Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Trend of Replacing everything in your new house...
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 8:02 pm
Omg why do you care? People I know who do that donate all of it so someone else is gaining. I can't believe people spend this much time analyzing what other people do and then declaring what's the right or wrong way to do things. Sheesh. Seems people are seriously jealous.

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 8:22 pm
This is all very interesting to read. I live in Lkwd and Bh was able to buy young (I got married with over 100k saved bh!! I’m super hard working) I bought and kept the home simple and furnished simply (I’m frugal and parents and inked don’t have $)
Lately a few different conversations have been coming up between work mates and people are very jealous of the young money. I’m seriously nervous got the Ayin hara on some of there families. Bh I’m very very grateful for what I have and I am not one to talk badly about homes going up around me BUT when a 35 y.o woman who works super duper hard (as does her husb) and they are just making ends meet when they see a mid 20s couple buying a 900k home on their block and gutting it completely and only putting in brand new furnishing down to the pots...? Yep. Doesn’t leave the neighbors with warm fuzzy feelings... yes u can do what u want but also be in tuned to what your doing and the pressures u may be causing ..

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 8:26 pm
lol. I just moved to a bigger house. Got rid of the 15-year-old couch that was falling apart at the seams and the master bedroom set that didn't fit in new bedroom. Gave away the high-riser after finally being able to buy normal guest beds. And yes, bought new pots to replace the ones that were well past their prime, as well as new dishes to replace the set that had 7 plates left and the Shabbos china that I've been ogling since I got married, now that I have enough cabinet space for it.

At this stage of my life, a lot of my things are ready for replacement. Just happened to come out at the same time as our new house.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 8:53 pm
A friend of mine just mentioned how impressed she was with Mrs.X that she was okay with showing her new house even though the kids beds still had the old fuzzy blankets on them...

Maybe the fact that “viewing” a newly moved in house is a “thing” puts pressure on the homeowners to make sure everything is fully finished and the look is complete.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:19 pm
Why are threads on people's spending so extreme.

There is a way to live prudently without having broken chairs and ripped furniture or going to the other extreme and using credit cards to finance fancy furniture.

While I don't have a spy into my friends' bank accounts, the people I know have normal homes - or normal within what seems to reflect their income (based on their ages and professions).

With IKEA there really is no reason for someone to live with broken furniture.

I believe in saving for a rainy day but after my brother died, I realized that no one is guaranteed anything and so I started using my "good" china and my real silver.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:30 am
Whats the “Yad Sheini” contact number or website?

tia

jflower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:49 am
flowerpower wrote:
Now I understand why Yad Sheini is always posting good furniture.

Can you please post a link to yad sheini? I was unable to find it via a Google search. Also, where is it located? Thanks so much.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:57 am
jflower wrote:
Can you please post a link to yad sheini? I was unable to find it via a Google search. Also, where is it located? Thanks so much.

Afaik it's an Israeli second hand site, https://www.yad2.co.il/

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:02 am
I moved a few years ago. I totally refurnished my larger home for free, with the stuff other people (some of whom were moving) gave away!

*48" beds in my DD's room instead of highriser - FREE
*desk in DD's room - FREE
*piano in my living room - FREE
*couch in my living room - FREE (my old couch is in my family room)
*coffee tables and end tables for living and family rooms - FREE
*antique-style chairs in living room - FREE
*new set of china for 16 - FREE
*new buffet in dining room - FREE
*decorative table in foyer with faux plant - FREE
*outdoor deck furniture - FREE
*tapestry linen set for my bedroom - FREE

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:12 am
Window wrote:
So they’re stupid and you’re smart
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:12 am
No idea how ppl can afford paying for brand new furniture when just buying a new house with all those expenses. Is everybody that rich besides for me?

Reality

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 11:39 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
I moved a few years ago. I totally refurnished my larger home for free, with the stuff other people (some of whom were moving) gave away!

*48" beds in my DD's room instead of highriser - FREE
*desk in DD's room - FREE
*piano in my living room - FREE
*couch in my living room - FREE (my old couch is in my family room)
*coffee tables and end tables for living and family rooms - FREE
*antique-style chairs in living room - FREE
*new set of china for 16 - FREE
*new buffet in dining room - FREE
*decorative table in foyer with faux plant - FREE
*outdoor deck furniture - FREE
*tapestry linen set for my bedroom - FREE

Moving all that stuff into your house from ten different locations - not free

Time spent scouring freebies - not free

I'm not saying it wasn't worth it. Just that it's not free either.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:36 pm
Does anyone know the Yad Sheini website?

I also googled and came up with nothing.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:39 pm
It's not a website search yad shniya on Instagram.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:48 pm
Reality wrote:
Moving all that stuff into your house from ten different locations - not free

Time spent scouring freebies - not free

I'm not saying it wasn't worth it. Just that it's not free either.

OK - cost of gas. Borrowed my BIL's van and did the transport myself. Barely any time spent scouring freebies - Lakewood has a Freebay and got them off there, very easy. And definitely worth it.

ETA - I did use a mover for the piano, and to take away my old one.

Zehava

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 12:51 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Recently I’ve seen a certain acceptable trend in my circles, and it really gets me...
When someone buys/ builds themselves a new house ( which I’m sure is maxing out most people financially) the trend is to basically not take along any of your existing furniture, bedding etc.
Some even replace pots, dishes etc.

It’s become almost the expected norm.
I understand wanting to replace your items, but why not wait a bit- recoup some funding and then replace at your leisure.

It used to be that anyone buying a house would be okay with furnishing the minimum, or using their old stuff......

Someone mentioned that she’s not taking along any of her kids old games since the boxes don’t look good anymore....

Why the heck do you care?
We work with a designer so we want the furniture and bedding going in to match the color scheme and be streamlined.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 1:10 pm
The trend is scary imho. It’s like the bugaboo but on a much grander scale. Some people do it and then it becomes the “ thing “ to do. It’s all about keeping up with the Jones’s. Amd I wonder how many people can really afford this. Saying this as someone who would have been able to go this route but chose not to.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:00 pm
my husband does appliance installation and he cant handle when people ask for discounts he feels if they had money to spend on all the new appliance how much more is it to pay for installing?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 05 2021, 10:15 pm
My friend was extremely hurt, when her daughter sold a "brown" Italian bedroom set that was 5 years young and was purchased for $8,000, sold for $20000

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Aug 06 2021, 12:34 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
My friend was extremely hurt, when her daughter sold a "brown" Italian bedroom set that was 5 years young and was purchased for $8,000, sold for $20000

What did this person buy to replace the brown wood set?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics