Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training and upsherin

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 8:41 pm
my son is 2.5 yo and will probably have an upsherin on pesach. since he will be getting his yarmulka then, s/o (a close family member) recommended that we toilet train him before so he can also get tzitzis then. the weather is already warmer, and I was anyways waiting for warm weather, so thats not an issue. what do you think? have you done upsherin without t. trning? what should I do?

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 8:50 pm
Have you asked your rav about wearing tzitzis before toilet training?

We do tthe upsherin on the 3rd birthday. One of my sons was very hard to train, a couple of weeks before his birthday I asked our rav about it and I was surprised to hear him say that it was not a problem to wear tzitzis and a diaper (in the event he trained about a week or so before his birthday).

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 8:54 pm
I never thought about this until last week my MIL mentioned something about not being allowed to wear tzitzis if not toilet-trained....I'm not sure if it's halacha though...

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 10:08 pm
I never thought of it being halacha. I just didn't give my son his tzitzis until he was toilet trained because it would constantly get wet when he has an accident.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 2:40 am
I didn't think it was a halachic issue. I thought it was just a matter of practicalities. Also, the whole 'you're a big boy, you have a haircut, wear a yarmulka, wear tzitzis thing' doesn't really 'shtym' with wearing a diaper, if you know what I mean. like you are either a big boy or you are not. so thats what I thought. and I'm not sure he's not ready for the t. trng yet.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 5:28 am
A few points:
1. Did you ask a rav about cutting his hair before 3? Of course it's not halacha, but our (Litvish!) rov holds that if you do it even a day before their third birthday, you may as well not even grow their hair at all.
2. The same rav told us that you can put on tzitzis even if they aren't fully trained.
3. It's too close to Pesach now to start. Leave it until after, the weather will be warmer (on average, I hope no warmer than it was the last few days Tongue Out ).
4. Why do you want to start him with a kippa now? From experience (plus our rov's advice) if you leave it till 3 plus party and big 'big boy' status tralala, you have much less problems afterwards.
5. I presume Pesach means chol hamoed. This is probably the only real halachic shaila in the whole list.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training