pamela wrote:
Why don’t you do your thing and let other people do their thing? Classic case of MYOB.

👍👍👍

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 4:34 pm
I just moved, so I could kind of relate. In our old house, I got used to the look of my old furniture.
Now that I moved into a new nice house, there's this feeling of wanting it to look nice and new.

I wish I could afford to buy new furniture, but I did find myself spending more on certain decorative items that I would never have bought in my old apartment.

And sometimes, buying a house and moving is such a huge expense, so it feels like another few thousand dollars won't make it or break it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 4:48 pm
So I am in the process of moving right now and am literally throwing almost everything I can away. We are leaving a 2,000 sq ft home to a gut renovated 7,200 sq ft home. We're taking two couches, about 50 medium / small boxes and two sets of mattresses. Everything else - gone. We've tossed our old linens, towels, even shower curtains. I'm giving away my dining room set (and china cabinet), my daughter's lovely furniture, my bedroom furniture, basement couch, etc. Why? Because it's all really, really used and I haven't replaced linens in 15 years. Or pots in 17 years. My dining room set is literally 20 years old (don't get me wrong- it's still in great shape and well loved but we've grown out of the stuff we bought as newlyweds. My daughter's bedroom set - it was perfect when she was 6. She's bas mitzvah and wants a more grown up look to her room. The new house has built in closets with custom shelving. Our new kitchen deserves beautiful new pots. Our dining room has an amazing new style so we're modernizing our design tastes. Is any of the necessary? No. But neither is moving into such a large house and bh, we have the money to do this. We do very well in life and can afford to spend on such things without being in debt or borrowing money. We don't even have a mortgage and yes, we pay full tuition and I do drive a very nice car. I didn't realize this sort of thing was a trend, per se, but being able to make major life changes and have an aesthetic overhaul feels nice when moving into a new house. I think if you can afford to live comfortably and refurnish in a new house, go for it. Life is short. Eat the cake, buy the shoes. So long as you are financially responsible, who cares? Bh, we can 1000% afford to do this. No one is crying poverty here. But we also try not to rub our good fortune in other's faces. My kids are respectful, hardworking and money conscious. We give a lot to tzedakah and no one would realize how big our new house is unless you roamed the outside (we're on a deep hill and the house from the front is very unassuming and the size is really off the back.) But... we are still going to enjoy our lives and love our new home.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 4:51 pm
I feel like I'm missing something here. iyH moving soon and the furniture is coming with us. There are some pieces we don't need- like the extra kitchen island. And some that need to be purchased- like a couch for the playroom and beds for the guest room. We considered replacing our bedroom set (inherited from my grandparents) since now we can fit bigger beds, but decided to wait until kids need the twin beds and we have a bit more money to spare. We'd also like to replace our dining room table with one that fits more than 6 since we'll have the space, and have real dining room chairs, but we're going to just keep an eye on sales for them at this point.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 4:59 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
So I am in the process of moving right now and am literally throwing almost everything I can away. We are leaving a 2,000 sq ft home to a gut renovated 7,200 sq ft home. We're taking two couches, about 50 medium / small boxes and two sets of mattresses. Everything else - gone. We've tossed our old linens, towels, even shower curtains. I'm giving away my dining room set (and china cabinet), my daughter's lovely furniture, my bedroom furniture, basement couch, etc. Why? Because it's all really, really used and I haven't replaced linens in 15 years. Or pots in 17 years. My dining room set is literally 20 years old (don't get me wrong- it's still in great shape and well loved but we've grown out of the stuff we bought as newlyweds. My daughter's bedroom set - it was perfect when she was 6. She's bas mitzvah and wants a more grown up look to her room. The new house has built in closets with custom shelving. Our new kitchen deserves beautiful new pots. Our dining room has an amazing new style so we're modernizing our design tastes. Is any of the necessary? No. But neither is moving into such a large house and bh, we have the money to do this. We do very well in life and can afford to spend on such things without being in debt or borrowing money. We don't even have a mortgage and yes, we pay full tuition and I do drive a very nice car. I didn't realize this sort of thing was a trend, per se, but being able to make major life changes and have an aesthetic overhaul feels nice when moving into a new house. I think if you can afford to live comfortably and refurnish in a new house, go for it. Life is short. Eat the cake, buy the shoes. So long as you are financially responsible, who cares? Bh, we can 1000% afford to do this. No one is crying poverty here. But we also try not to rub our good fortune in other's faces. My kids are respectful, hardworking and money conscious. We give a lot to tzedakah and no one would realize how big our new house is unless you roamed the outside (we're on a deep hill and the house from the front is very unassuming and the size is really off the back.) But... we are still going to enjoy our lives and love our new home.

I wish you muh mazal and bracha in your new home! May you be zoche to always be on the giving end!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics