Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Why Some Orthodox Jewish Women Won’t Get Vaccinated
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 6:26 pm
fleetwood wrote:
True..but it is indicative of a lot of women in our community...

No, it’s entirely skewed, not indicative of anything.

amother
Milk

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 6:35 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
No one is assuming anything, they are just saying they want answers. This is a new type of vaccine, so it can’t be compared to the others.

If they're picking and choosing correlations based on no evidence, it is assuming. They want answers to their assumptions that they're could be a connection from point A to point B. If they want answers in general to the idea that there could be long term effects, don't add in your assumptions, just stick to the general aspect.

Because when you add in assumptions (especially those that aren't scientifically sound), it colors the entire stance. The focus gets transferred from the concern of long term effects to the idea that the vaccine can cause that assumption. I.e. if you say that you don't want to vax because the vaccine can possibly cause infertility, the focus gets transferred to the infertility assumption and not to the concern about long term effects.

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 6:41 pm
For what it’s worth, the author of the article is a frum woman.

It’s interesting to me that women on this site proudly espouse the positions she writes about but then get angry that the NYT dares write about them.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 6:48 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
For what it’s worth, the author of the article is a frum woman.

It’s interesting to me that women on this site proudly espouse the positions she writes about but then get angry that the NYT dares write about them.

For the umpteenth time, I am annoyed that the author dismissed these concerns as
"unsubstantiated rumors" and "misinformation".

She stated that "AT THIS TIME, there is no evidence to support these claims."

Nobody has substantiated that the vaccines DON'T cause infertility.

There are doctors and researchers who have expressed concern over these vaccines -
that was not mentioned.

The author omitted that this is an EXPERIMENTAL vaccine and is NOT FDA approved.

Also omitted that Covid has a 99% survival rate, even more for younger population.

And that there are good treatments such as Hydroxycloroquine and Ivermectin.

It was an article with an agenda to unfairly smear those who are hesitant to take the vaccine.

The article unfairly focused on Orthodox Jews when about 1/3 of Americans don't want to take
this vaccine.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
Well, ethical and honest journalism has long gone out the window. That's not news, and we are all aware of it. True journalism no longer exists and it hasn't for some time now.

So it's all the more reason to check our actions, precisely because of it. We know that sensationalism and agendas are now what controls journalism, so there's no reason to constantly feed the bear. Especially as Jews. We don't need to add fuel to the flames. This attitude could have been handled in a decent manner, without drawing more critical eyes upon us.

No, it's less of a reason. They'll hate on us for something else if we vaccinate. If we were getting fair coverage, you might have an argument. But we're not. So why do we need to calibrate our actions for the benefit of the awful one sided NYT journalists?

amother
Milk

Post Fri, Jun 11 2021, 7:05 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
No, it's less of a reason. They'll hate on us for something else if we vaccinate. If we were getting fair coverage, you might have an argument. But we're not. So why do we need to calibrate our actions for the benefit of the awful one sided NYT journalists?

For our benefit, not for anyone else's. Directly feeding the bear is not the same as having them crawl for crumbs.

If you consider the optics, it really paints us in a bad light. We were one of the first with markedly high Covid numbers, we were then the ones in the news publicly eschewing the guidelines, and now we're the ones in the news proclaiming that we're refusing to vaccinate based on rumors and misinformation. The overall picture this paints is really not a good one.

Since we were all very well aware that the NYT painted us in a bad light with Covid and with the safety guidelines, we should have thought about our actions in response to the vaccine. Just because they painted us in a bad light before, doesn't mean we should literally hand them fuel to continue. A well orchestrated, level-headed approach to the vaccines was called for, and not one filled with gross exaggerations, unsubstantiated rumors and faulty science.

Continuously shrugging off our behaviors with the refrain that they'll find something else to hate us with, will only end up hurting us. We are hurting ourselves, and explicitly drawing critical eyes upon us.

amother
Stone

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Miriam Schwarzschild, a Brooklyn-based midwife who works with the ultra-Orthodox community, said several of her clients had been upset that she had gotten vaccinated.

“Many of them felt betrayed,” she said. “It’s taken me many years to build up trust within this community, and I think my choice to get the vaccine set me back. For many, the vaccine is a bridge too far.”

I don't understand. Because SHE got vaccinated, her clients are upset? What's it to them? How does her getting vaccinated threaten them? They should be licking her shoes in gratitude--now she can't infect them.

There's no cure for stupid.

amother
Poppy

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:49 pm
We don't need to compensate for the shortcomings of msm.

We did not draw any eyes upon us. This "journalist" was looking to rumble.

We did not feed any bear. And we didn't add any fuel. The journalists choose who and what tk include. Even if they did hear and find something more rational and measured and I can guarantee you they did ... It wasn't news that's fit to print.

It's really not us. It's them.

leah233

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:55 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
I don't understand. Because SHE got vaccinated, her clients are upset? What's it to them? How does her getting vaccinated threaten them? They should be licking her shoes in gratitude--now she can't infect them.

There's no cure for stupid.

Either she is lying or the NYT is distorting what she said. And it's probably a mixture of both.

Because if she really cares about building trust there are few things she could have done that would have destroyed it more than badmouthing her clients and community to the New York Times.

That is a bridge too far...

piegirl

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 2:28 am
leah233 wrote:
Either she is lying or the NYT is distorting what she said. And it's probably a mixture of both.

Because if she really cares about building trust there are few things she could have done that would have destroyed it more than badmouthing her clients and community to the New York Times.

That is a bridge too far...

She has a Jewish name but she’s not Jewish.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics