Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I NEED YOU
1  2  Next

bigdeal

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 7:17 pm
so somone I grew up with passed away this week. She was a FUN person - always happy ....kept her cancer a secret- and left all her children amazing letters. Im telling you NOBODY knew she wasnt well... she was the life of the party. Left this world VERY suddenly.
Anyway- together with her family- Id like to start a ______ in her memory. We have some funds. It must be something that involves simcha or laughter since that personifies her....
Ideas?????
Since mekimi is a cheer up squad and they already send dvd players, laptops, cheer up squads- I need something ELSE - something amazing That will help people ( sick) We're going to do it in her memory- and would like to do it ASAP ( before her shloshim) ANY ideas?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 8:02 pm
how sad, is it the mother nebuch that passed away in bp? its terrible!

I will try to think of something. what about something for siblings and families of sick kids -that might be nice. I know they do it a little already by chai lifeline and mekimi but this should be strickly this. like shabbosim, afternoons, outings...?

louche

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 8:10 pm
sponsor appearances of medical clowns at children's hospital wards or treatment centers. yes, there is such a thing as medical clowning. these are clowns who perform in hospitals and other facilities but have special training in what not to say/do/touch depending on the patients' conditions.

Or sponsor kids for Chai Lifeline's Camp Simcha.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 8:11 pm
hm - not easy when someone leaves us - whether suddenly or not ... so sorry ...

since it was purim this week - and she was a FUN loving person - how about sponsoring some sort of carnival in adar for some sort of needy situation ... cancer kids in the hospital ... kids who lost moms to cancer event ... not quite sure any details though

bigdeal

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 11:19 pm
these are good ideas but I want to start something thats around for a long time , like a KEren something or a Zichron something
what needs are there ??????? In teh cheering up and support department???

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 1:32 am
I second the idea of doing something for the families. they nebach get so sucked into the hard life that it is...
meals, entertainment, something to put some semblance of normalcy back into thier lives.
what about something like make a wish? or shopping sprees? the kids get to fill up a cart of goodies from wherever...

hatzlacha bigdeal, lemme know if u need me...

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 8:59 am
Honestly, as a mother of a sick child I can tell you that B"H, there are loads of resources out there. Between Chai Lifeline, Mekimi, Ben Ish, and Hands On For Children, it's really all covered. However, the one area that is not covered, is babysitting for the siblings while parents are at treatment, appointments, inpatient hospitalizations, and/or out of town. Siblings are then thrown around each time someplace else which cause instability of the home for the child [-sibling]. If there could be an official babysitting service in the home, where the organization finds the girl/woman and arranging it - pays for it - and figures out the details, that would be amazing.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:01 am
I don't know if this is too crazy and if there's something already like this around, but if there's a satellite-hook-up type of gemach that would be great- you could start one that would enable family members who can't attend a simcha would be able to share via hookup... ? I don't know if this is complicated and if there's already something around, or if it's even too costly but this could be very special... Smile

mommalah

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:10 am
Old young-

It's a great idea and certainly not expensive. All you need are 2 macs (apple computers) and an internet connection. Don't bother with an unreliable pc. It is virtually free!!!

eggplant

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:36 am
The babysitting sound like a very nice idea. Let me know if you need my help

Smiles

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 11:46 am
eggplant wrote:
The babysitting sound like a very nice idea. Let me know if you need my help

ditto!

An organization that focuses just on babysitting would be a tremendous thing. I think it's a wonderful idea.

chayitty

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 12:12 pm
the babysitting deos seem like a good idea.....let me know if I can be of any assistance....man the kosher comic books wouldve been fun!!

simplesima

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 12:18 pm
Wow as I was reading this post I was thinking,no not good enough untill I got to the babysitting I think its wonderfull idea!
hatzlocha and boroch dayen hames to your dear friend.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 1:28 pm
im in for babysitting too.

I also think going on outings for siblings sounds nice, they need the attention

sruth1

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 5:03 pm
How about sending Baskets to patients in Hospitals with books and cross word puzzles, and things like that for adults. Stuffed Animals coloring books and crayons for kids.

mom7270

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 5:29 pm
I was thinking of a funschool for siblings of sick kids... or sick kids themselves. like on sundays and erev yomim tovim... get them off their mothers hands??? Confused

bigdeal

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 5:56 pm
thanks for sharing

Squash

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 9:50 pm
another vote for babysitting.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:06 pm
honestly you want to do something that will REALLY help. start an organization that helps sick children out of the ny area. There are many sick, frum children out of town & believe me when I tell you that when organizations are started intown- our kids are either not thought of or ignored. there are few organizations to make meals & cheer up our kids. The innovations for this year in my city was a cabinet in the labor and delivery unit and the er with grape juice, gefilte fish & matza. oh and also to start selling kosher tuna and egg sandwiches in the cafeteria of ONE hospital. I understand if this isn't satisfying or isn't feasible seeing that you aren't from out here. but that's just my two cents.

bigdeal

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:11 pm
a mother you are right
but I am starting something in Brooklyn- near her children- they need to see her name HERE ( plus there is still a need here)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics