Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is Kaaterskill Falls Kid Friendly?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 1:24 pm
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing the hike up to the falls with children (youngest being 3), and wondering if anyone has any experience... Thanks!

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:53 pm
When we did it the youngest was 7 (boy, natural mountain goat). I wouldn't recommend for younger kids as it's not like a path with mulch-you are climbing up the entire time, over rocks and grabbing onto tree trunks to stay steady. I don't think it's for little kids. There's no way you can bring a stroller, either.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 2:59 pm
I just googled it, and it seems that the parking lot on the bottom of the falls is closed, and you need to approach it from the top. I don't have experience with that hike, so do some research first. It's a multi level waterfall, so there are several different parts of the trail.

morah.coffee

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:14 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I just googled it, and it seems that the parking lot on the bottom of the falls is closed, and you need to approach it from the top. I don't have experience with that hike, so do some research first. It's a multi level waterfall, so there are several different parts of the trail.

The top is an easy path but it's not much of a hike, you get to the observation deck in about 5 minutes. It is gorgeous though

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:20 pm
morah.coffee wrote:
The top is an easy path but it's not much of a hike, you get to the observation deck in about 5 minutes. It is gorgeous though

Oh I remember we did this once. However, the "observation deck" was a big slab of rock. There was no fence of any sort, just a 100+ foot drop to the rocks below. We did not get very close. 10/10 would not recommend (unless they've done some work there since, or there is a different deck we were not aware of.).

morah.coffee

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 3:41 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Oh I remember we did this once. However, the "observation deck" was a big slab of rock. There was no fence of any sort, just a 100+ foot drop to the rocks below. We did not get very close. 10/10 would not recommend (unless they've done some work there since, or there is a different deck we were not aware of.).

Yeah they redid everything and it's a deck with fencing now

happy12

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:00 pm
morah.coffee wrote:
Yeah they redid everything and it's a deck with fencing now

After many people fell and a few deaths.
Definitely not for young children even if they open the parking lot at the bottom of the falls. You still have to walk about 1/2 a mile along a busy curving roadway against a mountain on one side and a steep drop on the other.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Jun 10 2021, 4:10 pm
People have died there. I remember one summer we went and my father refrained from telling us that a few days before we hiked the mountain bears had come down and everyone ran and people died
😂
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics