Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Trying on clothes with shaitel or tichel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 10:55 am
Just went clothing shopping for the first time since getting married.

I tried going in a tichel because I didn't want to mess my shaitel up by pulling things over my head but it kept coming off in the communal dressing room.

How do you cover your hair and make sure it stays presentable looking while trying on clothes?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 10:58 am
I never shop in a store with a communal dressing room. If clothing doesn't go nicely over my wig, I take off my wig when trying on.

bsy

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:33 pm
I hate trying on clothes with a sheital. Its really hard

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just went clothing shopping for the first time since getting married.

I tried going in a tichel because I didn't want to mess my shaitel up by pulling things over my head but it kept coming off in the communal dressing room.

How do you cover your hair and make sure it stays presentable looking while trying on clothes?

If it’s all women in the dressing room,what’s problem if Tichel doesn’t stay on well?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:52 pm
I usually remove my mitpachat. Even in a communal dressing room, its all women, so its not a big deal. Although, I have not experienced a communal dressing room in all my years in israel Smile

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 12:56 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
If it’s all women in the dressing room,what’s problem if Tichel doesn’t stay on well?

I never uncover my hair in public & I'm sure many others don't either.

4g01o

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:04 pm
I've never heard of a communal dressing room but I always try clothes on with my sheitel. Just take a little care when putting things over your head. You can smooth out the messy look with your hands afterwards.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
I never uncover my hair in public & I'm sure many others don't either.

you wont uncover your hair in public but youll get undressed in front of others in changing room?

Op, just wear a snood and keep your hand on your head.

I never go shopping with a sheital on. Married a year

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:43 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
you wont uncover your hair in public but youll get undressed in front of others in changing room?

Not to derail the thread...and I personally go in a snood and have no problem adjusting it as necessary...but yes, I learned that hair is a special level. And I would change in a communal room (not down to skin... shell and tights...) And still to my absolute best to keep my snood on

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:48 pm
I shop in a tichel and adjust occasionally. I use a velvet band so it's pretty secure.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:55 pm
Communal dressing rooms...only seen it in NY Surprised Surprised Can't Believe It
Would never use them, not for clothing and definitely not removing my head covering.

I do try on clothing with my sheitel on, married over 10 years, I try to get dressed carefully, and fix the sheitel with my fingers if necessary. As an aside, the clothing will look different with a sheitel vs a tichels.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 1:56 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Not to derail the thread...and I personally go in a snood and have no problem adjusting it as necessary...but yes, I learned that hair is a special level. And I would change in a communal room (not down to skin... shell and tights...) And still to my absolute best to keep my snood on

Yes to this, which is why many women will go swimming in bathing suits (some more covered some less) but still cover their hair.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 2:01 pm
Brenda’s has a communal- wish they didn’t
Maybe s&w still does- haven’t been there in years

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 2:15 pm
Wow! I've never heard of communal changing rooms. I would probably estimate if the clothes look like they would fit and just try them on at home. If you hold a top across your chest you can see if it would fit you in the chest area, without trying it on. You won't be able to see if it suits you though.
If you are trying on in store, I would probably wear my sheital as it stays on better and just try things on carefully and neaten the sheital afterwards with my fingers.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 3:59 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Brenda’s has a communal- wish they didn’t
Maybe s&w still does- haven’t been there in years

I think S&W has private ones... In Flatbush, Fashion Island has both, Talking Fashion has communal unless that's changed in the last few years.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:19 pm
Junee in Lakewood has both. I always use the communal one because the lines for the private ones are 45 min to an hour long in the busy shopping times.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:20 pm
Op - if you’re yeshivish or chassidish we really don’t take off our head covering in public. Just try to get the clothing over your head carefully and then straighten your shaitel or snood. Very, very rare occasions did I remove my wig in a private dressing room. It’s just to hard for me to put on and adjust when I’m not home.
I’ve found that obviously skirts are not an issue, shirts have a little give, dresses can be an problem sometimes.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:23 pm
What is a communal changing room? Everyone gets dressed in one room? There’s no private rooms?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:26 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:

If you read upthread, you'll see that I wrote that I don't shop in stores that have a communal dressing room. And uncovering hair isn't like changing, it's a different level. I go swimming in a bathing suit, I don't uncover my hair.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:29 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
What is a communal changing room? Everyone gets dressed in one room? There’s no private rooms?

Yes, everyone tries on in a big room. Ewwww.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics