Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Attn those who work in frum places
1  2  Next

TravelHearter

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 2:15 am
Do you get paid for yom tov? Erev? Chol hamoed? Maternity?
Is it your full salary? Minimum wage instead of regular wage? No salary?
What kind of vacation/sick days do you get?

I’m not talking about those in education. I’m also not talking about those in large established corporations.
I’m talking more of a small, young business/company/organization

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:37 am
I worked at an office where I was the only full time employee and there was one part timer. I had an awfully stingy boss and got paid for the days I worked only. No yom tov, no days off at all. If I was sick, I didn't get paid. I took off for vacation 1 time in the 4-5 years I was working there. He decided to not open on Fridays in the summer, I didn't get paid. I was literally running the place, he's still not over it that I left.

Oldest

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:52 am
I get paid for yt including chol hamoed, but the trade off is that we don't get off on legal holidays
They are very accommodating with maternity leave allow up to 8 weeks without a question, after that its on a case by case basis, but they are open to discussion
Im currently hourly and I am paid the going rate for where I live and get PTO based on how many hours I work

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 9:55 am
I started a thread about this recently. I get paid yt incl chol hamoed but no other paid days at all.
Maternity leave is covered by the government. It used to be 2/3 regular pay but now I think it’s 3/4

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 10:00 am
I work in a frum business with between 5-10 employees. Yom Tov is off, but not Chol Hamoed. We take turns taking PTO for those days so there is always someone to cover. Get some legal holidays off (the more "neutral" ones, like Memorial Day and Labor Day, not x-mas) and an additional 10 days which can be used as either PTO or sick.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 10:11 am
I work in a grocery store The store is closed on shabbat so don't get paid. get paid all other days the store is closed which is to say young to because we are open on all legal holidays.. And by the way that goes for all the workers cashiers and now guys too they get paid all the Jewish holidays and unless they take time off you know their vacation days for holiday they don't we do allow them to take either Chrstmas or Thanksgiving but I don't know if they're getting paid for that or if they just make them sign up so they know how much coverage we need

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 10:21 am
TravelHearter wrote:
Do you get paid for yom tov? Erev? Chol hamoed? Maternity?
Is it your full salary? Minimum wage instead of regular wage? No salary?
What kind of vacation/sick days do you get?

I’m not talking about those in education. I’m also not talking about those in large established corporations.
I’m talking more of a small, young business/company/organization

So we get paid erev, even though we work half day - Full pay
Chol Hamoed & YT full pay - we dont work
2 weeks vacation - paid in full
Maternity - no pay. workers file for PFL
sick days - paid in full, Not sure if there is a set amount of days

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 10:26 am
I work for a 3 person business. I get all yomtov off and paid. I work erev yomtov and chol ha moed comes off my vacation days. I get a full salary commensurate with the market rate for my profession. After all yomtovim and major legal holidays I get two weeks for sick/vacation etc.

Maternity I have gotten 3-4 weeks paid.

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 10:34 am
I have ten paid vacation days/ sick days that don’t roll over from year to year. They pay for Yom Tov or any days that they are closed (obv not for shab and sun). They are open erev yom tov and chol hamoed so you only get paid those days if you come in to work.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 10:50 am
Have 10 vacation/sick days and legal holidays off. Yom tov is not paid but we generally receive a generous bonus twice a year that covers it. I don’t think that’s company policy or necessarily even to be relied on at my company, more of a result of it being a successful company with a generous CEO. Chol hamoed and erev yom tov are regular work days though there’s no consequence for not coming in, and many don’t.
No paid maternity leave.

TravelHearter

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:06 am
Isn’t it illegal to not have paid maternity leave?
Honestly that’s just the worst. Who could afford to miss 6 weeks of pay?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:09 am
TravelHearter wrote:

I think it's an issue of company size. But you can take FMLA and they have to hold your job for you.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:13 am
TravelHearter wrote:

It is legal in the U.S. to have maternity leave unpaid. If there is a short-term disability policy in place it may pay for some of it ,and PTO/sick days can be used.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:15 am
TravelHearter wrote:

No, they just have to hold the position for you. You can apply for disability (FMLA) and/or PFL, neither of which is fully paid leave, but better than nothing.

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:43 am
I get paid for yontif, not erev or chol hamoed. The nature of the business requires most people to work chol hamoed but we usually leave early or come late and can take some days off just not all.
I’m paid ok, way more than minimum wage but I’m a professional with experience. I could have made more elsewhere but this has a social life, decent hours. This particular place is known for being stingy with salaries. The longer I’m here I’ve been able to negotiate shorter hours, working from home so even though I didn’t get an official raise I’m getting more per hour because I work and commute less.
I’ve never worked anywhere that pays maternity any I’ve works in a few places frum/not frum/not Jewish. I was entitled to FMLA and disability and was not given any issue with taking off. I was bothered many once or twice with something really time sensitive but was otherwise left alone.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:45 am
singleagain wrote:
I think it's an issue of company size. But you can take FMLA and they have to hold your job for you.

Not really. AFAIK, the board of ed on nyc does not pay for maternity leave at all and I think they are quite big.

pizzapie

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 11:51 am
TravelHearter wrote:

It's illegal to fire someone for taking off after having a baby. FMLA means that the company has to hold your job for a specific amount of time but there are stipulations. In order to qualify for FMLA you need to have been employed for at least a year and have worked a minimum number of hours over the past year. Additionally, your company is not legally obligated to pay you for maternity leave and many companies don't. In certain states you can qualify for short term disability and get paid through the state for a portion of your salary but in most states that's not the case.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 12:02 pm
TravelHearter wrote:

I recently had a baby, and where I live you have to take Pete family leave or disability. However, I work for family and they usually do cover my maternity leave completely. This time though, main office put me on maternity leave when they found that I had a baby. I ended up getting a note for my doctor that I was able to work from when my baby was a week old, and they back paid me for the whole maternity leave.

amother
Bluebell

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 12:07 pm
I don't know anyone who gets fully paid maternity leave!

I live in Ohio where laws are different. No such thing as qualifying for disability after having a baby. You can take FMLA but that doesn't get you any income- you just don't lose your job. Hurray.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 12:07 pm
I work for a small company with Jewish and non jewish employees.
Owner is frum.
If someone has a baby they can get short term disability or FMLA. The company doesn't pay for maternity. They are not legally obligated to.
Office is closed on jewish holidays but not erev or chol hamoed. Legal holidays are paid as well.
Anyone who wants to take PTO for erev and chol hamoed can.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics